AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at subs for my bat cave build. Dimensions are 15' wide x 20' long and 8.5' ceiling. Im torn between picking up two new 12" budget subs vs one better 15" sub. Was looking at getting a pair of Lava LSP12's for $340 total, but found a used Velodyne DEQ 15R for around $500. I know the Velodyne is better, but if I spring for the Velodyne, there's pretty much no way I'd be able to pick up a second one down the road if its even needed. I will guess 90% movies and 10% music. Which route would be better suited?


Opinions??


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspeed  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23916932


Opinions??

Buy two Lava LSP12s, download a freeware copy of REW and keep your mind open to a third Lava LSP12, in the future.


(subwoofers do not play and get along well with a room's acoustics. the only way to see a room's acoustics is through a measuring program like REW. buy two LSP12s, use REW to help properly dial them in and decide later if you should add a third LSP12 to aid in smoothing out measured results.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should note that my original budget was about $300, but could spring a bit more for a higher quality unit if needed. I prefer the thought of the two Lava's. THX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23917067


Buy two Lava LSP12s, download a freeware copy of REW and keep your mind open to a third Lava LSP12, in the future.
No. Get one 15" (or DIY). And in 6 months or so, if you have a little more money, you buy/build another. End result will be so much better.


I'd build twin 18s myself (or better, quad 18s).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,850 Posts
Velodyne DEQ 15R

- 15" driver

- 750W RMS

- 32-120Hz +/-3dB (?! - that seems like poor extension for a 750W RMS ported sub with a 15" driver)

Lava LSP12

- 12" driver

- 250W amp

- 24-400Hz +/-3dB (LFE)


I'd go with dual Lava subs. You might lose out on overall output vs. a single Velodyne, but you'll still get good output, you'll get smoother FR across the main listening position, and - according to the specs, at least - you'll get better extension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxest  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23917139


No. Get one 15" (or DIY). And in 6 months or so, if you have a little more money, you buy/build another. End result will be so much better.


I'd build twin 18s myself (or better, quad 18s).

If you read the op it say if he bought one 500.00 15" sub he would NOT be able to purchase another down the road. Not move on back to DIY section where you belong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts
For $465 I built the powered sealed 15" sub shown below. It's performance is outstanding. You need some glue and clamps and something to cut a hole to fit the plate amp. A little paint and a couple of hours of work will get you something you would pay over $1000 to duplicate from a manufacturer. Something to think about.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
Madspeed - if you can swing a bit more money I really think you should give a strong consideration to the Rythmik LV12R. I believe is $587 shipped and will get you usable output into the upper teens hz, its -3db point is 19hz. Its probably the best bang for your buck at that price point....... IF at some later point down the road you have enough money to purchase a 2nd LV12R I think that would be a killer sub setup in your room. FYI I have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs (similar performance to the LV12R) in a room 21' X15' X 8' and they sound amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23917203


For $465 I built the powered sealed 15" sub shown below. It's performance is outstanding. You need some glue and clamps and something to cut a hole to fit the plate amp. A little paint and a couple of hours of work will get you something you would pay over $1000 to duplicate from a manufacturer. Something to think about.


Not totally opposed to a DIY, although I'm obviously not that knowledgeable as to what exact pieces i would need to buy to accomplish this. I couldn't certainly follow ones proven shopping list...*HINT*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,458 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts
You can't smooth room modes with one sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23917794


You can't smooth room modes with one sub.

No but you have great bass anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspeed  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23917423


Not totally opposed to a DIY, although I'm obviously not that knowledgeable as to what exact pieces i would need to buy to accomplish this. I couldn't certainly follow ones proven shopping list...*HINT*

Call Parts Express. I don't see it on their web site but they normally have a package deal with their 15" Ultimax driver and a sealed cabinet kit made and cut for it. I used the Yung 300 watt class D plate amp. You will want some rubber feet, some stuffing, some small weatherstripping to seal everything and some hookup wire. All of it is available from PE. Add some sealer and paint and you're good to go. They have less expensive drivers but the one I used and show above is the Ultimax. It has a stiff nomex cone that you can literally hit with a hammer so I don't mind the thing being exposed. The final product weighs 85 lbs and provides clean, tight bass notes and more than enough power to shake my 18' X 20' room. You can always add a second one later if the mood strikes you. I'm not likely to do that. This unit gives me all the bass I need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23917794


You can't smooth room modes with one sub.

Room modes only matter if they occur at the LP, so depending on the room there may not be a problem.
 
  • Like
Reactions: steve nn

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23918439


Call Parts Express. I don't see it on their web site but they normally have a package deal with their 15" Ultimax driver and a sealed cabinet kit made and cut for it.
Parts-Express.


I do not need encouragement to go (AIY) assemble-it-yourself.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23918440


Room modes only matter if they occur at the LP, so depending on the room there may not be a problem.
True, there may not. But there may, and the OP won't know until it's too late if he goes for one fifteen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
Maybe I missed something, but not sure why all this talk about 12" vs. 18". If my math is right, the room is 2,550 cu ft. I would just get an SVS PB-1000 for $499 shipped and be done with it (b-stock comes in at $449). The PB-1000 reaches 99.8db at 20hz and is flat up to around 200hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspeed  /t/1498287/two-12-vs-one-15-need-help-deciding#post_23917423


Not totally opposed to a DIY, although I'm obviously not that knowledgeable as to what exact pieces i would need to buy to accomplish this. I couldn't certainly follow ones proven shopping list...*HINT*

Where is shadyj when you need him to push this 15" Dayton sub kit? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-770


That one is $339. Get one now, and next year if you feel like it, add another
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,828 Posts
Well you certainly don’t want the Lava’s imo. The single LVR would be all good with another in mind down the road as the PB1000 would. A DIY option you might consider would be the 12” SDX. A very high quality 40 pound high Xmax driver. http://creativesound.ca/pdf/SDX12.pdf You have a choice of 4 different options.. ABCD http://www.creativesound.ca/ . I would stay away from the 15” sealed option being spoken of myself http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-770 , especially in a room that size. No dsp, room gain, power nor Xmax to say anything down low.. just my opinion
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Top