AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally gettting an HD box from TWC on Tuesday. I've heard that there have been sound problems in the past. Is there anything that I should check while the techs are still there?

Are there any channels other than HBO, SHO and CBS broadcasting in digital on TWC?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Brett

·
Registered
144 Posts
Right now, all you will get is CBS, HBO and Showtime. I got one of the boxes two weeks ago -- I have not had any sound problems -- I have received programs in Dolby 5.1. No word as to when the additional HDTV channels will be back on.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I know you guys are in New York, but you can hit the local TWC reps with our lineup in Houston. We get:

*PBS- 480, widescreen

*NBC- True HD

*ABC- 720p, 5.1 sound, widescreen

*FOX- 480p, widescreen

Tell them that you want it! We have it.

OUT

·
Registered
55 Posts
Uh, Houston, we had a problem with the building our DTV transmitters were on.... TWC was taking the off the air signal for NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS. This leaves CBS, HB0-HD, SHO-HD which TWC was getting via fiber.

With everything else that has been going on it is going to be awhile for TWC-NYC to get the feeds back. They were never the fastest operation in the best of times.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is my setup and experience with TWC-NYC:

1) You will want to hook up analog as well as digital audio. You will need the analog hookup if you want to watch the analog broadcast stations (like channel 4).

2) The box feeds a digital signal at all times with will probably discombobulate the auto signal selector on your receiver on analog broadcast stations. I have to manually select "analog sound" on my Denon 5800

3) I have S-video as well as the component video hooked up. The box should feed component for all stations but my display (sony plasma) can't stretch or zoom the component feed of 4x3 NTSC signals.

4) The box should come set for three wire component (Y,Pb,Pr), unless you requested otherwise. My installers were a little confused and I had to tell them it was not necessary to connect the H and V (for RGBHV) wires.

5) Watch Band of Brothers tonight at 11:00 for a good shakedown test. You should get an awesome picture with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. HBO-HD varies between DD2.0 (pro-logic) and true 5.1, depending on the movie.

6) I'm really pleased with mine. Even with just three stations (makes me sad when I think about why...) it is a blast. Don't tell your neighbors or they will be around all the time! This is what it must have been like to get a color set 40 years ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm helping out a buddy in Manhattan with his new Sony XBR 700... he has TWC DTV. I just called TWC and explained that he'd like to get a HD box with component outputs. The person I spoke with, as you may expect, has no clue what I'm talking about and neither did the admin that she asked.

Does anyone have a cable box model number I can ask for or anyone specific that I should ask to talk to?

Any help is appreciated... thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone know where TWC HDTV is available in the NY area? I live in Queens, so I don't know if they are sending an HDTV signal my way. I called a customer service rep. and they said HDTV is still in the testing phase and a select few have it. Anyone outside of Manhattan getting a HDTV from Time Warner, either through TWC's own set-top box or by using a DTV Tuner? Otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to get it via DBS.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Call Bob Watson's office at 212 598 7363. His assistant can put you on the list for a HDTV converter. As someone mentioned, calling customer service often doesn't help.

While you're requesting HDTV service, suggest you urge that TWC immediately restore PBS, NBC, ABC lost in the WTC attack via fiber/cable links direct from NYC network studios. They'll instantly offer some excuse about expensive hardware and fiber (already used for NTSC), or that engineers are struggling with restoring OTA NTSC and can't walk/chew gum at the same time.

But explain to them that if the networks can beam HDTV via satellite throughout the country they can deliver it a few miles to TWC's 23rd St. Manhattan offices via NYC's extensive underground fiber/cable system;(or perhaps a shorter distance to a headend.) TWC also has rooftop antennas that pick up the national satellite feeds of network HDTV. Yes, that'll take special down-conversion hardware, but we're all paying TWC lots of coins monthly to buy it. -- John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.