AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that you can tweak the output of the IR Blaster to send faster or slower signals and perhaps other factors as well.

My 4508 has started recording channel 24 when I program 240 to 249. If I fool with the placement of the blaster it corrects the problem for a while and then it starts changing to 24 again. I am using Dish Network's model 3800 Echostar receiver.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
You can hit "zones" on the IR code set screen and change those. However I would improve the blaster placement first. I have the 3900 which I believe is the same thing. I put the blaster tail behind (inside) the plastic bezel covering the power button and it's aimed perfectly.

On the 2xxx, 3xxx I did fine tune those settings, slowed it down, to make it 100% reliable.

When I got the Replay 4000 I just plugged it in and went, no fine tuning. 100% reliable (don't believe it's ever missed a channel change) using default settings. So I'd work on the placement and possibly "fort" it if there's stray IR in that area.

The 4xxx and 5xxx units work perfectly with the 3900/4900 receivers using the default IR fine tuning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KenL,

Thanks for the suggestion. I removed the cover and put the blaster inside but I still get the same result. I tested channels 243 (CBS)and 241 (NBC) several time and got 23 and 21 respectively. I think I have to slow down the signal but do not know how to do this. The only zones code I know is 243 zones which gets me to the screen which allows me to force a net connect.

How do I get to the screen with the IR code set? Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
While you have the bezel off you want to center it directly over the rectangular IR receptor, right next to the power led. On mine that lines up above the g on MPEG 2 printed on the front of the clear plastic. Be sure you are aiming the tail back onto that, you will need to reverse the adhesive so it's aiming back wards.

Next go to:

Menu-->setup-->Network and Input Settings-->Change In 2-->Sat Box-->DISH

Go all the way to the screen where it asks to test blaster codes and then push the "Zones" button. The "IR fine tuning" screen should pop up and you can mess with the delays.

Search to forum here to find some examples of settings that have worked for others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
take a short audio cable, which has a minidin connector (byteblaster has it) on one side and anything (RCA for example) on another side. Cut this other side connector. Open IR blaster and extract an IR transmitter (LED) from there. Attach it (solder) on the audio cable and you'll have a better IR blaster. I investigated mine with a scope and found that the signal near LED is quite noisy with some oscillation (cheap long cable at fault).

by the way, I have a DISH 301 (echostar child)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to setup a new RTV 5040 system with my digital cable service set top box and having trouble with the IR blaster.

My service is from Urban Cableworks of Philadelphia (a division of Time Warner cable) and the cable box is a Motorola DCT2224. When changing channels the IR blaster appears to emit the signal 3 times for each digit. For example, if I change the channel to 027, the cable box displays 000 222 777, and eventually tries to tune to channel 777 and fails.

Any ideas on how to correct his problem? The IR code I'm using is 4476, which is the code automatically selected by the setup program.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KenL:

Thanks for your response. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Actually, last night I followed your suggestion about placing the blaster tail behind the plastic bezel. I then tested switching the 240 - 249 channels and most of the time the change failed. I followed your directions and found the "IR fine tuning" screen. By then it was late and this looked too important to mess with without some sleep so I decided to wait until today.

You know what happens with the electronic gremlins. Today, without touching anything every time I tested a channel change it worked perfectly. I am waiting to see what it does tonight with The West Wing. In any event, I now know what to do when it happens again as I am sure it will.

This is the sort of information that should be in the FAQ's as the one problem I have with RTV is the limited amount of information in the manual.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smacari

My service is from Urban Cableworks of Philadelphia (a division of Time Warner cable) and the cable box is a Motorola DCT2224. When changing channels the IR blaster appears to emit the signal 3 times for each digit. For example, if I change the channel to 027, the cable box displays 000 222 777, and eventually tries to tune to channel 777 and fails.
i have comcast in the villanova area ( gee think they use the same distrubitor? ) and use the same box ... i have also had a slew of problems with mine and still do ... currently i have it set up as

yes

with OK results .. i'm still searching for a decent setup ... let me know if you figure anything out.

·
Registered
567 Posts
smacari -

I have found code 0476 to work better on the 2 different cable boxes I have used.

Also, when you're tweaking the IR blaster settings (see above on how to get to that screen), make sure that you're sending "enter" and minimum digits to send is set to "3". That setup fixed the problem for me when I had the same symptoms of multiple digits.

·
Registered
567 Posts
lucindrea - those delays sound high...I have a Gen. Inst. box, and am using delays in the 50-200 range with no problem...Not sure if you've tried lower delays ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
i was droping digits left and right with lower values .. i started at about 300 and worked my way up .. i just have a crappy box .. but i'm also starting to wonder on the amount of noise the blaster may be picking up ( cable box is behind my desk next to about 4 network boxes , 2 computers and a few other misc. pices of eqpt. ) ... i may do some surgery on the irblaster and use a sheilded cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had great success in fine tuning my IR settings to get fewer misses. The problem is that occasionally my box seems to reset to the default IR settings, creating problems all over again (until I tweak it again).

This seem to occur:

a) when my power goes out

b) occasionally during my nightly updates

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? Is there a way to change the default settings forever?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Initially I had problems getting the IR blaster to work with a Hughes Silver HIRD-E1 DirectTV Receiver. I put both IR blaster pips side-by-side over the IR Window and now it works reliably. I suspect that user IGORFT got it right when stating that noise is the problem, but I need the long cable in my present setup.

P.S. I use the default settings for the Receiver....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.