AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got Time Warner to send me a box, which is arriving tomorrow. A SA something HD, not sure if 2000 or 3100. Either way, no firewire. Now I see that Pace makes a box with firewire, but TW is stuck with these and surely they don't care.

Does anyone have info on alternative boxes with 1394, such as cost and availability to consumer? Sure would like to put the HTPC to good use with digital cable HD signals, and don't see any other way.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
My vintage SA2000HD has non-active Ethernet, USB, and data jacks. Perhaps what's needed until the latest-generation cable converters with real digital-out ports arrives is some clever tinkering. In other forums threads describe modifications of DVD machines to permit direct display of digital video. Of course, folks own their modified DVD players instead of rent them. -- John

·
Registered
474 Posts
I haven't seen that Pace's boxes are actually available yet. Surely TWC does care, because we're the ones that pushed them to build a box. I personally hammered on their reps and senior engineers because I was tired of being sole-sourced to S/A and having customers waiting for boxes because production capability was insufficient.

If, and only if, the box performs up to spec (we've seen the problems with the 2000HD), TWC will almost certainly buy some. Do we still have waiting lists for boxes? Then certainly we could use additional suppliers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the Explorer 3100HD receives all two (HBO & CBS) HD feeds. Only component out. They've barely even started using these, so future STB upgrades look thin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.