AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I originally posted this in the DVD player forum.....but i'm hoping i can get some answers here too!! )

Heh sorry about that subject but i'm sure it attracted your attention. I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what the hell is happening on my tv. I own a Panasonic TH-42pa20ou/p. I also have a sony dvd player DVPNS725P, MONSTER HTS2600 POWER CENTER, and use monster component cables. Now my prob is that i noticed the other day while watching the SPIDERMAN dvd, I think it was chapter 4, the screen started to flicker these lights. To be exact it was when Norman Osborne went into the plant to test the muscle enhancing formula. Right when that chapter starts they have a shot of the OSCORP building logo and other buildings around. The lights in the OSCORP sign were getting brighter and duller and even the lights in the windows on the buildings too. So i tried pausing it when it was doing that to see if it was the dvd player, my tv with interference, etc..... when i paused the DVD, along with it the effect i was talking about also was paused! I could even run it in slow motion. Funny thing is maybe the third time in a row trying to see it ....it would suddenly stop ding it. What the hell is going on???? Is it the SPIDERMAN dvd???? Is it my DVD player???? HELP!!!! Any of you experiencing this with the same tv and/or the same DVD player???? Any info will be appreciated.

Alex

Also that effect was happening with the SIGNS dvd.....but worse since its alot of dark shots with some ambient light. I also ordered the Digital Video essentials DVD. I hope that will solve it if anything!!!!!

:D

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Don't have any answers for you....Have you seen these "twinkles" when not playing a DVD?

I had twinking lights once - but in a totally different context - and they did not go away. Have you switched inputs and does this happen on other inputs. I.E. Using a different component (15 pin). Have you tried this on S-video and is it there as well?

Need to rule out the DVD player..

I kno wthis sounds basic - but thought I would try. BTW - Not sure the DVE will help with this.

Therese

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm... i'm hoping it's not the cables. i tried Lord of the Rings: the two towers and it didnt even flicker once...and trust me i was looking for it!! :) Oh well at least the tv works huh....heheehe :D

Alex

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Ok, here's an interesting thought, though out in left field a bit.

These displays have the contrast tracking system and such to lower and raise contrast based on room lighting conditions. What kind of lighting are you watching in, and is there a chance that some of these scenes just happen to be at the exact brightness or such to confuse the system?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Good call Moebius

I'll lay odds it's C.A.T.S. - I seem to remember similar complaints about that on the 5uy. A search may be in order.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys....thanks for the help so far. Now, answering your question about the lighting i watch the tv in. Unfortunately when i watch it during the day there is some light coming from my sliding glass door behind me (i'll try posting pics soon) but it doesn't really bother me where i sit. If you were sitting to the right of me then you'd be complaining :p At night....there are no lights glaring through the sliding glass door so it get very VERY dark *evil laugh*. This flickering thing happens during the day and night but like i said before it's not with all dvd's. I'm thinking maybe the SPIDERMAN dvd isnt the best quality.....i dunno. I didn't have that problem on Monsters inc, Star wars Ep. 2, 12 monkeys, or LOTR: the two towers (only movies i've watched so far on it!!). It's not such a big deal....the beautiful, crisp, clear images on this TV outnumber this bad thing anyway :D Keep the suggestions coming!!

Alex :D :D :D

PS:I just got DirecTV connected so now i have to figure out how to get the best PQ with that......sheeeesh!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Atori,

I had the same exact setup as yours, TH-42PA20U with DVPNS725P. I can assure you it is the DVD player. I had the same problem with many DVD's. DVPNS725P was anyway a stopgap player for me. I recently got Bravo D1 and that effect is gone. So it definitely not the panny.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the 411. Now my dilemma is to see if i can still return this thing!!!! cant find the box!! ARGH!!! I'm prob going to get a Panasonic dvd player they say it's good stuff. I want to keep the DVI open for the HDTV in the future. Thanks again....Peace!!

Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.