1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Will you be doing anything to equalize the experiences? Or will this be completely different euqipment, in completely different environments? If so, what conclusion can one draw from any information presented?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/16926121

Not what it's about.

I agree with both of you. Now what it is about, but his point is valid. It also applies to virtually every audio review that is done, at least with regard to reviewers offering contrasting opinions on different products evaluated at different times with different setups, often in different environments.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/16926610

I agree with both of you. Now what it is about, but his point is valid. It also applies to virtually every audio review that is done, at least with regard to reviewers offering contrasting opinions on different products evaluated at different times with different setups, often in different environments.

I think the poiny is most applicable to speakers. Hearing speakers in two different places with completely different rooms and accoustic treatment, only provides remote anecdotal value.

If one brought the speakers to the same room the variables would be reduced quite a bit relative to above scenario.

Of course, it is difficult to get people to send you a bunch of $100K speakers to compare side by side
. So I appreciate the difficulty here. I hope our difficulty in putting value on the evaluation is also understood just the same

At the end of they, the only concrete result will be who can put together the best demo in their facility....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Morr /forum/post/16924591

Sounds like good fun. I'll be living vicariously.

But, how come you're not visiting ..... oh wait, someone's at the door.

Don't assume these were the only manufacturers invited to participate. If someone chose not to be part of it, not much I can do.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/16925568

Will you be doing anything to equalize the experiences? Or will this be completely different euqipment, in completely different environments? If so, what conclusion can one draw from any information presented?

This is, of course, an obvious point. The variances in the acoustic environments alone is enough to make apples-to-apples comparisons very difficult.

The real point here is to try and suss-out just what each designer is trying to accomplish, and what is special about their product. I'm going to try and set my tastes aside completely and simply hear what is before me. Does it make sense from a musical perspective? Does it accomplish a set of goals? Can I determine an intrinsic sound?

This is going to be really hard work.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycalda /forum/post/16929766

Hopefully you will be able to bring along some of your own music from different genres.

That's the plan. I also intend to have a checklist of things to listen for, and ask the designer, since I think in each case that person or persons will be present. I also intend to have a complete equipment listing from each system, room dimensions, amount of acoustic treatment, and whatever other variables make sense to list for folks.

Ideas welcome . . .

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
If you will go and listen to those speakers at the manufactures site I think you probably will get the best result because I would think that the manufacture have the right acoustic environments for just HIS speakers. All speakers are not made for the same room treatment.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim916 /forum/post/17019367

Jeff,

I see that you will be auditioning an active version of the Arrakis at Rockport. Will the speaker be able to be converted back to passive form for a comparison?

I don't know. I actually haven't spoken to Andy Payor at length yet. Rockport is the next-to-last stop, but I'll certainly ask the question and report back on it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadMilkman /forum/post/17024817

Coming to Memphis, eh?

Yep, last stop on the Tour.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I leave in about 24 hours. The first stop will be Wilson Audio, where I'll get to hear the Alexandria X-2s coupled with a pair of Thor's Hammer subwoofers. From what I'm told this is the first time the X-2s have been fully optimized in Dave Wilson's listening room -- there are no other speakers present for comparison purposes to take up space.

I'll also get to hear the Sasha W/P versus the WATT/Puppy 8 at the factory.

This article will go up on Monday, and I'll post a link when I have it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jeff,

Please shoot some video of these great visits, put it up on a youtube channel. It would be very cool. I bet the character of the systems would show through.

Peter

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.