AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to update you all on my recent service request for my 5050. I purchased my 5050 from Kin at TVA back in April. Well, within a couple of weeks I called TVA to have someone come out and check out the buzz I was hearing. This in of itself took several weeks since Kin was out ill and I couldn’t get a response from anyone else until I brought the issue up on this board. The delay in getting a service call concerned me since my 30 days had passed but Kin assured me that it wouldn’t matter since I made the initial contact within the 30 days. Well, TVA contacted Pio for me and they sent out a 3rd party repair service, Network Video Services. They came out and agreed that there was a buzz and said they had to take into their shop for more testing to see which components needed to be repaired. This is the point where it really went downhill.

A week later NVS called me back stating that they didn’t hear the buzz in their shop and that it must be our power source. I am using a Monster HTS1000 and our house is new so I know that the panel is receiving relatively clean current. Anyway, they returned the panel and immediately we noticed a dent in the screen about the size of a pencil eraser!! We refused to take delivery of this damage panel so they took it back to their shop. I called TVA and Kin recommended that we pick up the panel and to take pictures of the dent and e-mail them back to him for follow up. This was on July 16th. Kin assured me that I would be taken care of if this couldn’t be resolved since NVS was adamant that the dent in the panel was a manufacturing defect that they were not responsible for. Well after several e-mails and voicemails to Kin with no response, I called TVA today and spoke to James and he basically said that TVA won’t do anything about it. He said that Pio looked at the pictures and confirmed that it wasn’t a manufacturer defect so Pio will not warranty it. He said it is between me and the service center. TVA is not going to take the panel back even though I had requested service within my 30 day window.

The moral of the story: Be very very careful with any 3rd party repair centers and take plenty of pictures before they take it from your house. Also make sure that you do all of this within 30-days in case you need to return it to TVA. My only option now is to take it up with NVS by suing them or something. I am quite unsatisfied with TVA’s service and response. While TVA did go the extra step to help me resolve this buzz by contacting Pioneer, their 5-Star guarantee on the panel didn’t live up to it’s billing. Also, their inability to keep me informed of the status of this repair left me disappointed.

In the end I have an expensive panel that is damaged with a buzz that I can hear (but have gotten used to).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Noted for when I buy my plasma in the near-future. But that really sucks, man. Hope it all works out for you in the end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seems like you should get a new set due to the buzz. The dent was after the fact. If you still have the buzz, TVA should replace.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Man that gives me the shivers just thinking about it - especially with a $5k display.

When I was considering the same PDP and spoke with them a few months ago, I expressed concern about all of the reported buzzing issues. They assured me if that were the case they would replace it within the 30 day period, really playing up their customer service and the value of paying a couple of hundred more to them over another authorized vendor. TVA really dropped the ball on this play. So much for their "5 star" guarantee. :(

Best of luck in getting this resolved.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree. TVA needs to step up to the plate and take care of you. The damage was done by the repair shop sent out to you by Pio/TVA. Let Pio/TVA take up the issue with the shop AFTER you have a new unit. TVA will be reading this soon. I hope they take care of you. If not a lot of sales will be lost to other forum members. Come on TVA! DO THE RIGHT THING!

John

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
This is quite the "hard-luck" story. TVA's lack of support is a prime example of what led me to purchase my PDP from Circuit City along with their extended warranty.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
This is quite the "hard-luck" story. TVA's lack of support is a prime example of what led me to purchase my PDP from Circuit City along with their extended warranty.
This is OT, but a couple of things that turned me off to CC.

#1. I purchased a DVD player from them that stopped working after about a week. When I took it back to exchange it, the price had gone up like $5 and they made me pay the difference to exchange a DEFECTIVE product.

#2 I purchased a Z-line entertainment center from them for about $600-$700 and had them assemble and deliver it. When the guys showed up and brought it into my house the glass top has scratches all over it and 3 or 4 chips along the edges the size of my little finger - and they acted surprised that I would not accept it. They took it back with them and I called to schedule a replacement delivery for the next day. After taking off work to meet them no one showed up or even called me, so I went back to the store the next day and got a refund.

This is why I would have a hard time purchasing anything from those folks anytime soon.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Kind of odd TVA has not said a WORD on this. My friend Ed was going to pick up a 50 and 42 and changed his mind when this popped up. Sad.

John

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do agree with you John. I originally posted this in the Pio Thread but decided to create my own thread after not getting a response and following another user's request.

The one thing that pushed me to TVA was that their CS reps are active members of this forum and they glady help with any questions and issues.

I don't know that by going to CC, it would have changed much except that I would have a B&M place to go talk to someone in person. But I doubt that CC would be do the "right thing" especially given my experience with them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sure they would have. CC will take anything back in 30 days. You had the buzz problem within the 30 days. I really hope TVA helps you on this. I know of one sale they have lost for good over this. Let us know how it works out for you.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is the 2nd time I have read about TVA lack of customer service that was promised so blatantly on their site. A 30 day guarantee is a 30 DAY GUARANTEE!! I will not give my business to these guys as they are not on my list anymore. Get a lawyer and see your options.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Any new news Haz? I really can't belive TVA would let a forum member down like this.

John

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I really think Pioneer is more at fault than TVA, but TVA is more visible and accessible so they are taking the heat.

TVA arranged service with Pioneer's designated repair agency, who evidently screwed things up. It's asking a lot to expect TVA to eat a $5000 TV if Pioneer won't reimburse them.

Pioneer has recently joined Fujitsu in trying to fix prices and stifle competition among their dealers, supposedly to help "improve" service and customer satisfaction. If this is an example of such improvement, then TVA ought to stop selling Pioneers instead of bragging about how proud they are to be an "authorized" Pioneer dealer.

If Pioneer's designated service provider agreed that the buzz was a defect, to the point where they took the set to their shop for further tests, then IMO Pioneer should have promptly furnished a replacement, or replacements, until the problem was solved. The argument that something must be wrong with your residential power supply sounds like a sappy cop-out, unless they can bring diagnostic equipment to the house and show you exactly what's wrong.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Most of these Pioneer authourized repair facilities are in fact independent shops contracted to supply service to Pioneer. Trying to get them to admit fault and replace a $5K panel, even though they obviously caused the visible damage will be very difficult, and probably a legal nightmare.

What should happen is: Pioneer step up for their customer; replace the panel with a new unit, and then have the Independent contractor re-imburse Pioneer; otherwise pull their service contract. This is what a responsible, consumer oriented multi-million dollar corporation should do. After all, the 'buzz' repair should never have entailed removing the panel from the customer's home.

However, the best bet imo, especially since they do so much business here and with Pioneer, is for TVA to replace the panel, EVEN THOUGH it is no fault of theirs, and then have Pioneer replace the damaged fascia to the TV. It could then be sold as a 'second' at a markedly reduced cost assuming Pioneer would give their big customer, (TVA), a substantial break on the replacement unit.

I hope this all works out. Good luck.

Bish

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was all set to purchase with TVA exclusively because I bought into their "5 Star Guarantee" One of the Guarantees is that if a "5 Star" panel is out of stock they will ship for free. Since the panel I wanted to order wasn't going to be available for at least a week, it qualified.

Quote:
Product Availability

Since product receiving our 5 star rating are partially selected for their availability, we decided to back it up. If your desired product is out of stock for more than 3 business days, we’ll give you free ground shipping!
When the "5 Star" panel I wanted wasn't in stock I waited for my TVA rep to mention that I would be receiving free shipping. When it became obvious that the free shipping wasn't going to be mentioned I brought it to the attention of my sales rep. At first she played dumb and acted like she wasn't sure if the plasma I was ordering "qualified". Then she tried to weasel out of it by saying the guarantee didn't apply to "pre-orders". Whatever. The bottom line is that I was ready to purchase from TVA at that moment and what I wanted wasn't in stock. End of story. Last she told me she had to check with her manager to see if the panel I wanted would qualify and would call me back. She later called back and said that they would give me free shipping but that the panel I was trying to order was being pulled from their "5 Star" program.

Get this.......not because they were out of stock and would have to honor their free shipping guarantee for anyone ordering the panel I was interested in but because they no longer felt the panel I was ordering was worthy of their "5 Star Guarantee". Riiiiiiiiiiight!! I ask them to honor their guarantee and 10 minutes later the panel I ordered which has been very well reviewed and respected is suddenly no longer worthy of their "5 Star Guarantee"

After all of that my faith and trust in TVA and their "5 Star Guarantee" was blown. If they wouldn't even honor the free shipping portion of the guarantee I felt there was no way I would be able to rely on them to support me after the sale.

I ended up purchasing from Visual Apex for several hundred dollars less. I haven’t received it yet but after I do I’m going to post a complete review of my entire plasma research, search and purchase experience. Good, bad and Ugly.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just ordered a BDI Avion from TVA, scheduled to be delivered on Monday. After hearing the first problem with them and their responses I decided to go with them anyway. I hope this purchase goes smoothly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Are you happy you went online and saved yourself a few dollars other then going to a B&M? Instead of having an actual person to deal with face to face, vs. someone thousands of miles away, behind a computer desk and a phone?

There's a very good lesson to be learned here.

Edit: I'm obviously biased, and I apologize if my post sounds offensive. If you didn't have an alternative, I understand. I really don't know what I'd do in your case, and I'm sorry it happened. :(

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.