Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHEW!

I just averted a major catastrophe.

I sat down in my listening position, and i'll be dammed if my imaging pulled hard to the left. I went through all the motions of checking the wiring, checking the lining up of my speakers, my chair, made sure my ears weren't plugged, etc. I pull off the speaker grille of my dynaudios, and am HORRIFIED to discover someone bumped it through the grille and put a big inverse dimple in my tweeter. :(

****!!! These are very expensive speakers for a student like me! Anyway, I popped it back out praying hard that it would return to normal, and it did! And my imaging and everything is back to normal. Whew!

I was crapping my pants for a minute too, because there's no way I'd be able to recoup the costs from the cleaning people.

there's still one mini dimple about the size of a dimple on a golf ball, but i don't think there's a way for me to get that one out of the fabric. doesn't seem to be affecting performance at all though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It has happened to me too!

A one time friend was visiting me and I was showing off my then ADS 1080 speakers. Anyways, I came back from the kitchen with a couple of drinks and noticed immediately that one of the tweeters had been pushed in.

I was so angry that I told him to leave immediately! What a loser.

What thrill do people get from pushing tweeters and woofer caps in?

Don't you ever notice that store display speakers at lower end retail stores usually have the tweeter caps pushed in?

Anyways I managed to 'pull' the dent out by using scotch tape. (sticky part touching the dome)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I fixed mine by putting my mouth over it, and sucking it out. I wish I would have thought about tape...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BenjaminKing
I fixed mine by putting my mouth over it, and sucking it out. I wish I would have thought about tape...
Hmm, I hope the neighbors didnt see that, lol. Next time, try using a vacuum cleaner. Just slowly bring the hose closer to the dimple and voila! Works very well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidM5
It has happened to me too!

A one time friend was visiting me and I was showing off my then ADS 1080 speakers. Anyways, I came back from the kitchen with a couple of drinks and noticed immediately that one of the tweeters had been pushed in.

I was so angry that I told him to leave immediately! What a loser.

I would have had a hard time restraining myself from making his nose match the tweeter! What an 'effin A-hole!

Speakers are one thing you never want to buy as a "store demo," thoughtless morons always push in the domes.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yosh70
Hmm, I hope the neighbors didnt see that, lol. Next time, try using a vacuum cleaner. Just slowly bring the hose closer to the dimple and voila! Works very well.
OMG.

My Hoover would rip that tweeter right outta the speaker. Bad idea. Bad bad idea.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AcuraCL
OMG.

My Hoover would rip that tweeter right outta the speaker. Bad idea. Bad bad idea.
LMAO, if you ripped the tweeter out just by bring a vacuum close to it, those speakers werent very well made in the 1st place....when I worked at a local a/v store awhile back, a lot of the Paradigm Monitors had the caps pushed in.

Take a wild guess on how we repaired most of them....go on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
LMAO, if you ripped the tweeter out just by bring a vacuum close to it, those speakers werent very well made in the 1st place....when I worked at a local a/v store awhile back, a lot of the Paradigm Monitors had the caps pushed in.

:p :p

·
Banned
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by collin
are we talking soft-dome or metal dome? i can see these techniques working for soft but not for metal. what would you do for metal domes?
Nothing you can do with metal as it will still remain crinkled. You have to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Yeah tell me about it.

I've got a brand new coax tweeter / mid for my Thiel MCS1 sitting waiting to be installed after one of my kids dented the tweeter dome.

I tried everything to pop it back out including the vacuum cleaner, and a tooth pick (end on) super glued to the centre of the dent, but nothing worked.

I never did find out which little darling was the culprit. :mad:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah metal dome tweeters need to be replaced as they just can't be popped back into place like silk domes.

Unfortunately metal dome tweeters are also such finger magnets :(

Luckily the mfg. of my speakers "Dahlquist", are located literally 5 minutes away from my home.

·
Registered
180 Posts
hahaha great thread!

Quote:
Don't you ever notice that store display speakers at lower end retail stores usually have the tweeter caps pushed in?
i got 'let go' from my first job in audio because i caught a juvenile in the act of pushing in a tweeter (was a rubbish mini hifi, but still, it's the principle), and literally threw him out of the store! now if only i could catch the rest of the little cunts in the act the world would be a better place.

good thing your imaging is back to normal!

p.s. re: the vacuum cleaner trick - risky!!!!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yosh70

You know what? I am very confident that my Dyn. Contours are quite well made, but you don't seem to have any idea how much suction and how much force psi that hose can exert.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.