AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Actually, doesn't it say that only 50,000 of those will be HD-capable (the 3100HD)? The rest are 475,000 Explorer 2100 and 100,000 Explorer 8000 PVR's, neither one of which has any mention of HD. Not so good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
50,000 is better than zero. My local cable company

is also going to start testing with the 3100HD

in the next couple of months (when they become

available I guess) and then shoot for an offering

the first quarter of 2002. I was going to go with

satellite but will now hold off.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stand corrected. 50,000 units support HD. Thanks, Vic.

As wfmiller stated, "50,000" units is better than "zero-thousand" units!;)

·
Registered
824 Posts
The SA web site indicates the 8000 will have HD capabilities:

"This innovative set-top will also enable the simultaneous viewing and recording of two channels of programming and support HDTV via memory options."

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I'm not sure what they mean by "via memory options", but if this really is an HD PVR, it will be THE piece of equipment to get!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do any of these STBs that TWC is purchasing for HD require firewire of DVI inputs? The product descriptions on Scientific-Atlanta's web site says nothing about digital inputs but mentions analog hookups. Does this mean that copy protected programming will be down converted?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Called TWC in NYC today, hoping to exchange my current SA2000HD for a 3100HD when it arrives. TWC said there's still a waiting list of 450 for HDTV converters, and that they don't have a list for upcoming 3100HDs yet. (Bob Watson's office at 212 598 7363).

BTW, thought I'd read a post here a while back, which copied a Scientific Atlanta press release, indicating the 3100HDs wouldn't arrive until 1st Quarter 2002. Something about special chip availability, which might be related to giving cable operators the ability to restrict aspects of some programming (down-resolution?).

The part about 2100s being suitable for VOD and other interactive programming, but apparently not having HDTV ability, is puzzling. You'd think an upgrade to HDTV would include VOD, etc., even if the latter weren't in the immediate plans of a local cable system. -- John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.