AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 6412, but it may be an old version (DVI out). Darn thing locks up all the time and it is so frustrating. I also recently purchased a Tivo HD. My cable company initially said I could just pick up the cable cards, but now they need an installed to come out (I live right by the cable company). So I don't want to waste time dealing with an installer and hastling with the Tivo and was wondering if a newer version of the 6412 is any good? I saw some threads about a version III or something and I can pick that up on the way home from work and just return the Tivo. From what I can see the Tivo is pretty good, but its just extra hastle for me. Oh yeah, plus since it needs the phone line (which I don't have), I need to get a wireless adapter as well...increasing the hastle/cost factor.

Anyway, is it worth it to just suck it up and go with the Tivo or is there a "new" 6412 that does a pretty good job?

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Tivo HD is most certainly worth the "hassle".. The new 6412 (The phase III) is the same as the one you have, except it includes an HDMI port, and maybe a couple other minor changes.

Also, if you plan on connecting your Tivo to your network, then it does not need a phone line.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any particular reason I should go with the Tivo HD?

The 6412 seems to have everything I need, but the darn thing locks up/freezes all the time. I have heard of this problem, but not sure if they have fixed it in the recent models.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If you have a home network, you can download shows from your TiVo for archiving/transport elsewhere. You get TiVo's interface, TiVo Suggestions, Amazon Unbox (soon in HD!), you can stream your own music and view your own photos on your TiVo, and so on. You can also expand your TiVo's storage via eSATA. There are assorted features, but yes, the TiVo will almost certainly be a lot more stable. Unfortunately, the Moto DVR boxes are not the best designed, most stable or reliable.

You won't be able to watch On-Demand, or impulse-PPV programming, and SDV *might* be a problem, depending on where you're located (though the tuning resolvers should be appearing soon). However, on the whole it is definitely a better experience, and if iPPV and on-demand are musts for you, you can get a plain HD cable box and use it for those services.

(I don't have a financial interest in TiVo, but I'm a happy owner of a Series3 TiVo.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. I have a HTPC that will accomplish most of the Tivo specific tasks so there is no need for that.

Maybe the better question is if it is realistic that I can get a 6412 that will be reliable. I know mine gives me problems, so does my neighbors...and a search turns up plenty on this freeze issue. However, is that just a small population?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslamma /forum/post/14198078

Thanks for the insight. I have a HTPC that will accomplish most of the Tivo specific tasks so there is no need for that.

Except recording directly from digital cable, Suggestions, and the TiVo UI... but I guess, if it works well enough for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslamma /forum/post/14198078

Maybe the better question is if it is realistic that I can get a 6412 that will be reliable. I know mine gives me problems, so does my neighbors...and a search turns up plenty on this freeze issue. However, is that just a small population?

I've found a lot of complaints about a wide variety of problems with them; check out the Wikibooks information on Motorola DVRs for more detail than you can probably stomach. There's a list of known bugs for different firmware versions and similar information. You'll probably find that the problems you're encountering are pretty much to be expected.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just went to the cable office and they had pretty limited selection. Sucking it up and going with the Tivo HD. I just hate for the cable guy to come into my place..maybe I am paranoid, but I always think they are going to come back and rob me.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslamma /forum/post/14201344

Just went to the cable office and they had pretty limited selection. Sucking it up and going with the Tivo HD. I just hate for the cable guy to come into my place..maybe I am paranoid, but I always think they are going to come back and rob me.

You really can't go wrong with the TiVo HD. Ask your cable company for a single "M Card" instead of two "S cards". One less point of potential failure and it's usually cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts