AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the HT stuff but have made sub enclosures for my cars a few times and have these 12s I wouldn't mind sacrificing for my HT

would any of you recommend this or should i buy something that is geared for a HT setup

also any ideas of what kind of a box sealed or ported

thank you for your thoughts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im pretty sure this is it http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u57RTfOKE2y/p_575P3D412/Rockford-Fosgate-P3D412.html#details-tab

Size 12 -inch

Impedance 4 ohms

Cone Material Kevlar reinforced fiber

Surround Material Poly-ether-ester

Ideal Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 1

Ideal Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 1.79

Port diameter (inches) 4

Port length (inches) 10

Free-Air No

Dual Voice Coil Yes

Sensitivity 85 dB at 1 watt

Frequency Response 27 - 250 Hz

RMS Power Range (Watts) 100-500

Peak Power Handling (Watts) 1000

Top Mount Depth (inches) 6 7/8

Bottom Mount Depth (inches) 7 1/8

Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 11

Vas (liters) 43.9

Fs (Hz) 27

Qts 0.52

Xmax (millimeters) 13.4

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Alright, that's just barely enough to run a model. Looks like a 4 ft3 20 hz tuned box for each driver will work pretty well. A single 4" x 17" port would be acceptable with up to 500 watts for each driver with a 20 hz high pass filter in place.

I've never messed with converting car amps to home use so I cant help with that. You'll need a pro amp that's stable at 2 ohms (or has a ton of power at 8 ohms) to power each driver separately unless you wire them together as a single 4 ohm load in order to use a plate amp. You could build a single 8 ft3 dual driver box with a pair of 4" x 17" ports and use a 1000 watt plate amp for the simplest setup.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You would be better off getting a used pro amp on craigslist or a pawn shop. To run a car amp you would need to buy a expensive power supply , better to use the money on a real amp. Unless you want to go ghetto and bring a car battery and maybe a high amp charger in the house.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Two nu3000DSP's into quad 4-ohm should work quite well. There are better amps out there but they are all more expensive (like double the cost, or more).

I would steer away from an inverter, as they are very inefficient (wastes power like crazy, burn-your-house-down heat levels) and they are expensive.

It would be far easier just to run your car every time you want to use the car bass amps. All you would need is a Speakon jack in your car port (with some really long 10awg in-wall wiring); and then one more cable that you leave in the car attached to the amp (speakon to barewire), connect the two together and leave your car running (there is probably laws against that). A bit ghetto, but it WOULD work... until the bylaw/EPA shows up.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
t/s specs here: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/support/rftech.aspx?kbsrc=http://rftech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rftech.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=825&p_li=&p_topview=1#knowledge

Fs (Hz): 28.0

Re (Ohms): 6.60

Le (mH): 5.8

Qts: 0.52

Qes: 0.56

Qms: 6.80

Cms (m/N): 0.15

Vas (L): 54.3

Mms (g): 206.0

Mmd (g): 199.4

Rms (kg/s): 5.4

Airload (g): 6.4

No (%): 0.2

SPL (dB - 1W/1M): 85.0

BL (T*M): 21.1

*Xmax10 (mm): 16.2

Sd (cm2): 500

4-5 cubic feet tuned to 20-23hz would work pretty darn well with a 500 watt amp and 20hz high pass filter. pretty flat response at 112db 2pi space. excursion right near xmax. that is for each driver.

won't be as loud as in a car, but still...not too shabby.

a large flared 4" port is the minimum like jay mentioned. here is one form factor for build idea:

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb12-nsd

·
Registered
588 Posts
Plate amps are good if you need the compact aspect of them but rackmount amps give you a better $$ to watt ratio.

Some options might be.

Behringer Inuke3000dsp (BassthatHz mentions it above)

Behringer Inuke1000dsp (same thing less power)

Behringer ep4000 (similar as above but no DSP, so no subsonic filter for ported subs)

They are generally considered the better "bang for your buck" amplifiers.

Others can chime in about Crown or other companies but these are some of the ones I've personally owned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts