AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With "real" surround formats, I know some TVs don't play nice when passing the signal through. For example, an optical out that only passes a stereo signal through the toslink cable (my Samsung PN50A650 does this).

However, what about formats that utilize a stereo source to begin with? If I connected a game console's stereo RCA outs to the TV, then connected the TV's RCA stereo outs to a receiver, could that compromise the Pro Logic encoding in any way? This is assuming the game and receiver both support Pro Logic, of course.

I am assuming that with stereo going in, and stereo coming out, I'd have nothing to worry about. It may seem like a dumb question but I'm just wondering if there is anything else to the signal that could be "lost" with the TV as the middleman.

btw, the reason I'm doing this is so I have the option of using either the TV speakers or home theater setup for game sounds. The console in question is an old Dreamcast... very little to offer in the way of "real" surround sound, but I could use interpolated surround through the receiver as long as the stereo signal is still good.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I run my cable box HDMI to my TV and the TV optical to my AVR. PLII encoding is unaffected.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
With "real" surround formats, I know some TVs don't play nice when passing the signal through. For example, an optical out that only passes a stereo signal through the toslink cable (my Samsung PN50A650 does this).

However, what about formats that utilize a stereo source to begin with? If I connected a game console's stereo RCA outs to the TV, then connected the TV's RCA stereo outs to a receiver, could that compromise the Pro Logic encoding in any way? This is assuming the game and receiver both support Pro Logic, of course.

I am assuming that with stereo going in, and stereo coming out, I'd have nothing to worry about. It may seem like a dumb question but I'm just wondering if there is anything else to the signal that could be "lost" with the TV as the middleman.

btw, the reason I'm doing this is so I have the option of using either the TV speakers or home theater setup for game sounds. The console in question is an old Dreamcast... very little to offer in the way of "real" surround sound, but I could use interpolated surround through the receiver as long as the stereo signal is still good.
Stereo in, stereo out. Nothing happens in the middle. The way matrixed surround works, the only way to kill it would be to radically reduce stereo separation...not going to happen.

ProLogic isn't "interpolated", it's a well defined encode/decode process. The algorithms in an AVR that extract surround from 2-channel material that was never really encoded are just a variation on the normal surround decoding matrix.

Optical will pass multichannel audio formats, but only the compressed ones like Dolby Digital, and DTS. It will not deal with TrueHD, Master Audio, or multichannel LPCM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts