AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to take a pair of 6 ohm speakers and alter them such the two speakers only present a 6 ohm load to the amplifier? The only way I was thinking this could be possible would be to alter each speakers imp to 12 ohms each so that connecting both speakers would result in 6 ohms. Connecting two speakers to the same output would halve 6 ohms to 3 ohms and my receiver could not handle that, or, at the very least, run hot and risk fire! Yes, I know I could power the second set with an amp, but that would require a y-cable on my pre-outs, and also, I want to avoid using outboard amps.

The idea is that I am wondering if I could run two pairs of front speakers in a bipole fashion. One facing the listener, and the other facing the wall.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't know any way without serious alteration of the speaker. However, if you run them in series, I believe most receivers could handle a 12 Ohm load, especially if it's surround duty.

·
Premium Member
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeisa /forum/post/15519799

I don't know any way without serious alteration of the speaker. However, if you run them in series, I believe most receivers could handle a 12 Ohm load, especially if it's surround duty.

That's true, but power would be roughly halved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts