AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a M-4000 plugged into a manageable switch? Mine is plugged into a Cisco 3550 and I can't get it working at 100/Full. I've tried both 2.05 and 1.95

The only reason I even started looking was I can't pull any files off the internal hard drive without it the TViX locking up. I can put files on the device all day long without much trouble (Well, I do see collisions on the Ethernet segment. Thank You 10/Half).

For comparison purposes, I get about 900KB/s when putting files on the server.

I have a cheap CompUSA switch laying around here somewhere, I'm going to look for it and report back.

Otherwise, I love the device and it's done everything else I've tried without any hiccups. The M-4000 replaced an old MG-35.

· Registered
6 Posts
You might be on to something... I cannot get my M-4000 to play anthing over the network that has any high bit rates. I can do some low bit rate stuff such as black and white movies for several minutes before it locks up, but only 1-5 seconds on vob, iso and HD files. I have even tried putting my nfs server and the M-4000 on a gig switch and still have the problems.

At this point I plan on sending it back as it is worthless without the network function working. Kind of hard to fit a couple of terabytes worth of content inside!

· Registered
213 Posts
Interesting, there is some networking discussion going on in the main M-4000 thread. One user who already has his unit is saying he can't play DVD isos off the network without stuttering. I imagine it's the same problem.

There may be something wrong with the onboard network controller on the M-4000 if it's only connecting at 10/half. Let's hope this is something that can be fixed in firmware.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashX /forum/post/0

Interesting, there is some networking discussion going on in the main M-4000 thread. One user who already has his unit is saying he can't play DVD isos off the network without stuttering. I imagine it's the same problem.

There may be something wrong with the onboard network controller on the M-4000 if it's only connecting at 10/half. Let's hope this is something that can be fixed in firmware.

ya, that's what prompted me to dig a little deeper. This can certainly be fixed in firmware, we just have to make sure the TViX folks get the word. I already posted something on their main site.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to post that mine, which is running 1.9.8A, does connect at 100Mbps Full Duplex.

I've also watch 3 movies from my XP workstation via Samba and did not encounter any shuttering. These movies where in ISO form and not fragmented on the filesystem (NTFS). I just wanted to test network streaming before I invested in a dedicated NAS box. I need to watch more movies before I'm convienced network streaming is good thou.

EDIT:

I'm using a D-Link DI-624 v2.70 for my router.

· Registered
45 Posts
All 10/100 or 10/100/1000 interfaces use auto-negotiating to figure out what speed connection is on the other end. I know historically it was fairly common place that certain vendor's interface would not play nice with other vendor's.. .i.e. not negotiate 10 vs 100 or full vs half properly. I assumed that had improved since almost every interface for several years has supported multiple speeds. But, that is very likely the issue here.

It may be that they have to add an option into the firmware to set a specific speed and duplex instead of relying on auto-negotiating. I'm not sure how major of a firmware change that would be, but surely not a major "show stopper". This will just mean that end users will need to be knowledgeable of the networking equipment they're using.

· Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedt /forum/post/0

Hi,

Just wanted to post that mine, which is running 1.9.8A, does connect at 100Mbps Full Duplex.

I'm using a D-Link DI-624 v2.70 for my router.

Curious, since I have tried a half dozen switches: managed/unmanaged, gigabit/10/100, including a Dlink DIR655 wireless router. None of these have established a 100Mb connection.

Consider yourself very lucky. . .

Hopefully this problem that at least a few of us are experiencing can be corrected with a firmware upgrade. If not, I would consider it a defective product and return it. I just dont know how long I can wait for a solution via firmware upgrade before my opportunity for a refund expires.

Any comments from the Digital Connection folks?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just posted the below in another thread but it really belongs here for the archives

engswic#sho int fa0/9

FastEthernet0/9 is up, line protocol is up (connected)

Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 000d.654f.2f09 (bia 000d.654f.2f09)

Description: TViX

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Half-duplex, 10Mb/s, media type is 10/100BaseTX

input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input never, output 00:00:01, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d03h

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

1086460 packets input, 76336792 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 10 broadcasts (0 multicast)

0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

2236650 packets output, 2367786185 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 1264732 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 397 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

engswic#

· Registered
4,321 Posts

Quote:
Any comments from the Digital Connection folks?

Yes, call tech support and go through the troubleshooting process.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark /forum/post/0

Yes, call tech support and go through the troubleshooting process.

I haven't called them yet but they did tell me to return it on the www.tvix.co.kr "my questions" thing. I wrote back and said I didn't it was defective since so many others reported the same thing. If I don't hear back from them tomorrow I'll call the tech support number and see what they say.

· Registered
15 Posts
I heard back from tech support in Korea. They maintain that the unit is defective and advised me to RMA it.

OK, fine- but what are my chances of getting another 'bad' one?? It seems like there is a bunch of people with this problem, and they dont indicate that a firmware update will fix it. Maybe a PCB revision is necessary?

I think my best bet is to return it and wait a few months for a stable PCB/firmware product.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They put 1.9.8a on the ftp server for me and it didn't change the situation. Maybe there is more to this but without any command line access to the device it will be impossible for me to tell.

I've reported back my results and if they say return it then I will as well.

· Registered
142 Posts
I'm also suffering from this. I'm really hoping a firmware update is all I'll need as digital connection is back ordered till late February and the unit just arrived today after a long wait.

For now I guess it's USB + HD.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMG /forum/post/0

I'm also suffering from this. I'm really hoping a firmware update is all I'll need as digital connection is back ordered till late February and the unit just arrived today after a long wait.

For now I guess it's USB + HD.

Unfortunately, DViCO is saying RMA it. It's unfortunate, other than the 10/Half problem I was very happy with the TViX (my old device was a Mediagate).

· Registered
4,321 Posts
For those who have asked about keepping the units with the network problems, yes, you can until the next shipment arrives, at which time we can arrange for the RMA exchange. We will replace all defective units first from the enxt shipment, but I am really hoping that we maybe given a circuit board fix of some type which we can perform at our office.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.