AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a SA2000HD box in the first wave of rollouts. For the past few months, I've experienced picture and sound drop outs. I also lost the DD 5.1 sound when I switched from the SA2100.

It is my understanding that TWC is going to distribute the new and improved boxes to the new requests before resolving the issues of the early adopters who've been paying for this "less than perfect" service for the past few months.

Is this true? Am I the only one that see's this as a problem?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by K_Thompson
I requested the SA-2000HD with digital service from TWC on 10/23 - had it installed at my home on 10/27. Works great. No complaints in central California.
Ken, just curious--what channels are you getting in HD on your system in Bakersfield?

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm one of the "new requests". They gave me a SA200HD a couple of weeks ago and it does have 5.1 audio. Most of my audio and picture dropouts are on HBO. This leads me to suspect it is not the converter box's problem.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
HBO's Band of Brothers (part #9) last night was affected by periodic drop outs that included several complete total blackouts. Very uncharacteristic here. I am going on the assumption for now it was HBO and or TW and not my 2000HD box.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Mike,

I'm getting two of the HBO channels and two of the Showtime channels in HD. I plan on checking tonight to see if TWC passes the HD broadcasts from the major networks (Jay Leno etc...)

I haven't experienced any dropouts in sound (5.1 DD) or picture yet, though sometimes channels seem to take awhile to resolve once I enter the channel number. The channel and current program info come up very quickly, but sometimes the picture takes a while (SD and HD broadcasts).

I also love the program guide. Beats the hell out of sifting through a copy of TV Guide Mag or looking in the newspaper. Remember that I've only had the service for a few days now. My impressions could change with time, but for now I am very pleased.

Ken

·
Registered
238 Posts
I watched Band of Brothers last night and there were no dropouts, audio or video. It probably is your box or your signal strength. Is your box in a well ventilated place? Heat may be a problem with these boxes. Got mine sitting on half inch high chunks of rubber and is in the open air not inside of a cabinet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
This is my third HD box (box #1 died; 2 and 3 had identical audio problem, kept last one). Also, TW recently rewired my house with RG-6 and added an amp. Signal has been verified good in past with current setup (one 1GHz splitter in line that runs a second line into the TV). Signal strength should not have been a problem.

There is an Audio quirk with this box (and its twin made in Sept) and two others just received from SA (1 made in 1999, other Oct 2001). I have to go into the settings and scroll down to the digital audio line to get it to "see" the digital audio whenever I choose a HD channel. (regular HBO digital audio is fine). First box worked fine. SA is working the issue with TW.

Last nights HBO dropouts were mainly in the first 30 min as I recall and happened maybe half a dozen times. Twas unusual for HBO. Did have a problem with PBS with dropouts back in the spring but that got fixed by the PBS/TW engineers. Hopefully it will not be an ongoing thing.

Bruce

addendum: Forgot to add the box is on top of the rack. open totally on 3 sides and mostly from the rear as well. Heat has not been a problem in the past but will keep an eye on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.