AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tweeter at ear level may not be optimal in my room because of of some obstructions the midbass drivers would reflect off. Currently, my Mission 2 ways sit at 34", however, with their inverted driver placement, this buries the tweeters in no man's land.

I am looking at some Wharfedale Evos. The Evo 30 sits about 35", but the tweeter sits at the top of the baffle. This still raises concerns about the midbass drivers reflecting off furniture in my room. The other option, and the one I've been leaning toward, is the Evo 40, which sits at 42". This places the tweeters 5-7" above seated ear level, but all drivers clear any room obstructions.

So chime in and tell me why having the tweeters higher than ear level is bad, or why having them slightly higher than ear level is ok and I should just stop worrying.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'd recommend not worrying unless your detect sonic impurities, for example. Acoustically, frequencies become more directional as they increase. Thus, the placement of a subwoofer is less critical in terms of hearing its output than a midrange that is less critical than a tweeter. The bottom line for me would be, 'do I enjoy the sound?'. If your tweeters are THAT directional maybe you do need another model/brand.

YMMV

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try to get the tweeters within a 15 degree arc of your listening position, mids within 30 degrees and midbass within 60 degrees. This allowance should let you put the tweeters a few inches above seated position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.