AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cable box stopped functioning. I needed to replace it, but was told that the 3100HD boxes were not been distributed by Time Warner Cable anymore. Apparently, there is a "glitch" with the Explorer 3100HD boxes used by TWC in NYC. Nobody at TWC is able/willing to provide additional information. Now I have an Explorer 3250 STB. Does anyone know anything about these boxes being recalled or not being distributed due to a glitch??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it is the HD version of the 3250, your lucky. This box fixes a lot of the bugs that the 3100HD had. I've been waiting impatiently for the 3250HD for 6 months.

Heres a link to the specs for the 3250HD:

3250HD

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There was another guy on the forum that actually found the issue with the most recent batch of HD 3100 boxes in NYC. Something wrong with the picture quality that they had to send the entire batch back to Scientific Atlanta.

My appointment was cancelled as a result. I'm hoping that NYC is getting the new batch of Pioneer HD boxes that are suppsoedly awesome. At this point, I have a $2k HDTV monitor with no HD pictures :(

Do you have the SA3250 High Def box?

Drew

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are they distributing the models with the optional DVI and Firewire? Can I just call TWC and ask for an upgrade from the 3100HD?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since TWC NYC is not offering the 3100HD, are they offering the new 3250 STB or any other HD box? Did you get the 3250 STB from TWC NYC? I am about to upgrade to DTV to get HD and I don't know if they are offering any new HD boxes . I will try and go to Kissena and find out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the 3100HD and have not had problems with it but if the 3250 has firewire it would go great with my JVC HD recorder.

·
Registered
87 Posts
From what I've heard from others on this forum already using the 3250HD, it will output 720p.

It also fixes the sound problem using the digital audio output on analog stations, and has aspect ratio controls.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If we bought the 3250HD ourselves, would TWC in New York allow us to use it (or do they have to adjust it internally)?

The 3250HD comes with optional DVI and optional firewire (you can also have both). If we could buy it and use it with both of these options, I certainly would (once I have my HDTV set).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not get an HD box from TWC. The STB they gave me was the Explorer 3250, which appears to have the same feature set as the Explorer 3100. No 720p. No DVI. No Component output. Here's a write-up:
http://www.sciatl.com/customers/subs...dfs/752299.pdf

I called the TWC Hidef group. They stated that the fixed STBs will possibly be available in mid-May and it will be the same 3100HD as previously. It would be so sweet if they provided the newer boxes (3510HD) in this write-up:
http://www.burningbits.com/artman/pu...ticle_17.shtml

·
Registered
92 Posts
No Component output? I don't think it is the HD version. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice find drew138. Nice specs. Now, we have to find out when they will start distributing this.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't get it. Don't you need to use a box provided by TWC? How does the Pace converter know what level of service you have subscribed for?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chewitt
I don't get it. Don't you need to use a box provided by TWC? How does the Pace converter know what level of service you have subscribed for?
I don't think he was referring to people buying their own boxes. He meant that TWC might be using these boxes in the future.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chewitt
Don't you need to use a box provided by TWC? How does the Pace converter know what level of service you have subscribed for?
I think that TWC determines the level of service you have subscribed for at their headquarters and allows only those signals to be sent out to your box. When you want (later on) to pay for more services, they allow correspondingly more signals to be sent out without touching the box itself.

I still think they have to manually program the box (before handing it to you) so that they can communicate with it long distance. Otherwise we could buy the box and install it ourselves (which would be great, since it would allow us to buy a better box). Can anyone confirm that TWC has to manually program the box before handing it to us?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Bill. I did mean to infer that hopefully TWC NYC will deploy these boxes in the market soon.

To the latter point however, for digital cable boxes, the cable network has to be configured to work with a particular brand of box. If that box works on the network, all the cable company really needs is the Unique Serial Number from that Box in their systems so they can identify it in the system. Once they have that box in their system, they can add/delete programs and features from the head end. This is all a general statement, but in general.....

So in theory, you could buy a supported box and hook it up to the TV and work out the details with the cable company, however, it's probably not that easy since there are a lot of issues with billing systems, etc..

Cable companies are lobbying to have Digital Cable Decoders as part of the TV set so that the customer pay's for the technology, rather than the cable company, which shell out big $$$ each year for these boxes, and spends even more sending trucks to peoples homes to install them.

Anyway, hopefully, these Pace Boxes will see their way into the NYC market!!!!

If anyone hears anything on the TWC NYC HD Box issue, please post it hear, because I'm really hoping to get my HD signal for the Flyers/Stars Stanley Cup Finals. ;)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drew138
...I'm really hoping to get my HD signal for the Flyers/Stars Stanley Cup Finals. ;)
Wouldn't you rather have HD for this year's finals (go Devils).

1 - 20 of 365 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.