AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know in my area they offer almost all local channels in HD (in the 500 range), same with HBO HD, Discovery HD, Showtime HD, ESPN HD, and 2 PPV movie channels.

My question is if those channels like Spike, USA, etc will also be in HD some day? Or do those channels meet the FCC requirments since they are digital channels? It would be great if ALL channels some day were in HD, I am sure not within the next 2 years, but what about all those cable channels?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure I have ESPN in HD, I never watch ESPN, but I was told it was there by my customer service lady a few weeks back when they switched everyone to the DigiPic packages. I could be very wrong, but I thought I remember seeing it, but they have been adding HD channels all the time in the last month.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by treminga
....but what about all those cable channels?
I'm sure as soon as they are available in HD, TWC will be considering them. It should take at least a few more years before that happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHOA!!! I guess I am wrong!!!! Ahhhhhhhh OHHHH NOOOOO I AM WRONG!!!!! :)

There are no requirments for the other channels to be in HD correct? The FCC rules is that they are digital- right? And since they are digital now they have met the requirements?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The FCC rules about the migration to digital only apply to OTA channels anyway. Channels carried exclusively on cable and satellite are not effected by the rule.

D* & E* are already technically transmitting digital. More and more cable companies are switching their analog channels to digital to free up bandwidth.

I'm sure many cable/satellite channels will launch HD service in the next few years, but I'm also sure that many others will not be making the switch anytime soon. And, some may never produce programming in HD.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm sure the migration path will be affected by how various channels see their audiences. I'd be surprised if Sundance and IFC (Independent Film Channel) aren't early adopters; much of their programming is widescreen (letterboxed) already, and their audiences seem to prefer it that way.

On the other hand, TNT is launching an HD version in May, and I wouldn't have expected that for awhile. MTV and/or FUSE would probably want to for the hipness factor, but how long will it be before there's a significant library of widescreen content there?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as long as the last to adapt is Lifetime and Oxygen... I don't think I can listen to any more of those outrageous plot lines PLUS listen to how clear the picture and sound were.... uggggg ;-)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BobColby
MTV and/or FUSE would probably want to for the hipness factor, but how long will it be before there's a significant library of widescreen content there?
It'll be a couple of years before you see the low-budget, contract-shoot productions on MTV start to show up in HD of any flavor.

On the other hand, I would be perfectly happy with a widescreen 480p version of either -- in fact, when I'm working from home, I frequently turn on Fuse as background music because much of their programming is in letterbox, which zooms nicely to a quasi-16:9 display.

Yeah, HD would be good, but I'd settle for widescreen 480p for quite a lot of the content that's out there today.

-T.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BobColby
On the other hand, TNT is launching an HD version in May, and I wouldn't have expected that for awhile. MTV and/or FUSE would probably want to for the hipness factor, but how long will it be before there's a significant library of widescreen content there?

actually a surprising # of music videos are widescreen. I don't see MTV forking over the $$ anytime soon tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.