AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better? I've been reading great reviews for both but I'm having a hard time choosing. Which one do you guys recommend. Is there another brand that works even better then these two? All I will be using it for is to stream divx, xvid, and DVD(ISO) video over the network from a 3TB NAS. I am trying to get out of building a full blown HTPC so hopefully one of these will do the job. Appreciate any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i think that the tvix M-4100SH is right now the better way because it has newer hardware and more power ofer lan the tvix will also be better because he has an stronger cpu, ram, .....

If you can wait a little bit then i would look also to Tomacro limHD200i (more power then 4100), then the upcoming devices from Novatron NTD37HD (same Hardware as 4100).

best wishes cHarOn

·
Registered
86 Posts
I looked at Newegg's customer reviews of the Mvix and there were some interesting Cons that you might want to look at. Apparently playback across a LAN can be choppy sometimes. I am wondering if that is a problem with the Tvix. I am in the market for one of these units right now and most likely would be doing most viewing across the network.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I will be doing ALL my viewing across the network so I certainly need something that can handle that. I wouldn't even bother installing an internal hard drive into the Mvix because I have no need for it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the Tvix 4100 and I can only say that it is one of the best tech devices I have ever purchased. I can stream via wired LAN using the free Tvix Netshare program most hi def material (HDV camcorder footage as well as MPEG2 Blu Ray rips). If the 4100 could stream the remaining codecs for blu ray and HD DVD rips there would be nothing else I could ask for. And I have a feeling that their next release will be able to stream these codecs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dobeman - how is the UI for the 4100? From what I have read it basically just browses the directories. Nothing fancy or such. But works.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dobeman or anybody else, can you guys give a few words about your experience with the Tvix? Particularly would like to get some info on ISO handling. I have my entire collection backed up to ISO and right now I am just doing TV OUT from my computer but would like to be able to access them from in front of my couch. Is it pretty easy to navigate the folder and select the movie you want?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a TVIX 5000 and a 4100. They are pretty solid devices. The browsing is pretty much a directory tree, but if you set it up in a logical manner, it's nice. The software allows you to add icons with the filenames, so you could have a bunch of pictures of DVD covers if you wanted to. It's pretty slick, but takes some time, and I'm pretty lazy - filenames work fine for me.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeman /forum/post/0

I have the Tvix 4100 and I can only say that it is one of the best tech devices I have ever purchased. I can stream via wired LAN using the free Tvix Netshare program most hi def material (HDV camcorder footage as well as MPEG2 Blu Ray rips). If the 4100 could stream the remaining codecs for blu ray and HD DVD rips there would be nothing else I could ask for. And I have a feeling that their next release will be able to stream these codecs.

You think so? The way it is with tech stuff, more likely that will be another model and and another few hundred bucks!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeman /forum/post/0

If the 4100 could stream the remaining codecs for blu ray and HD DVD rips there would be nothing else I could ask for. And I have a feeling that their next release will be able to stream these codecs.

That's a nice dream and I'd like to see that too, but it won't happen. 4100 doesn't have the horsepower required to stream VC-1/AVC over LAN and decode the stream simultaneously. Over CIFS/SMB it's quite simply impossible, and judging by how it chokes over NFS... better not get your hopes up.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede /forum/post/0

You think so? The way it is with tech stuff, more likely that will be another model and and another few hundred bucks!

That is exactly correct. Dvico will probably announce that product in a few months and it will be on sale in spring 2008. It will have a 8634 chip which, to be honest, this generation of Tvix should have gone for already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts