AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got inspired by the Zaph driver, so, I decided the bake-off was next.

Ordered the; SB 29RDC, Seas 27TBFC, Vifa XT25TG30, Vifa D26NC-55 and the expected higher priced ringer, Peerless, with a pair of the 5 inch Zaph's.

I will be using the DCX for testing to determine the best of the lot (IMHO) before then getting a second one of the winner and embarking on a passive design.

The goal is a mid priced satellite for my guest room or cheap enough to give away. By making separate boxes for the woofers, I can play with stacking around for MT, MMT, MTM arrangements. Postings to come as it works out. It will take a while.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like a cool project. I'll be looking forward to your results.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
is there a reason you didnt order the SB26?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/16983841

there is an inherent problem with using compact speakers as "tops" to build a large 3-way.

it has to do with the fact that midbass is not a midrange.

In the famous words of Dr. Watson, " No S#!7 Sherlock"

Actually, that is why I picked up a pair of the Zaph spec 5"s. On paper at least they would be a reasonable low-power-full-enough mid-bass. They should be reasonable up to 2.2K or so. The Dayton RS150's I had to bring down to 1800 3rd order to keep them from ringing. Too low for a tweeter. This is not to come up with a super design, it is to find out if a dome I can afford is good enough to pass my wife's super sensitive hearing test. So, 4 "popular" mid price domes and one bottom of good. I tried to get a ScanSpeak off e-bay but I am too cheap. That will be the next test if the HDS really is that much better than the rest of the class and is not "good enough"

So while the sanding sealer is drying on my 150rs re-box, I can fire up the WT2 and see how close the specs are on the Zaph's.

No pictures. I don't have one of those picture posting WEB sites set up. I am old you know. I make phone calls on my phone and use a 35mm camera. (and to think I make a living as a computer systems engineer!)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Broke in and tested the Zaph drivers. These seem to have promise. Specs are not too far off published (except Le). They do ring like a bell at 9K so they won't cut it as a full range. But for a mid or small room mtm they should reach most tweeters just fine. (actually, good possibility for a mmtmm). Looks like a good choice for my tweeter testing. So far I like them better than the Dayton RS. Maybe the first metal cone I actually like.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
tvrgeek, your work is much appreciated!

for every person who posts gratitude, there are (at least) a hundred lurkers that share sentiments.

we look forward to seeing your work!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got going. I thought I included a ringer to show a difference. Should have included a turkey too. These 5 drivers are to start with, all very good. Working on repeatable tests, so numbers are not forth-coming, but I can say I am seeing the same trends as reported elsewhere. HDS is ruler flat. Seas as well except the rising above 15K. Distortion at 1K is more varied, ( the XT25 and SB falling short) but above 2K, this is an excellent group. The SB is definably worthy of this group.

I am testing with a 30uF in series. This first crude test was with a drive of .5V and about a foot to the mic.

Need to set up my idea for a quiet bench as this was just about overloading my preamp but when I back off, the noise of suburbia becomes a problem. My idea is something like a tube of compressed FG (pipe insulation) several layers thick. About 1M long. Of course, this is just for direct HD tests, useless for response off axis. Maybe.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest /forum/post/16983269

Pictures, man!

We need pictures!

I mean, please.

Seconded!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pictures. Yea, I have to get around to one of those sites where I can post some.

Actually with FIOS I am susposed to have some space. Never looked into it. ( I am not a gen X or Y, so I feel no compulsion to document my every move)

Just noticed a note on a SEAS page. They measure at one-half meter on a .6 by .8 board in a chamber at 1 Watt. Might try that (outside instead of a chamber) and compare it to my absorption tube idea. Guess I'll hit HD on the way home from work and see if I can find what I have in mind. Better pick up come ear muffs too. 1 watt is LOUD. The other idea I had for a baffle was a star burst shape about 4 feet across. The idea is to distribute all the baffle step evenly. It should make a prettier chart, even if it does not tell us any thing more.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lined them all up. Started looking at pulse response, as that is what part of SE I am playing with. Well, they SOUND different. Nothing to correlate, but it is interesting that a single 3000 Hz pulse would have enough artifacts to be audibly a different "click". They all behave differently to the amount of overshoot and ringing.

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$8/month. I'm too cheap. I know there are free ones out there somewhere. Just have to get around to it. Not as much fun as playing with the hardware! Heck, by not paying that, I just bought two of Kevin's 6.5's. Makes me happy

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/17143171

$8/month. I'm too cheap. I know there are free ones out there somewhere. Just have to get around to it. Not as much fun as playing with the hardware! Heck, by not paying that, I just bought two of Kevin's 6.5's. Makes me happy

Go here .

Click browse.

Select the picture.

Click "open".

Click the large green upload button.

It will take a second and upload your file, then the screen will change. You'll see 4 sets of URLs formatted differently in the center of the screen. The second one down will look something similar to this.

[IMG} http://i28.tinypic.com/29xi61x.gif{/IMG ]

Copy that one and paste it into your post.

Viola!

You just won 1 free internet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts