AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finances are here. Time to start ordering. PICS and VIDS to come! What is for sure: 2 Fi Audio IB3 18's, each in their own 128 cubic foot box (before displacement) with a 12" sonotube port 48" long ( to begin with, will cut down raising tuning over time) resulting in a 6.5Hz tune! Dual EP2500's or EP4000's.


I am building from the floor up... scratch. I need a solid 7.1 receiver capable of more than 110 watts per channel. I plan on building MT's or MMT's designed by Kevin with Exodus Anarchy's. IDK about using a HP filter yet.. but I may go as high as 15Hz with the tune...I'll start low and have myself some fun and learn all the way up to 15Hz.


I'd like some input on the receiver... THX Ultra Certified preffered.. but $500-$600ish seems a good price point. I would also like some input from you guys on a new PC with Blu Ray and whatever I'd need to run REW and connect it to a 40" LCD HDTV.


I'll also be building a van walled off with 4 IB3 18's.... ported and tuned to 15Hz most likely. See the Car Audio section for it's build log! Lots of bateries and amps going in there, and some Adire Audio Extremis 6.4's and CSS FR125S's! 10X's the power needed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
I am waiting impatiently ....hope it's not one of those build threads that goes on for 10 pages with no pics....just saying....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I go van shopping tomorrow, once I'm drivin it around I'm getting the new dig vid cam... and pics of everything from there... you guys are gonna get annoyed from TOO MANY pics.


anyway,

Got a new hard drive at Best Buy today, grabbed War of the Worlds while I was there... (BTW do I want to play it in DTS or Dolby Digital?) and looked at pro audio amps, PC's, monitors, flat panel TVs... and I saw a sony 7.1 770 watt strdn1000 with 4 hdmi 1080i upscaling 110rms x [email protected] r2d2.... any good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/18225396

I go van shopping tomorrow, once I'm drivin it around I'm getting the new dig vid cam... and pics of everything from there... you guys are gonna get annoyed from TOO MANY pics.


anyway,

Got a new hard drive at Best Buy today, grabbed War of the Worlds while I was there... (BTW do I want to play it in DTS or Dolby Digital?) and looked at pro audio amps, PC's, monitors, flat panel TVs... and I saw a sony 7.1 770 watt strdn1000 with 4 hdmi 1080i upscaling 110rms x [email protected] r2d2.... any good?

Make sure its white to fit in with the whole speaker thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
For the computer, check out our HTPC subforum. I built my HTPC over a year ago, and kind'a over built it, just because I didn't know. So it sucks a lot more power than I needed, but it works well for gaming.



For your reciever, you may want to not worry about a THX Ultra super crazy certification. Instead, get a good receiver with preamp outs and buy an Emotiva XPA5, then use the two rear surround receiver channels to power those speakers. Or an XPA3 for the mains and the receiver for the rest.


Tuning: I like your idea of tuning low and raising it. So much easier than trying to tune lower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/18225973


DTS for Wotw subwoofer workout.

I get no sound with that! Because of the DVD player? Receiver? It better work once I get all my gear...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/18226254


For the computer, check out our HTPC subforum. I built my HTPC over a year ago, and kind'a over built it, just because I didn't know. So it sucks a lot more power than I needed, but it works well for gaming.



For your reciever, you may want to not worry about a THX Ultra super crazy certification. Instead, get a good receiver with preamp outs and buy an Emotiva XPA5, then use the two rear surround receiver channels to power those speakers. Or an XPA3 for the mains and the receiver for the rest.


Tuning: I like your idea of tuning low and raising it. So much easier than trying to tune lower.

Low-End I


The first system is a budget microATX system with integrated graphics. As the integrated graphics supports hardware HD decoding, you don't need a discrete graphics (unless you play games).


System


CPU: Athlon X2 4850e ADH4850DOBOX 45W Brisbane 2.5GHz Socket AM2, $89.

CPU Cooler: Scythe NINJA MINI, $35.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G chipset microATX, $81.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $29 (after rebate at Newegg.com).

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200 (integrated in the motherboard chipset), $0.

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB HD501LJ 500GB SATA, $106.

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA 380 (included in the case), $0.

Case: Antec NSK2480, $75.

Total Cost: $415

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18226297


Now we are talkin'!!



If you want THX certs at those price points I think Onkyo will be one of the choices at street prices.

Onkyo keeps coming up repeatedly! That must mean something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/18226608


Did you get the plaster wall thing taken care of? If so, how did it go?


Hey, weren't you suppose to post photos of THAT job???

I'll be sure to take vids of THAT job, I'll try to do that with the subs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/18226544


I get no sound with that! Because of the DVD player? Receiver? It better work once I get all my gear...

You may not have DTS processing in your receiver, although it's basically a given these days. What are you using for your receiver?


Why the 128cu ft fascination? I still don't get it. This is the last time I'll bring it up, but I'm just trying to help you. Save yourself some space and go for 30-35 cu ft tuned to 10hz for each drive which is still huge. You probably only need one EP amp too since you'll have so much efficiency in the low bass your power handling will be low.
 

·
Bass Enabler
Joined
·
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/18226633



Onkyo keeps coming up repeatedly! That must mean something!

Some of their sub $1,000 receivers have THX Select certification. These last ones are pretty good for the price. I got a 607 for my dad and I picked up a THX Ultra2 certified 3007 but that one was well over $1,000.



Yeah...if you don't have DTS working right now you either don't have it turned on in your dvd player or your equipment is 10 years old or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/18226633


Low-End I


The first system is a budget microATX system with integrated graphics. As the integrated graphics supports hardware HD decoding, you don't need a discrete graphics (unless you play games).


System


CPU: Athlon X2 4850e ADH4850DOBOX 45W Brisbane 2.5GHz Socket AM2, $89.

CPU Cooler: Scythe NINJA MINI, $35.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G chipset microATX, $81.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $29 (after rebate at Newegg.com).

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200 (integrated in the motherboard chipset), $0.

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB HD501LJ 500GB SATA, $106.

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA 380 (included in the case), $0.

Case: Antec NSK2480, $75.

Total Cost: $415

Your looking at an old recommend system. Check out the current recommended options:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17984809


As far as the receiver, don't be caught up with thx cert and 110w+. Personally, I'd find a receiver that offers the bells and whistles you want (such as audyssey, many HDMI inputs, Advanced audio codec decoding, etc.), and get a good amp for at least the main speakers and use the pre-outs.


You could also get a refurb last gen receiver as well, and put money towards an amp as your original budget was only 5-600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts
That is an amazing resource!



Everytime I go over there I get the itch to build at HTPC.

Then I get to work and am quickly reminded how bad I hate PCs and the myriad of daily issues.



I get back home and am comforted about simply putting the disc in the player and having it work every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/18227873


Why the 128cu ft fascination? I still don't get it. This is the last time I'll bring it up, but I'm just trying to help you. Save yourself some space and go for 30-35 cu ft tuned to 10hz for each drive which is still huge. You probably only need one EP amp too since you'll have so much efficiency in the low bass your power handling will be low.

Not to mention the unwieldy-ness of it all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18228951


I get back home and am comforted about simply putting the disc in the player and having it work every time.

I'm comforted by the convenience of navigating through my entire blu-ray library backed up onto my computer. I can't remember the last time I put a disc in when I wanted to watch a movie.



Once you go HTPC, you never go back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja /forum/post/18228990


I'm comforted by the convenience of navigating through my entire blu-ray library backed up onto my computer. I can't remember the last time I put a disc in when I wanted to watch a movie.



Once you go HTPC, you never go back.

I agree there are definitely some benefits.

Although, I like new releases and am not a big fan of watching the same movies more than once or twice.


But, the first time I had to reboot or had things go awry (they always do), I would take that thing out back and use it for target practice.



Like I said, I get the itch on occasion, then I also come across a post something like "I abondoned my HTPC bought a simple Blu-ray player and it just works!"


But, who knows, one of these days I may do it, god help me.

What are they using to rip BDs these days?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja /forum/post/18228990


Once you go HTPC, you never go back.

Agree'd. There's nothing like surfing the internet and gaming on a 54".
 
1 - 20 of 615 Posts
Top