AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many references on the web to Philip Swann's/TVPredictions write-up of a DirecTV HDTV package. He will have a lot of "egg on his face" if he is wrong. DirecTV (I called them 10 minutes ago) says "This is also news to them! Here is another industry website quoting Swann...

April 28, 2003

DirecTV To Offer Pay-HDTV Channels Says Industry Website
Audio Revolution, by Jerry Del Colliano

TVpredictions.com is reporting that DirecTV is planning to launch a $10 per month (est.) HDTV option for its subscribers that will include the hard to find ESPN HD channel, Discovery HD Theater channel and an HDNet Movie channel.

Lengthy, full story at: http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/0403/28.directv.shtml

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would probably subscribe to that service, but I would hate seeing that extra $10 bucks added to my already too high Directv bill. D* has us between a rock & hard place - we already purchased the equipment, so it is obvious that they can charge a few bucks for HDTV. What would our other options be? Switch to Dish? Then its a matter of shelling out more money to get setup for HDTV on Dish... About the package - I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Said it once I'll say it again,

"I sure hope D* makes some allowance for subs such as myself who already are shelling out $100+ a month for premier programming. It would really s*ck if they try to nail me with another $10 month. I just may have to re-evaluate and severely downgrade my programming which will be a loss to D*. I'm sure there are quite a few in this boat. The depth of my pockets as some limits!"

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'd bet it would be another tier of programming, so for us $100/monthers it would only be another what, $6/month? (premium tiers graduated $10/$9/$8/$7 etc) That'd be my guess/hope.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am wandering:

If I place a new order for a complete 6000 kit with Bell. Am I going to received all the equipment necessary to received the two satellites (two LNB, splitter, ...)?

and what is the dish skew for montreal?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lbouchard
I am wandering:

If I place a new order for a complete 6000 kit with Bell. Am I going to received all the equipment necessary to received the two satellites (two LNB, splitter, ...)?

and what is the dish skew for montreal?
You sure know how to change the subject. :D

But if someone is paying $100 a month for programming, I'm sure that the MSO's feel that those people will just keep on paying. I bet that they have no doubts about raising rates (or charging new ones) for HDTV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmm!

Quote:
It is unlikely that ESPN HD will launch without a deal with DirecTV and it is unlikely that DirecTV will allow Dish Network to be the only satellite source for Discovery HD Theater.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.