·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith6281
any opinion on this?

$350 for 5 yrs for samsung hln617

worth it?
Tweeter seems to offer about the cheapest warranty, compared to Best Buy, Circuit City, and Ultimate Electronics, at least if your TV is under $4K. You can get them cheaper through third parties over the Internet, though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Couple of quick points on warranties:

1) tweeter extends the first year of mfr warranty - they cover some little things like power fluctuation, etc - they will be very happy to provide you with what the provide for you

2) if you go w/other warranties company like warrantech - you have to deal with 2 parites - the warranty company and an authorized repair center in your area, which may or may not be a headache.

3) tweeter techs also come out once a year and service your set - whatever that means.

I am sure that there are a # of dealers that sell warrantech.com, one of them is tvauthority and they sell ext 4 year for $250. I would ask tweeter to match that price and be done with it !!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was at Sears checking on the availabity of a 43" DLP set, which the salesperson said would be for sale there in a couple of weeks, and I asked a few questions about their warranty. I really do think he was wrong, but he said that the warranty would cover any necessary calibrating, do you think I could get away with an ISF calibration being covered through any warranty/

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlii
I was at Sears checking on the availabity of a 43" DLP set, which the salesperson said would be for sale there in a couple of weeks, and I asked a few questions about their warranty. I really do think he was wrong, but he said that the warranty would cover any necessary calibrating, do you think I could get away with an ISF calibration being covered through any warranty/
Sears guy is calling playing with the remote as calibrating. Sears purchases their sets with no manufacturer's warranty, and so you may want to also inquire about what warranty comes with it before service contract. I asked 4 years ago on my prior Hitachi when their normal warranty was 1 year from Hitachi and with Sears it was 90 days if you didn't buy it. I thought it was very unethical that they don't volunteer that buying a brand from them is different than from anywhere else openly.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith6281
any opinion on this?

$350 for 5 yrs for samsung hln617

worth it?
Tweeter is cheap, and other than Circuit city and their performance based service which seems the best, they seem to be the most value for the least. Tweeter does their based on dollar amount, not size like most. This makes it possible for 2 people to buy the same set and one pay 599 while the other pays 350, if they are on both sides of that 4,000 mark. I shop all CRT all RPTV's but I feel that just for the 4 cleanings it is worth about 75 a pop, and so the piece of mind is certainly worth the 50 bucks. Tweeter will also do manual calibration when needed, and that was very time consuming on the old Mitusbishi's. Probably won't break but at CC the same period of time would be 200 more.

Good question.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:
Sears purchases their sets with no manufacturer's warranty, and so you may want to also inquire about what warranty comes with it before service contract.
YOU ARE PURELY FULL OF CRAP

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Coyotes
YOU ARE PURELY FULL OF CRAP
Actually... Sears does exhange the MFG warranty for a better price on the product from the MFG. Sears then assumes responsibility for the service and repairs of the set for the exact same coverage and duration as the MFG would have been.

Basically you are covered just the same... Just Sears pays the bill and not the MFG.

Since Sears has a very large nation wide service division, the costs for them to do this is smaller than the amount of money they save by relenquishing the MFG from warranty claims and repair bills.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Mike,

That may be, however, anyone who purchased a Hitachi television from an authorized reseller (and Sears is an authorized reseller) receives a manufacturer's warranty per Federal Trade Commission guidelines.

If someone purchased a set here in the Phoenix area, and moved to Yuma, where there is no Sears store, they would be protected under the original manufacturer's warranty. Any extended warranty would not apply.

It seems that what you are saying is the purchaser, if he buys from Sears and purchases an extended warranty, is protected during the original warranty period by Sears, and Hitachi is out of the loop.

People buy Sony from COSTCO, who is not an authorized reseller, but a reseller nonetheless. However, Sony Factory Service covers warranty work.

A servicing dealer is not obligated, but Sony is on the hook to cover the warranty.

Maybe I am full of crap, but if I bought a Hitachi from Sears, and took it to a Hitachi warranty center (not a servicing dealer, but a warranty station), the Feds obligate Hitachi to honor the warranty.

Straighten me out, please!

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I would assume that if for some reason Sears could not foot the repair bill or service work, Hitachi would step up and cover it. This only seems logical to me.

Sears does exchange the cost of service for a better price on the products at wholesale from the MFG though...

I would guess it's an agreement that Sears will fix it, and not bill Hitachi for labor, but only parts or somthing....

I have no clue how it really works... but I have heard this many times before. My girlfreinds dad used to be a store MGR at Sears... I'll ask him how it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.