AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i updated last night at about midnight and my PS3 automatically recognized my Tvercity that is running on my comp...all the folders are there and it opperates much faster than my DSM-520 media lounge...(SKREEEECH) but it says that there are no files in the folders for audio and all my videos, downloaded or ripped, are unsupported formats.

has anyone used the PS3 as a media server with this new update, if so what software are you using and what file types are you able to stream?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon /forum/post/0

It doesn't work yet. You'll have to wait for an update.

a tvercity update or PS3?

·
Registered
658 Posts
yes,

Just use window media player 11 and hit "share". Then enable it to share video, audio, pictures and your set.

I'm not sure what video types are supported yet, most of mine were not supported as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks ShapS!

i will have to try that tonight when i get home.

aldamon, you are using the same D-Link right? how soon will we be able to pich this thing for one media server that works

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just installed WMP 11, and it is working! Listening to music right now, and controlling the menus with my Harmony 880
(see the thread on how to add an IR control to your PS3).

I haven't found videos or photos yet. Back to work.

Have I mentioned how much I love my PS3?

Found the photos and the videos. I had to look in the "Photo" and "Video" section of the XMB (don't laugh - you will understand the confusion when you do this - each one lists folders for each but you can't access photos from Music, for example).

Photos work fine. Xvids do not. MPEGs taken with an HP camera do work, but no sound. I'll post if I figure out the right combo.

Jason.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool /forum/post/0

Just installed WMP 11, and it is working! Listening to music right now, and controlling the menus with my Harmony 880
(see the thread on how to add an IR control to your PS3).

I haven't found videos or photos yet. Back to work.

Have I mentioned how much I love my PS3?

Found the photos and the videos. I had to look in the "Photo" and "Video" section of the XMB (don't laugh - you will understand the confusion when you do this - each one lists folders for each but you can't access photos from Music, for example).

Photos work fine. Xvids do not. MPEGs taken with an HP camera do work, but no sound. I'll post if I figure out the right combo.

Jason.

I understand the confusion! They need to remove "video & picture" when your in the Music section. Not sure how they can do a work around for this though..

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS /forum/post/0

I understand the confusion! They need to remove "video & picture" when your in the Music section. Not sure how they can do a work around for this though..

Yes, I agree because I got confuse also once I got everything to work.

·
Registered
636 Posts
my music could not be transferred, I received an error, I see all my photos but dont see any music files

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm going to play around with this some more when I get home, but I was thinking that you may need to tell TVersity that it is connecting to something OVER THAN a PS3. I believe the current PS3 implementation expects to connect to the PS3 through the WEB browser and not UPNP. I really need something that will transcode my WMA Lossless files to WAV for playback.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom /forum/post/0

Some report that they have a good luck using transcoding with Nero MediaHome server (Nero Home v.7.9.6.0). See here:
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74499&page=2

It works but Nero Scout has to index everything you share and the indexing is ridiculously slow compared to TVersity. No thanks. Also, since my file server folds 24/7, I'm not sure when Nero Scout is going to index. It only does it when the CPU is idle.
I might give it another try over the long weekend, but I'm not impressed so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmanley /forum/post/0

aldamon, you are using the same D-Link right? how soon will we be able to pich this thing for one media server that works

Probably never. I told my wife what the PS3 could do now and her response was "It took me months to figure out the Media Lounge. Leave it alone."
I'd rather fold with the PS3 anyway.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo /forum/post/0

Orb works, although it's slooow. I was using it through the web browser previously, but it also works as a DLNA server.

SimpleCenter works better IMO.

Cool, thanks. I'll give that one a shot.

EDIT: Wait, it doesn't explicitly say that it works for the PS3. But you've gotten it to work?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/0

Cool, thanks. I'll give that one a shot.

EDIT: Wait, it doesn't explicitly say that it works for the PS3. But you've gotten it to work?

Yes, it works for me. I haven't purchased the Premium version that transcodes, but the Basic version works fine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon /forum/post/0

Probably never. I told my wife what the PS3 could do now and her response was "It took me months to figure out the Media Lounge. Leave it alone."
I'd rather fold with the PS3 anyway.

i should probably count my blessings that my girlfriend wants nothing to do with my PS3...explaining all of it would make her ears bleed

although the prospect of greys anatomy on an upscaled dvd would prob. result in more "sexy time"... also a

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket /forum/post/0

MPEG2 seems to be the only format that plays consistantly on the PS3. So, either I've got to track down a good converter, or get something that transcodes on the fly like Nero.

i have ripped DVD's that are in MPEG2 and it always freezes my PS3...i am still using Tvercity

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.