AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not just talking connection speed here...

Part of the reason I got the Oppo BDP-93 was for the video adjustments available on it. Oppo has three picture modes that you can customize and relatively easily toggle between. (Just wish the Oppo would remember adjustments by source) Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about how the Netflix video stream is compressed and how to enhance it. If other people know more about how Netflix compresses their video and how to enhance it I'd love to hear it. Also if someone knows more about the Oppo adjustments beyond what the manual states that would be cool too.

I've started out conservatively playing around with one or two points of sharpness, noise reduction, color enhancement, and contrast enhancement. Right now for Netflix streaming I have the following settings:

Sharpness +1

Noise Reduction +2

Color Enhancement +1

Contrast Enhancement +1

According to Oppo's manual, sharpness adds low level detail enhancement which at +1 is pretty subtle.

Noise Reduction at +2 reduces mosquito noise and block noise and adds Motion Adaptive Video Noise reduction to even out film grain.

Color Enhancement at +1 appears to increase color saturation a bit (Oppo doesn't supply much detail about how).

Contrast Enhancement adds a bit more "pop" to the image quality (again no explanation on how).

All together the image quality is more detailed, richer, smoother and more contrasty than the straight Netflix stream. In general, I like the result and generally keep it on when watching Netflix. I've also tried it with up scaling DVD content and like the results too. One thing I have noticed is these setting seem to accentuate the color banding or posterization of subtle hue shifts. Watching 13 Assasins last night scenes with a lot of fog or smoke started to look noticeably blotchy. I assume this is probably due to the increased Color and Contrast enhancement. If I wasn't so caught up in the film I probably would have stopped to turn those adjustments off to see what happens.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
Keeping in mind that you're trying to make the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear....

I'd advise not using more that +/- 1 or 2 on any adjustment.

You're not making anything "more detailed", just suppressing the noise and compression artifacts. You'll actually see less detail, just smoother with EE.

The Qdeo processor is already working on the NF image even with all settings at 0, as long as you are using HDMI-1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20794781

Keeping in mind that you're trying to make the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear....

I'd advise not using more that +/- 1 or 2 on any adjustment.

You're not making anything "more detailed", just suppressing the noise and compression artifacts. You'll actually see less detail, just smoother with EE.

The Qdeo processor is already working on the NF image even with all settings at 0, as long as you are using HDMI-1.

Yeah I understand you can't create something that wasn't there in the first place. For that reason I turn off all the adjustments when I'm watching BluRay.

I wasn't aware that the Qdeo was doing anything more than upres to 1080p on its own. What else is it doing?

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie1kslowbie /forum/post/20795768

I wasn't aware that the Qdeo was doing anything more than upres to 1080p on its own. What else is it doing?

It's doing all the things it does, the user adjustments are +/- adjustments on the various parameters that are in use. Noise reduction is one of the main features of the Qdeo. So when you change that setting, you're moving away from the default effect. Page 58 of the current manual details the settings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... are you sure? I'm looking at the manual and on page 57 it says "the default is level 0, which turns off noise reduction."

Seems to me its not doing anything (other than upres perhaps) if you leave it on the default value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts