AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Hitachi 53SWX01W. I live in TW digital cable land. I can recieve HD signals via the cable feed, but TW doesn't provide the HD reciever boxes yet -- with no idea of a time frame. Unfortunately, I cannot find any clear answers. What would one recommend using as an HD decoder/tuner? Should I look at a combo sat/hd decoder unit?

I'm guessing there are others out there in the same boat I am in. What are you doing for your HD solution?

Thanks,

--Mike

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Welcome to the forums. That depends on what you mean by "I can receive HD signals via the cable feed." If these HD signals are QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) developed by the cable company and used with their rented HD converters, then you'll have to wait for them to issue these converters. But if they're UHF 8-VSB HDTV signals, the same as you can pick up over the air (OTA), then you can buy any of the several tuner/decoders on the market, such as the RCA DTC100. With the right options, most of these will work for satellite, OTA, or cable 8-VSB HDTV. Cable 8-VSB HDTV, BTW, seems fairly rare, so I'd be positive (another user?) before buying a tuner/decoder for cable HDTV alone. Prefer not to make any specific model suggestions myself since I get HDTV via cable 8-VSB, and my set has a built-in HDTV tuner. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm trying to verify what I think I saw here in Houston. A buddy has/had a General Instrument Digital Cable box from TWC. We hooked up my DTC-100 to the RF output and YES HD out of the RGB to his Mits. BUT, I now have a Motorola Digital Cable box and its RF out won't decode in the DTC-100. Can anybody verify that the outputs of the Digital box are different in these two brands?

Of course the TWC CSR says "....of course you have to rent our box for HD otherwise what would be the point..."

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
John,

I'm trying to verify the existence of a 8-VSB signal for Time Warner Cable in Staten Island NY.

I had no problem receiving it in Brooklyn with a accessDTV card, but am having trouble with a Toshiba DST-3000 in Staten Island.

Everytime I run the scan all I get is a few cable stations and no HD signal (HBO, CBS)

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Mason:
Welcome to the forums. That depends on what you mean by "I can receive HD signals via the cable feed." If these HD signals are QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) developed by the cable company and used with their rented HD converters, then you'll have to wait for them to issue these converters. But if they're UHF 8-VSB HDTV signals, the same as you can pick up over the air (OTA), then you can buy any of the several tuner/decoders on the market, such as the RCA DTC100. With the right options, most of these will work for satellite, OTA, or cable 8-VSB HDTV. Cable 8-VSB HDTV, BTW, seems fairly rare, so I'd be positive (another user?) before buying a tuner/decoder for cable HDTV alone.
Thanks. I suffered from a lack of faith talking to the rep on the phone. I'll probably head down to the local office and see what I can dig up. According to rep though, the HD broadcast is available with basic channel cable. This leads me to believe its a retransmission of the OTA stuff. The rep did explicitly say that digital cable is not needed to recieve the HD signals. This probably means its the UHF 8-VSB signal...

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sabbota:
This leads me to believe its a retransmission of the OTA stuff. The rep did explicitly say that digital cable is not needed to receive the HD signals. This probably means its the UHF 8-VSB signal...
You seem to be clear on the distinction, but just in case...

On my TWC line, HDTV is sent out in both the 8-VSB and QAM formats. The cable-oriented QAM signals require a HD converter, which so far has been limited to some beta testers here. The 8-VSB, which doesn't need a TWC-supplied converter, is identical to the other HDTV signals received at a cable head-end. It's simply modulated differently when it's piped out to customers. BTW, digital cable really isn't needed to receive HDTV; I and others locally were viewing CBS and HBO HDTV as 8-VSB long before TWC started converting the city to digital cable.

frankx99,

Hope you succeed in getting the Toshiba 3000 working with TWC. Believe in an earlier thread you mentioned the engineering guy at Staten Island TWC's head-end said they only sent out CBS as 8-VSB, not HBO. Last year, when some DTC100 owners had problems auto-tuning HDTV via cable, they solved the problem by manually entering the channel numbers. Perhaps your sources can confirm they send out CBS at 46 UHF, as they seem to elsewhere in NYC. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.