AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am an analog TWC customer and just got a new HDTV. I also bought a Sony HD100 which I have been using for OTA HD. I am thinking of upgrading my cable to Digital and HD but have a couple of questions first.

- Will the upgrade to digital cable improve my horrid cable reception and resultant image?

- I am wondering if I could use my current HD STB for the HD(and Digital too)reception?

- Also, can I buy a digital box which will work instead of renting TWCs box?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do not have an HDTV yet but I have done some research into TWC in Houston because I do have plans to get an HDTV, eventually. So I will answer these questions the best I can. And yes I do have Digital Cable with TWC Houston.

You will get a better picture with Digital Cable only on the pay stations, HBO etc.....The other stations look the same.

I do not think you can use anything but their box, but do not

quote me on that.

As far as buying your own box I really do not know.

If you do a search in HDTV Programming on this forum for "Houston" in the subject line you will find a wealth of information.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Why did you decide to buy an HDTV now when the new standards have not come out yet? Aren't you afraid your new HDTV will be obsolete?

Mark Condon

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I just got TWC digital and HD. I had them rerun a new RG-6 cable and get excellent reception. The digital channels vary in quality. I think there is probably a given amount of total bandwidth and depending on the time of day they will look a bit overcompressed to very nice. Usually better than DirectTV IMO.

The HD is of course excellent, BUT, the HD-200 decoder box suffers from two major problems:

1. It only supports 16:9 HDTV's - mine is a 4:3.

2. I have to unplug/replug (turning it on/off doesn't suffice) to get HD channels to lock sometimes. (actually fairly often)

To mitigate 1. I dedicate one HD input to that box and leave it in 16:9 "squeeze" mode. This is ok for a nerd guy, but has a poor WAF. #2. I assume will require me to swap boxes until I find one that works.

Other problems? Well the digital audio is great! But since its only available on a select few channels its easier to use the analog. Again, switching back and forth is poor WAF.

Why they can't have a box that upconverts everything to HD and digital audio I don't know. Anyone know of an autoswitching ADC that gives preference to a digital input, otherwise it converts the analong input to digital?

There you have my take.

Ken

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kenland:

If you watch regular TV on a 16x9 HDTV set with the box that TWC Houston provides what does the picture look like? Is it stretched or are there bars on each side?

Does the box have an optical or coax out for sound?

What about the video out of the box? What kind of cable goes to the HDTV from the box?

Thx

Mark

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
If you watch a 4:3 program out of the HDD-200 onto a 16:9 display it has black bars on the sides. If the display is a 4:3 using 16:9 "squeeze" mode (like I am) you get black bars on all four sides!

Coax digital out.

The video outputs are either RGBHV (5 RCA jacks) or Component (3 of the 5 RCA jacks)

Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.