AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listening to some classical this morning my source (Squeezebox v3) produced a loud burst of white noise several times the volume of the music being played. It was less than a second long, but it was a high frequency and I'm concerned it might have caused damage. These are PSB Synchrony One towers.

With a casual listen, everything seems to sound fine, but when I turn up the volume on my preamp (with all sources off!) loud enough to hear some audible noise with my ear right next to the tweeter (about the 12 o'clock position on the NAD C162 -- connected to NAD C272), I find that they sound a bit different. One of them just sounds like the soft white noise you can hear if you, for example, cup your hand over your ear -- this seems normal. The other one has a vague "ringing" sound on top of that noise -- it's pretty subtle, but perceptible. I'm concerned it's affecting the balance of the high-end response.

I didn't do a similar comparison before, so I'm not really sure if anything has changed. These are still very new speakers (maybe 30 hours of play time so far?). This could also be how they came from the factory, in which case, would it be considered a defect? How do you tell if a tweeter has been damaged?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have no idea, but that really sucks. I know others will much better help you, but perhaps you can swap the wires/channels to make 100% sure its not the electronics? NAD makes great amps, but sometimes their other stuff is not as reliable...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nevermind... Looks like I posted a bit too hastily.

I swapped the speakers and the same "ring" seems to be coming from the right. Must be an issue with the electronics (thankfully, they are demos that I'll be returning). I feel MUCH better!

In any case, what might cause that, though?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Not sure, but glad to hear its not the speakers! Its probably something in the preamp section is my guess...

I had a refurbed NAD pre that I traded in towards speakers with my dealer. 2-ch would work perfectly fine, but if I matrixed an analog input, the right front and right rear(s) would basically go out, and perhaps hiss a bit. Of course I let him know as soon as I found out, but fortunately I never had any need to matrix any analog sources. Digital was no problem.

I still have the NAD amp. Now that works just fine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts