AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup is not nearly as nice as some other system, but it's good for me (for now).

I have a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD (LC-C5277UN) from Costco, and I finally finished remodeling my fireplace mantle so it can fit. If you saw the mantle before and after, you'd love the new mantle.

I put some RGB LED light strips (from Lite-Eyes) along the back of the LCD. The colors can fade and stay solid.

I also ran the HDMI cables, component, composite, audio cables, and power to the back of the wall. Kind of a fun project which took 4 days with help from friends.

I have an Acer mini PC with Vista ran to the LCD. Works great!

I attached a pic. Let me know what you think!

Now I need to work on an audio setup... (ideas?)

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteblazer01 /forum/post/16942655

. . . I put some RGB LED light strips (from Lite-Eyes) along the back of the LCD. The colors can fade and stay solid. . . . Let me know what you think!

Very clean. That I like. BUT. . .

I have yet to see the reason why people put lighting behind a TV. I always find lighting behind a TV to be very distracting and detracting. See my post " I Don't Understand Why "

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Lighting, properly installed, can aide in preventing eye fatigue. Plus some people just like the way it looks. No harm in that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for lighting, preference. Some people like it, some don't. There's no science behind it. Some prefer blondes to brunette... some prefer same sex. Some people prefer upstairs apartments to downstairs, SUV's to cars, etc... Either way, it's preference.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The colored LEDs people use are personal tastes.

Now, you could get a 6500K Bulb that gives the perception of enhanced contrast, while reducing eye strain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's why I got the RGB kit. I can choose any color. Plus you can't see the LED's, as they're essentially flush with the back of the LCD.

But wheres a good start for an audio system? Nothing too crazy. Maybe a $200-$300 system - speakers, sub, receiver... preferably wall mountable speakers, and also some tall floor mounted readr speakers, and also some wireless wall-mountable speakers (for the next room). And bluetooth?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Good job man, looks good. It's cool you got your pc connected aswell, it opens a whole new world of entertainment, I got one aswell hooked up to my Sharp Aquos.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi,

Its really look cool...

g8 job dude...

The lighting around the TV looks nice....

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteblazer01 /forum/post/16944576

As for lighting, preference. There's no science behind it.

Actually there may be some science behind it. When I used a 6500k idealume bias light behind my tv the blacks appeared deeper to our eyes. So it must be doing something in regards to how our eyes/brain perceives the picture.

I would imagine using different colored lights would also have different effects. Looks very cool for demos but if you want to see a movie how it was intended I wouldn't watch an entire flick like that.

BTW the pic looks nice. Great install!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Whiteblazer can you up the budget a little? Unless you go HTIB you'd be pushing it.

I saw this Klipsch speaker system is $359 @ onecall.com with coupon code SCHOOL. Decent reviews. Then buy a lower cost reciever? Maybe Onkyo 605 or 606? Maybe some ID speaker companies have a lower $ package?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious /forum/post/16944001

Very clean. That I like. BUT. . .

I have yet to see the reason why people put lighting behind a TV. I always find lighting behind a TV to be very distracting and detracting. See my post " I Don't Understand Why "

If it is too bright it can certainly be a distraction.

The idea behind it is that it can reduce eye fatigue. When scenes change from bright to dark and back again, the eye adjusts to let more or less light in. This constant adjustment of the eye leads to strain and fatigue.

The ambient lighting behind TVs aims to normalize the amount of light coming at you, reducing the amount of adjusting your eyes have to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts