AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with something very basic. I'm looking for a new TV that does 5.1 passthrough from HDMI to the SPDIF out. Based on the manufacturers' websites I can't figure out which ones do that, as opposed to converting to 2.0 PCM.

Is it a brand-specific thing? Model specific? Is there a list?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If there is a brand, I don't know about it. Most people buy a receiver which can pass audio and video thru HDMI, and most do that now. They plug all their HDMIs into the receiver and run one HDMI out to the tv, controlling inputs thru the receiver.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Virtually every TV manufactured for sale in the USA in the last 2 years with onboard ATSC/QAM tuners, Dolby Digital decoding, and a SPDIF output will pass Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from any device connected via HDMI. I've confirmed this on models from Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba, and Vizio; Mitsubishi TVs use a coaxial digital output but also have this capability. In fact, I think it would be rather difficult for you to find a display larger than 32" from any major manufacturer that didn't have this capability.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 /forum/post/21536269

Virtually every TV manufactured for sale in the USA in the last 2 years with onboard ATSC/QAM tuners, Dolby Digital decoding, and a SPDIF output will pass Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from any device connected via HDMI. I've confirmed this on models from Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba, and Vizio; Mitsubishi TVs use a coaxial digital output but also have this capability. In fact, I think it would be rather difficult for you to find a display larger than 32" from any major manufacturer that didn't have this capability.

To my knowlege there are no brands of panels that will pass 5.1 thru the optical output on the panel with a device hooked to the panel via HDMI and that goes for all TV's, even the ones made in the last 2 years.

My new 70" and 80" Sharps wouldnt pass 5.1

May I ask how you "confirmed" that the brands you mentioned will pass 5.1 thru the optical ?

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Passing DD 5.1 from OTA, hit and miss...passing DD 5.1 through a device connected via HDMI..uhh, no.

Edit: I have read that some displays will pass it but every time the discussion comes up it usually turns into a " mine does, mine doesn't" and since the vast majority don't I never put much stock into it.

·
Registered
18,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 /forum/post/21536269

I don't think that's quite correct. TV's with built-in ATSC tuners (which is all of them) will pass discrete 5.1 audio thru the optical out because that is part of the ATSC spec (AC-3) if the source is the ATSC tuner (OTA in my case), not externally via HDMI.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re /forum/post/21533158

I need help with something very basic. I'm looking for a new TV that does 5.1 passthrough from HDMI to the SPDIF out. Based on the manufacturers' websites I can't figure out which ones do that, as opposed to converting to 2.0 PCM.

Is it a brand-specific thing? Model specific? Is there a list?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Sure it works! My LG 55LX9500 passes DD5.1. I feed the tv via hdmi from a cable box and output via optical to the home theater sound system, and it's DD5.1 ( providing the program material is DD5.1) . Do you mean other tv's don't have this ability?

·
Banned
740 Posts
My Vizio passes Dolby Digital this way, but not DTS, and multi-channel PCM on Blu-Ray discs is mixed down to 2-channel. (It's wrong of course to hook a Blu-Ray up this way anyways as you lose the lossless sound no matter what, but if you do, this is what it does.)

·
Registered
5,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/21536902

To my knowlege there are no brands of panels that will pass 5.1 thru the optical output on the panel with a device hooked to the panel via HDMI and that goes for all TV's, even the ones made in the last 2 years.

My new 70" and 80" Sharps wouldnt pass 5.1

May I ask how you "confirmed" that the brands you mentioned will pass 5.1 thru the optical ?

Cheers

Davyo

I've owned various displays (Mitsubishi WD-57732, Mitsubishi WD-60738, Vizio E550VL, Toshiba 40RF350U, Mitsubishi LT-46148, Sony KDL-42V4100, Samsung PN51D550, and Vizio E3D420VX) which had this capability. I've always connected my Motorola DVR to the TVs using an HDMI cable, with either an optical or a coaxial digital cable going from the TV to the AVR. With the DVR's audio output option set to "Pass through", I've always been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. I've had similar results with other set top boxes and disc players as well. I'm surprised to learn that so many here believe that DD 5.1 is restricted to the set's onboard ATSC tuner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. So it seems that there isn't a list yet on which TVs pass 5.1 from HDMI to SPDIF out. As to the question why I don't route through the receiver: I have a limited budget and already possess a Denon AVR-1804 that sounds just the way I like it with my speakers. I don't want to replace that.

