AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you guys ever get the chance...stop by at the new Tweeter in Downers Grove, IL. It is one of the first true "tweeter" stores in the Chicago area!! It would be great to meet some of the people on this forum. Ask for me...Jesus!

If you guys ever have any suggestions please feel free to e-mail me. I would like nothing more than to promote HDTV in the best possible way! I am in the "front lines" any suggestions?

Jesus J.

HDTV 4 All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Just 1 suggestion: aim your satellite dish at Directv 119(channel 199), hook up all your HDTVs to this signal and keep them on all day long. This station (HDNet) will have your HD displays flying off the shelf!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are deninetely on top of that!! Great tip though. Any other suggestions out there? I want to make sure that HDTV is being promoted to the fullest!

Jesus J

·
Registered
155 Posts
I purchased the above from Tweeters in Plano, TX. The Toshiba was delivered Saturday and have spent Sat & Sun learning the set up and connection idiosyncrasies of these units. My DVD player (RP56) and STB both have component out and the TV has two sets of component in. The delivery people hooked up the svideo connections, verified that a picture was viewable and left.

I am fairly knowledgeable on set up/correct connections and it has been a bear (things still need to be done less awkwardly) but I can view HD, SD and 480P in the correct aspect ratios.

My suggestion to improve the experience for new entrants to the HD world would be that knowledgeable people deliver and SETUP the system (non ISF) to work at its maximum capabilities. The "wam bam thank you mam" experience will surely leave a newbie with a system unable to be enjoyed with the best picture nor the ease of use and not the best experience. I can see this situation with an internet purchase, however with the price paid from a local dealer for this equipment, I find this lack of support completely inexcusable.

I would not recommend Tweeters to the uninitiated Home Theater purchaser if this is standard practice!

Neil

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same experience with Conn's. They did a minimum setup and saw that it worked and were gone. I knew though, that they can't spend a lot of time hooking up components and there are several ways to do a lot of things and ultimately we have to decide how to do things according to our preferences.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Jesus,

hi, I live about two miles from where your store is to open. Is there a date on when it will be open? I am one of your "Avid" members. I have made quite a few purchases from Tweeter in the last year. I look forward to meeting you and hopefully I can provide you with some leads. One suggestion, please do not set up the store with the same style as the old United Audio stores. It was very cluttered. Thanks. See you soon.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Jesús,

Please post the address, as I will definitely be stopping by, probably rather frequently.

My primary suggestion would be to echo what someone has already posted here (I'm a bit rushed at the moment so I don't have time to give appropriate credit):

Set up a home theater PC with a digital tuner card and record Jay Leno one night. Also record the show on a VCR. Right by the entrance to the store, display an HDTV with the HTPC show looping, and a sign on the top that says "Over-the-air HDTV broadcast". Next to it have a 32-inch analog tv with the VCR playing that says "Your TV".

Also have printouts of which channels are on the air in digital and which aren't. I can help with that if you need it, as I have much of that information.

Good luck and I'll stop in and ask for you once you open.

Dan

·
Registered
169 Posts
Definitely show some HDTV stuff. The Tweeter @ Harvard Square in Cambridge, MA was showing some recorded HD CBS programming when I last stopped by. They didn't have a side-by-side comparison with the same thing in SD, but it's definitely a good idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright!! Now this is what I was expecting! Well, we will probably Grand Open this coming Saturday or Monday...not sure yet. I will post all of this information tomorrow including the store address. Tomorrow is my first day at the new store to set it up. I will have all of the information i need tomorrow. It is across the street from BB at 75th and Lemont...exact address will be posted tomorrow.

As for the gentleman with the delivery and set up concerns...I used to be a salesmanager for Best Buy and I can tell you from first hand experience that what you experienced is head and shoulders above anything Best Buy can give you. A solution to your problem...pay a little more and we will send out our "in-Home Install" team and they have the knowledge that you are looking for. Our regular delivery team is just that...."delivery".

I am really excited about the new store and I'm looking forward to seeing you there! All of the tips will be taken into consideration and I appreciate them all. Please feel free to give many more!

Jesus J.

:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nerbe,

The delivery guys were hired for brawn not brains. Tweeter has an In-Home services crew to do hook-ups for you. The delivery team only has the time to deliver the TV, hook-up what existing sources you have, and make sure the TV works. They have a heck of alot of TV deliveries to make. Talk to your salesperson if you want In-Home to come out or if he is cool enough he will come out and do it for you. If my wife lets me, I go out to my customer's houses and do it if they don't know how. I usually show this to my customers before they leave the store though, but sometimes you get that customer that plugs a receiver into itself and complains it is dead.

j

·
Registered
155 Posts
The first I heard about the existence of an install team is when I went back yesterday for some cables. Would have been nice if I was told about it prior to the sale. Hope you guys explain this option at your new store.

Neil

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess
Jesús,

Please post the address, as I will definitely be stopping by, probably rather frequently.

My primary suggestion would be to echo what someone has already posted here (I'm a bit rushed at the moment so I don't have time to give appropriate credit):

Set up a home theater PC with a digital tuner card and record Jay Leno one night. Also record the show on a VCR. Right by the entrance to the store, display an HDTV with the HTPC show looping, and a sign on the top that says "Over-the-air HDTV broadcast". Next to it have a 32-inch analog tv with the VCR playing that says "Your TV".

Also have printouts of which channels are on the air in digital and which aren't. I can help with that if you need it, as I have much of that information.

Good luck and I'll stop in and ask for you once you open.

Dan
Excellent idea Dan!

Jesus,

the "El Famous Burrito" just a few hundred feet away from your store has the best Mexican food around. Be sure to check it out. Another suggestion is to actually calibrate the sets you have on the floor. I will be happy to come by and show you how to do this. This way people can actually see what a set can really do and the better picture quality will also help you sell some sets. I myself would be willing to offer up some testimonials to customers who are undecided. Let me know.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nerbe,

Well we are supposed to tell everyone upfront. We will do better. As for having the TVs calibrated... We try!! Yet customers LOVE to touch tvs and make look good to their eyes. Everybody feels they are "ISF" certified. You won't believe how upset my salesmen get when, after using Video Essentials, someone screws it up.

Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys...sorry for the delay! Now for my news. Tomorrow is the big opening day for our Tweeter in Downers Grove on 75th and Lemont Rd. across the street from BB!!

Please feel free to stop by and support the promotion of HDTV with some tips or ideas! Tell all your buddies about it too! The more penetration the market gets for HDTV the more programming we are going to see!! MAKE THIS THE LAST YEAR THE WORLD SERIES IS NOT IN HDTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see as many of you as possible!!

Jesus J.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Today 11-4-01, I had the pleasure of meeting Jesus at the new Tweeter store in Downers Grove. I was pleasantly surprised with the store setup in that it was not cluttered. The layout is customer friendly. Everything is displayed well. There is plenty of room to move around unlike the converted United Audio stores. This setup might just keep me away from the other Tweeter stores.

Jesus is a well educated salesmen. He seems trustworthy and knows what he is talking about. One key thing about Jesus is he listened to what I had to say, something all salesmen should do. If anyone in the Chicagoland area is looking to purchase some new equipment, Jesus is the guy to go to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dan,

As soon as we get the Mitsubishi DVHS VCR...I'll do just that! I will record the leno show and show it on the mits and/or sony XBR2! The Tonight show looks spectacular and that would be an awesome demo!

Kipp,

Thanks for the kind words! It was nice to meet someone with as much knowledge as yourself.

I look forward to meeting other people from this forum. Stop by to look at the new layout and see what you like and tell me what you would do different! I'm sure you will enjoy your visit!

Jesus J.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Jesus,

do you think that members in the Chicagoland area could meet up at your store as a small get together? It would be a great place for us to meet each other. The store is just minutes off of I55 and 355. It is a good central location that would not be too far for most members to go to. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wish showrooms in the Bay Area follow your lead. My suggestions:

1. On Saturday afternoons, show college football HD side by side with regular NTSC. This is what Sears promised to do but I have not seen one yet.

2. Put HDnet HD on Side by side with a regular NTSC side by side, continuously.

3. All primetime CBS or ABC HD shows, put them on side by side with regular showings.

Notice the emphasis on side by side comparison, your HD sets should fly out of your showroom. It's so obvious but nobody seems to be doing it. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.