AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on TWC Cincinnati's HDTV waiting list for six months. I call them once per month to check status. It has been amazing how little the phone reps know about HDTV. Most think it is just another name for digital cable. Today I actually received a call from them. The rep was taking a survey of those on the waiting list to see what equipment we have. He asked me if I had a HDTV. He asked me if I could get any high def channels. I said yes. Then he asked if I was using any "external device." I told him that that was the only way I could be watching high def channels. He asked me what cable channel I watched high def on. I held back my laughter and told him that I was watching over the air. He expressed amazement that I could get HDTV channels over the air. I told him about the four HDTV channels available in Cincinnati. He asked me the channel numbers. Then he asked me how I received them without a cable box. I told him I use an indoor antenna, but I could receive only CBS satisfactorily due to signal strength. That is why I am interested in the TWC high def cable service.

It certainly doen't instill confidence in TWC when I have to explain these things to them. I hope the engineers and managers making decisions know enough to do it right.

For what it is worth, he said the "new boxes" would be available in about 60 days. I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What part of the city are you in? I'm not having any trouble at all receiving the locals off the air in Indian Hills. IMHO, you'd be better off signing up with D* or E* and getting your locals OTA than waiting for TWC.

Have you checked www.antennaweb.org for an antenna recommendation? You may be able to change antennas and/or pointing of your antenna and pick up the rest of the local digitals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might want to try an indoor/outdoor antenna with an amplifier. My Terk does a great job. I moved it outside this summer for a more consistent signal, but even indoors I picked up all the stations most of the time.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
That doesn't suprise me! IMO, they are a bunch of bumbling idiots sometimes, sheesh!

I'm in a great spot (although I could use an updated antenna for ABC). I just use a pair of rabbit ears and I get pretty much everything.

Troy:mad:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
I am in Mason, using an indoor Silver Sensor UHF. I do not wish to install an outdoor antenna.

I live in Liberty Township about 500 yds west of Mason. I have no trouble receiving 4 stations using an indoor RS Double Bowtie with no amplification (DST-3000 signal strengths are 60-100). I tried a Silver Sensor, but it was very directional, and even when I got it pointed right, the signal strength was not as high as with the RS.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
For what it is worth, he said the "new boxes" would be available in about 60 days. I am not holding my breath.
Did the guy mention if these will be the new Scientific Atlanta 3100HD ? I've a friend who works for Roadrunner Cincinnati and he told me that the TWC HDTV beta program using the old 2000HD boxes wasn't successful at all because the cable boxes locked up all the time. Supposedly that's why they never rolled it out to the general public earlier this year. A decision was made to wait until the new SA 3100HD boxes become available.

I'm in the same boat you are.. I live in Forrest Park and the only HDTV I can receive is CBS.

-Marc

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just checked twcinci.com and they have added HDTV under the 'Coming Soon' section. We'll see....

-Marc

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thank you for writing Time Warner Cable Customer Service,

The survey was taken from a randaom sample of subscribers on our list. We

have confirmed with the marketing department that you are definitely on the

HDTV waiting list. We will contact subscribers on the HDTV waiting list once

that service is available. However, we do not have an estimated launch date

at this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.