AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum. I hope this isn't too generic for this particular forum. Please let me know if I'm in the wrong forum, and I'll post where most appropriate.

Head unit: JVC KD-R740BT

Amp: Kenwood Kac-9105D 1800-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier

Speakers: Twin Alpine SWR-12D4, Dual 4-ohm Voice Coils

Box: Ported

The Alpine directions had me install a jumper on each speaker. This converted each to 8 ohms. I have each speaker wired to individual connector terminals on the box, so each speaker is wired to the amp separately.

Should I remove the jumper cables so the each speaker is 4 ohms, and still run individual speaker wires to the amp?

Should I wire the speakers together (changing ohms) and only run one speaker wire to the amp?

If I wire the speakers together, should I wire outside the box (it's ported so I'm not sure about running wires through the center walls)?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would not wire it in 8ohms, no much power from the amp that way.

Your Kenwood amp is 1 ohm stable so you can wire all positive terminals together to the positive terminal on the amp. Same goes for the negative leads

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rewired per your suggestion to 1ohm, then set the gain using a multimeter. Much better. Thank you.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstape  /t/1522791/twin-alpine-swr12d4-8-ohm/0_100#post_24490580

Rewired per your suggestion to 1ohm, then set the gain using a multimeter. Much better. Thank you.

You're welcome !

According to the Kenwood specs, your amp is 1-ohm stable.

This amp will deliver more power to the subs in 1-ohm, than 2, 4 or 8 ohms...

Because you are running this amp at max capacity, do make sure you're not overheating it and make sure your wires are of sufficient size, 1-ohm can melt things pretty quickly (don't ask how I know this
)

Just finished my 2x Dual 4-Ohm Pioneer TS-W3003D4 subs also, in a 1-ohm load to the amp.

Kenwood specs source: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/car_entertainment/amplifiers/kac-9105d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I am nervous. I bought a kit for the wiring. 4 gauge for battery and ground. 14 gauge for speakers. Is that enough?

I thought running at 8 ohm would be harder on the amp, cause it need to work harder to push through?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't even think it could handle 8-ohm, but see it this way, in 1-ohm your amp is pushing more Watts to the subs.

4ga for power is great, as is 14ga for your subs ;-)

Class-D amps don't get hot like Class-A/B, don't you worry...

Happy Thumpin' !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts