AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have called TWC tech support and received virtually nothing in return. OK, I have two questions:

*Is PBS just a constant amazing loop? It's a great picture, but some variation would be nice.

*When I switch to certain shows (Law & Order: SVU, Fox 26 Local News at Nine) it sees it as an HD signal and goes widescreen. I have little bars on the outside with graphics. What's up with that? Is the local news 1080i widescreen?

The PBS channel is 308. Am I doing anything wrong?

I just got HD tonight and I love it. Give me your Houston tips and tricks if you are so inclined.

OUT

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have called TWC tech support and received virtually nothing in return.

One reason I was so happy to leave them.

Is PBS just a constant amazing loop?

Yes it is one loop.

When I switch to certain shows (Law & Order: SVU, Fox 26 Local News at Nine) it sees it as an HD signal and goes widescreen. I have little bars on the outside with graphics. What's up with that?

Those bars just mean they are sending their regular NTSC upconverted to the HD channel. instead of just having black or grey bars they try to be cute and make their own.

Is the local news 1080i widescreen?

absolutely not. i wish. its just the regular NTSC upconverted to the HD channel

The PBS channel is 308. Am I doing anything wrong?

doesn't sound like it

I just got HD tonight and I love it.

welcome to the club. HD is great. watch CSI on CBS.

Give me your Houston tips and tricks if you are so inclined.

watch out for traffic on the katy freeway and the 610 loop during rush hour. oh! you meant HD tips? hit the exit button on the time warner remote right after you change HD stations and it will speed the channel change delay up a bit. dont call TWC customer service. expect dropouts on the jay leno show in hd. enjoy HD

OUT

you a jim rome fan?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am a Jim Rome fan. I listen daily at work.

You left TWC? What do you have now?

I have noticed the constant Leno drops but the picture is stunning! I am very glad I have HD now.

OUT

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes, I am a Jim Rome fan. I listen daily at work.

as do i

You left TWC? What do you have now?

OTA for CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, and ABC

Directv for HBO and HDnet

I have noticed the constant Leno drops but the picture is stunning! I am very glad I have HD now.

i haven't had TWC for a long time now and I still predicted those leno dropouts. do me a favor and drop TWC.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The STBs were way too expensive for me to invest in now. With many people talking about adopting DVI for the new STBs, I went ahead and just signed up for this. The whole thing is only costing me $25 a month.

OUT

·
Registered
117 Posts
PBS is generally a loop as there is not a lot of HD stuff yet. But some evenings they have HD stuff on that is not the loop, though it tends to get repeated as well. The Africa shows have been on many evenings (stunning colors). I don't think there is a schedule that has the HD programming, though you could email the PBS station and ask them. (I would do that but am too lazy...)

When you switch to the HD channels, if the show is not in HD then it will be in a 4:3 box in a 16:9 box, with bars at the side to fill out the 16:9 box. I guess it is a digital picture (it looks a bit better, esp on the local stations) but is not HD. You will see the same on SHO and HBO when the movies being shown are not widescreen format -- the same format as on the regular HBO/SHO are on the HD channels in a 4:3 box.

But when they are being show in widescreen "HD" (not all are actually HD it seems, but some approximation that still looks good) the HD channel will have them as such, while the regular channel will show the 4:3 version, same as with the broadcast channels.

--R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.