So maybe someone can help me with a specific model: I'm eyeing the Westinghouse VR-6025Z. Can anyone confirm whether or not it passes 5.1 from at least one HDMI through to the SPDIF coax out?

Again, thank you so much for any information.

·
Registered
18,434 Posts
Try calling Westinghouse support to see if they can help you, or at least direct you to the user manual. If you can't get a hold of them, or they are less than helpful, that's a good indicator of the customer support should you choose the Westinghouse and need help down the road.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The manual doesn't specify it. I just got off the phone with support. They told me it had that functionality but were worried whether I realized that I would need a receiver to connect speakers. So I'm a little concerned whether they really realized what I was asking.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Any recent Sony will do it.

My 46EX400 in my bedroom passes DD 5.1 from any HDMI device over SPDIF. Used to use the TV with my Logitech Z-5500.

55EX720 does as well.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 /forum/post/21540515

I've owned various displays (Mitsubishi WD-57732, Mitsubishi WD-60738, Vizio E550VL, Toshiba 40RF350U, Mitsubishi LT-46148, Sony KDL-42V4100, Samsung PN51D550, and Vizio E3D420VX) which had this capability. I've always connected my Motorola DVR to the TVs using an HDMI cable, with either an optical or a coaxial digital cable going from the TV to the AVR. With the DVR's audio output option set to "Pass through", I've always been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. I've had similar results with other set top boxes and disc players as well. I'm surprised to learn that so many here believe that DD 5.1 is restricted to the set's onboard ATSC tuner.

Below is what I copied from the owners manual for my brand new 80" Sharp flat panel.

This is the way it is with all TV's, none of them will pass 5.1 with and external HDMI source connected.

Cheers

Davyo

Depending on the connected equipment, audio will not output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal in HDMI

connection. In this case, set the audio formats of the connected equipment to PCM, 32/44.1/48 kHz.

Optical digital audio will be output in 2-ch stereo when it is from the external equipment connected to the TV using an HDMI cable.

·
Registered
15,335 Posts
Is it possible those claiming to get DD5.1 pass-thru are actually getting Dolby Pro Logic II? That's what the Logitech system mentioned above does to turn 2 ch into 5.1 via Dolby Pro Logic II. It would also explain why I have the same model TV, and it won't pass thru DD5.1 from HDMI to optical.

Everything I've ever read about the subject indicates there is an HDMI copy protection spec which prohibits 5.1 pass thru to optical. This includes official statements from samsung, toshiba and others. I seriously doubt these big name makers are suddenly breaking this long-standing rule.

I have to go with the conventional wisdom on this one and say no TV is really doing this.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 /forum/post/21540515

I'm surprised to learn that so many here believe that DD 5.1 is restricted to the set's onboard ATSC tuner.

Not to be rude in any way shape or form,,, but Im a bit suppised that someone that has been an AVS member for so long thinks that 5.1 can be passed thru an optical connection via an HDMI source,,, I thought it was common knowlege that 5.1 wont pass thru as 5.1 thru an optical connection via HDMI,,,,, an optical out on EVERY panel made always downmix's down to a 2.1 stereo send out from the optical output.

I wish it were not so, its a dumb regulation and really hurts the consumer.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry if this is hijacking, but the topic dovetails with my situation and question:

I was recently told by my local TWC office that no matter what dvr box I used from them I cannot hook hdmi from the box directly to an avr - there WILL be handshake problems. I need to go from box to tv, and use optical for audio to avr. Given the conversation here, that means optical from the box, and not the tv.

Is this y'all's understanding also?

Is there any way at all to go dvr/set top box to avr to tv?

All I want is for my avr to be the hdmi switch for everything
but it seems I'm not allowed. Maybe I want too much?

Dennon 1612

and yet to be purchased tv

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIvan /forum/post/21560842

sorry if this is hijacking, but the topic dovetails with my situation and question:

I was recently told by my local TWC office that no matter what dvr box I used from them I cannot hook hdmi from the box directly to an avr - there WILL be handshake problems. I need to go from box to tv, and use optical for audio to avr. Given the conversation here, that means optical from the box, and not the tv.

Is this y'all's understanding also?

Is there any way at all to go dvr/set top box to avr to tv?

All I want is for my avr to be the hdmi switch for everything
but it seems I'm not allowed. Maybe I want too much?

Dennon 1612

and yet to be purchased tv

Unless your STB is some strange version?...STB to the avr and then out of the avr to the display is the most common way to do it.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts