AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TWC has been jerking me around, and the other day there was a rep from RCN in the lobby of my building encouraging people to switch to RCN - they now have high speed internet access, as well as the following HD offerings:

ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX, HBO, SHO, ESPN, HDNET, HDNETMOVIES, DISCOVERY.

I'm going to do the research to see exactly what the differences are between the two services, but off the top of your head, is there any reason that I should choose one over the other?

·
Registered
118 Posts
As opposed to what?.. time warner doesn't get any slower.. @ least in NYC they don't.. I wish RCN was available in my area, I would've dumped Time warner long ago...

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I've had TWC, or its ancestors, for decades, and added RCN a few months back just for its HD tier (2 HDNets, ESPN-HD, Discovery [before TWCNYC's Discovery add]). Don't have all of RCN's frills, such as premiums, since I already have TWC's full "It's All Here" Road-Runner, all-premiums package.

Find I switch a lot between the HD sources to sample what's interesting. RCN might be 'better' with its Motorola 5100 converter, which doesn't have the faint 'fog' of my TWC SA3100HD that spoils black-level and contrast. TWC's Pioneer HD converter solves that, I understand, but I'm awaiting the upcoming SA8000HD (HD digital-video-recorder converter) from TWC, which better not have imaging fogging. (Some NYC areas already have access to a new RCN HD DVR/converter, as detailed at RCN.com.) My RCN basic service, needed for the HD tier, appears to be analog based rather than TWC's nearly all digital sourcing. With exceptions, I've found TWC's digital SD channels are better than its own or RCN's analog.

Haven't gotten into broadband speed; RCN has always claimed its got the best, although TWC started promoting a 50% boost in its speed a few months back. TWC has always been fast enough for me.

TWC is now claiming (see TWCNYC thread) that it has run out of bandwidth for new HD channels, and IMO, even though TWC has a good lineup, they've been fairly slow at adding new HDs compared to smaller systems around the country. Don't plan on keeping RCN indefinitely, just until any HD advantage of one over the other becomes clear. BTW, excluding the SA3100HD 'fog' problem, HD quality between the two seems similar. However, TWC is employing rate-shaping technology to help conserve bandwidth, as outlined in this article . Suspect you'd have to A-B with/without rate shaping, on a large screen, to see if image quality differences exist. I've done that several times comparing OTA CBS with TWC CBS, but the 2000HD/3100HD imaging fogging problem spoils the comparison. -- John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Service alert.

Today RCN NYC- Manhattan added CBS HD to the lineup.

My building has a choice of TWC or RCN and went with RCN due to ESPN HD. Now add CBS and I'm a happy camper. SUPER happy...lol.

I already have the Motorola 6408 DVR STB. A great toy.

Sources tell me DVI will be activated Feb.1 or thereabouts.

So far I think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickpiteo
The RCN program guide is the worst. They also lose HD channels every now and then. Like They dispear and come back on. When you Call a service they have no idea. I am dumping them for DTV.
The -TV- guide is lacking and quite limited in immediate future programming.

I was told that the guide will be expanded sometime soon. I believe Motorola and the TV Guide are married. Until RCN breaks away from the Moto STB its TV Guide that holds all the cards.

RCN has HD Net and HDNet Movies. Simultaneously both do drop out for a period of time. I have no idea why but I've never asked. I have never lost any other HD channels.

Lastly I believe when you call any tech support concerning HD no one has a clue. I get this from reading the boards. I think HD problems are currently a learning on the job experience.

:)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have also lost ESPN-HD a couple of times also. You cal and it is like 50 questions. Yes the guide is married to the box, but I do not see them getting away from it any time soon. They move very slow. I use both a DirecTiVo and the RCN and I could just not get used to bad guide on the RCN. So with the $99.00 HD deal from DTV I am saying good buy to RCN. Oh by the way the RCN moto box is just soo slow and you got to point the remote right at it to work. The guy from RCN who sold the system to was gone like a bad used car salesmen. Never to be heard from again. The initial installation was a nightmare...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickpiteo
Yes the guide is married to the box
Actually, it is possible for a Motorola box to replace the TV Guide with another program guide.

In the Hudson Valley, former TCI customers had the DCT-1000 box with TV Guide. But when the system was acquired by Time Warner, they replaced the guide with a special version of the Pioneer Passport software modified for the Motorola.

So the Motorola box can actually divorce the TV Guide.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mitch191
by DTV .. do u mean TWC ?
No DirecTV. I just got the new DirecTV HD box. I installed it myself. I hooked up a indoor a silver Zenith antenna and now I get all the local channels in HD plus the HD tier ones. So goodbye RCN..

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeNY718
Actually, it is possible for a Motorola box to replace the TV Guide with another program guide.

In the Hudson Valley, former TCI customers had the DCT-1000 box with TV Guide. But when the system was acquired by Time Warner, they replaced the guide with a special version of the Pioneer Passport software modified for the Motorola.

So the Motorola box can actually divorce the TV Guide.
This RCN guide has to be seen to be believed.. truly from the dark ages of cable TV...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do it! I left TWC long ago because of their bad service. Their near monopoly in NYC does little to keep them up on service. I've had no problems with the HD channels on RCN, but it took them a while to get CBS on line. Broadband internet access is off the chart, I assume because so few people have it. When I do a throughput test, I get 3029kbps! My neighbor gets 695 with DSL. Apples and oranges, I know, but damn! Get the package with phone service too and you can shove off that other big monopoly, Verizon.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yeah I hear that. Is ESPN-HD really worth it? I went on espn.com... and it seems like they only play a Hi-Def game once every two days or so. Is that really the case? What does this channel show during the other times?

One game every few days is kinda weak if you ask me though.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DjPiLL
Yeah I hear that. Is ESPN-HD really worth it? I went on espn.com... and it seems like they only play a Hi-Def game once every two days or so. Is that really the case? What does this channel show during the other times?

One game every few days is kinda weak if you ask me though.
Yes RCN has really great Internet speed, BUT you will and i have lose HD channels for no reason. Sometimes it lasted for 2 days. You call the CSR's are clueless... And like I said their guide is truly the worst..

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
RCN has HD Net and HDNet Movies. Simultaneously both do drop out for a period of time. I have no idea why but I've never asked. I have never lost any other HD channels.
Lost the HDNets for an extended period a while back and called RCN's tech support. They 'refreshed' my converter and restored the channels. I'd mistakenly assumed it was an HDNet problem. -- John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.