AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a DMR-EH55 for close to 3 years now, the first week was very difficult getting the guide to work, but I have fallen in love with it and how easy it has made recording.

There are a lot of rumors on the net, and many users who have already lost the guide in some market places, this Topic is for users to communicate what is going on in there area.

Some say that after the switch to didgital that the signal will continue, others say it will not, so please post what is happening in your area here.

I have Direct TV and have had the guide continually since I put my EH55 into service in July 3rd 2006, with a RCA receiver getting my Direct TV. June 2008 my DVD burner died, ( I had bought the 3 year warrenty wheu) sent it off got it back 4 weeks later went thru set up and got the guide over night, within 3 days had 8 days of guide.

Nov 28th my DVD Burner went out again (guide still working, I mention this because I now see that some lost there guides on 15th-20 of Nov) so I sent it in for repairs, panasonic called and offered me a new dvd burner instead of repairing my unit, but it had no hard drive, I said no way I want my unit repaired, begrudingly they agreed.

On January 2cond I got my EH55 back, and cant get the program guide back, one thing has changed, in Dec on the 8th, I upgraded my receiver from an RCA 5 years old model to a new Direct TV model D11 receiver, I read somewhere on the board here that others were using this receiver with their EH55 with success.

I would like to hear from any who are using the same receiver and recorder Direct TV Receiver Model D11 and Panny EH55.

Are you still getting your EPG?

What market area are you in? I am in panhandel of Ne Denver locals.

I did read in 2 other posts about some who are using the zip code of the CBS/PBS station which broadcasts the EPG stream for there area, not the zip where they live, and this has restored the guide for some.

I have tried this today, my CBS is in Denver zip 80202 and 80203, so am trying 80202 first, I did this today, and for the first time in a week my unit is changing channels.

I will post back as to what the results are.

I have called the CBS in Denver got to talk with a programming Engineer, and he said that they were still sending the EPG data stream after midnight each night, he also said that I should check with direct TV to make sure that they were repeating the stream and not cutting it out.

So I called Direct TV I was transferred to tech support, and let them know that I was getting the Denver CBS and were they passing on the EPG data stream, he said he had top check, I was on hold for about 5 minuits, but when he came back he said yes, that the data stream was being passed on, he also indicated that it would continue, that the digdital transition would not affect it.

I guess only time will tell.

If we do lose the EPG can we use a didgital to analog converter box (the kind that the government coupons are for) to convert the signal back to analog then pipe this analog signal back thru our DVD recorders to get the signal for EPG back?

Thanks For everyones feedback and possible soultions. BCallen

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Something that could affect TVGOS, esp. with a feed from a cable or sat box where they upload updated FW regularly, is the old DST Bug... affects older units built before the new Rules took effect.

Here's Panasonic's recommendation for the EH55 and 75... just something to try as a last resort?:

"Gemstar TV Guide equipped models will have the DST time change provided by Gemstar automatically. If unit is used in conjunction with a cable box, IR Blaster must be installed and operating properly.

* If the unit does not receive TV Guide data, set DST to "Off" in "Manual Clock Setting", and press ENTER."

·
Registered
13,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCallen /forum/post/15503017

There are a lot of rumors on the net, and many users who have already lost the guide in some market places, this Topic is for users to communicate what is going on in there area.

There already is an established Thread for this topic. Click here .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Thanks, I just turned the unit on and turned DST off, I will let all know if I get my guide tommorrow! BCallen

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This evening I have been really digging into what may happen with EPG when we are all digital, Gemstar has come up with an all digital epg, and it sounds like it should be decodable by the coupon digital to analog converters, here is a quote from a page I found, after the quote I will also post the url for it as a large article there about this subject!

"The Missing Link: Digital TVGOS to Analog TVGOS Conversion:

GemStar's Digital TVGOS uses a freely-available standard know as Digital Video Standard 706 (aka "VBI-in-MPEG" or "DVI-706") to carry TVGOS data once the transition of digital broadcasting is complete. "Once the transition of digital broadcasting has been completed, Gemstar-TV Guide intends to send TV Guide On Screen EPG data using DVS-706 in over-the-air digital signals ("Digital VBI Data"), which can be converted to analog VBI data by digital-to-analog converter boxes for use by existing analog television receivers with a TV Guide On Screen EPG." (Gemstar-TV Guide ltr to NTIA dtd, 25 Sep 2006 - see attached).

This is great news!...but where can I find one of these boxes? I would be very disappointed to see the Federal Government disenfranchise millions of TVGOS users by not encouraging CE manufacturers to support digital-to-analog TVGOS EPG. In fact, the NTIA specifially permits CECBs which support conversion of the GemStar TVGOS (para. 73-76 of DTV Coupon Final Ruling).

According the the spiffSPACE.com DHGHDD250/500 Resource Guide

"All in all - the future of these DVRs is still a bit uncertain, but there may be hope that these DVRs won't become doorstops after the analog shutoff. It is difficult to say how well the digital guide downloads will work until the shutoff takes place, and the analog hosts stop broadcasting. Even manual recording (without the benefit of the on-screen guide) will be difficult after the analog shutoff, since the DVR's clock CANNOT be set manually. It even relies on TV signals for proper setting of the time and date!"

source : http://www.satelliteguys.us/1402619-post110.html

I also found a description for features of the converter boxes the 3rd one listed under key features is EPG here is the one that said this:
http://www.jtecdirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1801

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still no guide, is there anyone else that gets the Denver locals with direct tv and a direct tv receiver, who is still getting the EPG/TVGOS guide?

As if other Denver people are getting the guide I know I have a problem here at my end, but if other folks who get the Denver locals are not getting the guide either it may mean that the analog signal has been cut off already.

I am going to call Denver CBS and see if I can get thru to an engineer again, am also calling a denver PBS, and going to ask if they are going to contiue to piggy back an analog EPG signal along with there digital signal, so we wont be left with useless EPG equipment. Later BCallen

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey JJeff, Thanks I will!

I just got off the phone to CBS, Couldnt get thru to an Engineer try later.

I did get a knowledgable person at PBS, they are still sending a signal on there Denver stations, while I could not get thru to an engineer, the lady did take my name and # as well as my email, after she explained how busy the techs were she said she would pass my question and contact info along.

Then I called Panasonic TV Guide support line, and would you belive it I got a tech who knows her stuff, there were no hesitations when I ask questions, all her replys were spot on. She was alraedy aware that between 25 and 30 million people whould be calling in when there vcrs, dvd recorders, DVR's, TV's were no longer get EPG because of the analog shut down.

It sounds like macrovision/gemstar have been interupting the EPG stream in different markets, working on it, the last few months.

The goal is to have a digital EPG data stream that analog devices will be able to use!

They hope to have it completly operational well before Febuary 17th, she thought in another week or so.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCallen /forum/post/15511689

after she explained how busy the techs were

They hope to have it completly operational well before Febuary 17th.

From what I've been reading they are probably all busy talking about the proposed delay for the analog shutoff. It sounds like they'll have more than Feb 17th to figure it all out, at least if the rumors are true.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/15512010

From what I've been reading they are probably all busy talking about the proposed delay for the analog shutoff. It sounds like they'll have more than Feb 17th to figure it all out, at least if the rumors are true.

On the side of reality, when ever new tech come along, it usualy takes 6 to 12 months to get all the bugs worked out.

Since they been working on the EPG since Oct 08 it probably wont be stable til Oct 09, so they just as well delay the transition another 6 to 8 months anyway.

I am just relieved to know they are trying to preserve all the millions of analog devices out there, especilly mine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts