AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newbie question regarding DVD ripping. I'm planning to rip my DVDs for playback on a Tvix system (yet to be purchased), and I'm trying to figure out the best strategy. I'll probably rip my commercial movie DVDs as ISO image files, but I also have a lot of homemade DVDs that contain miscellaneous TV recordings. I'd like to play these as individual files (VOBs?), independent of the original disk.

I understand what ISOs are, but I'm a little confused when it comes to VOB/IFO files. When I transfer the VOBs to my HDD, will I need to transfer the IFO files as well? Will I lose any functionality without the IFO files, or does the ripping software take care of all of that? Would I be better off saving the VOBs in some other format altogether?

Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado2 /forum/post/12925489

I have a newbie question regarding DVD ripping. I'm planning to rip my DVDs for playback on a Tvix system (yet to be purchased), and I'm trying to figure out the best strategy. I'll probably rip my commercial movie DVDs as ISO image files, but I also have a lot of homemade DVDs that contain miscellaneous TV recordings. I'd like to play these as individual files (VOBs?), independent of the original disk.

I understand what ISOs are, but I'm a little confused when it comes to VOB/IFO files. When I transfer the VOBs to my HDD, will I need to transfer the IFO files as well? Will I lose any functionality without the IFO files, or does the ripping software take care of all of that? Would I be better off saving the VOBs in some other format altogether?

Thanks!

You are really talking about three options:

1-ISO

2-VOB/IFO

3-VOB

1 and 2 are for all intents and purposes the same thing. With an ISO, all of files on the DVD are combined into a single file (ISO). With VOB/IFO, all of the files on the DVD are not combined into a single file. Both 1 and 2 function as if you were watching the DVD in a regular DVD player.

If you choose 3 (VOB only), you loose all DVD functionality like using menus and the ability to change audio and subtitles. If you have a 4100, you also loose the ability to rewind what you are watching (the 4000 doesn't have this problem). The bug with the 4100 that prevents the user from rewinding a VOB has existed since the beginning and I don't think Dvico will ever fix it. So if you use that function a lot, it's something to consider.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny /forum/post/12936668

The bug with the 4100 that prevents the user from rewinding a VOB has existed since the beginning and I don't think Dvico will ever fix it. So if you use that function a lot, it's something to consider.

Yikes, that's not good news. I'm guessing it won't be fixed in the 6500 then? Are there any other media players capable of "correctly" playing VOBs as standalones?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado2 /forum/post/12937945

Yikes, that's not good news. I'm guessing it won't be fixed in the 6500 then? Are there any other media players capable of "correctly" playing VOBs as standalones?

Thanks for your help!

Reportedly this issues still exists with the newer 6500. It should be noted that this bug affects ALL raw mpeg2 files (vob, ts, mpeg2, etc). If you try to use the rewind key on the 4100, you will get an error message saying "Unsupported." However, you can push the up arrow which will skip backwards in 15 second increments. This is not really a rewind in the traditional sense but it is the only workaround for this issue until Dvico decides to fix it.

The Tvix 4000 doesn't have this problem and is able to rewind mpeg2 files without any problems.

If you want to be able to rewind mpeg2 files, get the Tvix 4000. The other major advantage of the 4000 over the 4100 is that its firmware is very stable. The 4100 firmware, on the other hand, is still very buggy. I still wondering how Dvico can justify the $400 price tag for the 4100 when it can't even rewind mpeg2 files.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info - thanks again! I'm still learning about different video formats and compatability. I'll have to take another look at the 4000.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Johny,

Why don't you give complete information? DViCo already stated as outlined "to you" in a conversation with TPetersen:

Quote:
Oh, before you "discover" this nefariously dark and dastardly "secret", I will "divulge" that the M-6500A upon release will not support REW of transport streams. A later firmware update will add that feature (presumably to both M-6500 and M-4100).

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny /forum/post/12936668

The bug with the 4100 that prevents the user from rewinding a VOB has existed since the beginning and I don't think Dvico will ever fix it. So if you use that function a lot, it's something to consider.

That's one of several reasons why my TViX is collecting dust, and I'm using the NETGEAR EVA8000 box.

wrt to ISO vs IFO NETGEAR says that ISOs are better because the single file can be kept open minimizing server connections and file/open close ops. I've found that ISOs tend to take up a bit more disk space for the ISO structure, but otherwise I see no diff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3knokat /forum/post/12948722

That's one of several reasons why my TViX is collecting dust, and I'm using the NETGEAR EVA8000 box.

wrt to ISO vs IFO NETGEAR says that ISOs are better because the single file can be kept open minimizing server connections and file/open close ops. I've found that ISOs tend to take up a bit more disk space for the ISO structure, but otherwise I see no diff.

Hmm... this thread wasn't too complimentary on the EVA 8000. I was thinking Tvix was the favorite among the anti-XBMC crowd.

I'm leaning toward ISOs at this point. I know the files are larger, although I'm not sure how much. I just downloaded DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter, so I'll be experimenting with file sizes in the next few days.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well seems to me that guy got screwed by CompUSA. I haven't had any problems with my EVA8000 and I own a TViX and an XBOX. I now own a DMA2100 too and I'm waiting for a PCH. I also have an ATV and a OLPC and an iPhone -- he who dies with the most toys wins

So I think the TViX UI is inferior, and while there's lots of info on how to make it bearable in the forum here, I found it too hard to deal with. It also has lots of playback issues like the aforementioned ISO probs. The fixes are few and far between.

I gave up on XMBC long ago as being waaay too much trouble, and no HD at all.

If I can ever get my DMA2100 working I can let you know how that does, but since all my stuff is on a NAS and my Vista system is wireless I don't have high expectations on that front.

So EVA8000 is it as far as I'm concerned, at least until PCH arrives (if). I've been through several software updates from netgear and the box is really getting quite good at this point, and they seem to be improving it further.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts