AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says. I currently have one Acoustech PL-200 and want to upgrade. Would it be worthwhile getting another PL-200 and save 400-500 bucks vs the adding one HSU. Will two PL-200's perform at 90-95% of the HSU? I know nothing really about the HSU but have heard great things for what it costs. I don't mind the look or size of it. I just want lower extension and a higher dB value. I prefer one sub just because of how my room is set up but don't mind adding a second sub. I am a function over form guy for the most part when it comes to audio but I do care how things look. My room dimensions are odd because it has a bar area attached to it. It is fairly sizable. Without measuring it is probably 25 x 20 x 8 with a 13x10 bar area directly attached.


The one PL-200 was bought really as a sub I could use that was cheap until we got settled into this house a year ago. I'm now ready to upgrade. I personally think the PL-200 performs great for the money. I just want to get other peoples opinion before I pull the trigger on anything. I am a 60% music guy, the other 40% is sports (NFL and MLB). Not much of a movie watcher but do from time to time.


Anyway, I'd love to hear any feed back you guys/ladies have. Thanks a ton.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre95 /forum/post/20845886


Just like the title says. I currently have one Acoustech PL-200 and want to upgrade. Would it be worthwhile getting another PL-200 and save 400-500 bucks vs the adding one HSU. Will two PL-200's perform at 90-95% of the HSU? I know nothing really about the HSU but have heard great things for what it costs. I don't mind the look or size of it. I just want lower extension and a higher dB value. I prefer one sub just because of how my room is set up but don't mind adding a second sub. I am a function over form guy for the most part when it comes to audio but I do care how things look. My room dimensions are odd because it has a bar area attached to it. It is fairly sizable. Without measuring it is probably 25 x 20 x 8 with a 13x10 bar area directly attached.


The one PL-200 was bought really as a sub I could use that was cheap until we got settled into this house a year ago. I'm now ready to upgrade. I personally think the PL-200 performs great for the money. I just want to get other peoples opinion before I pull the trigger on anything. I am a 60% music guy, the other 40% is sports (NFL and MLB). Not much of a movie watcher but do from time to time.


Anyway, I'd love to hear any feed back you guys/ladies have. Thanks a ton.

Since you say you want lower extension, you should get a sub with solid response at 20 Hz. That suggests something different than another PL-200.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
The HSU will smoke two PL200's all day. It won't even be fair. Yes, two PL200's will indeed give you a smoother coverage throughout the room. The HSU will blow them out of the water in every other aspect, extension, output, and sound quality. If you are willing to spend the money on the HSU, do it and don't look back, it's one hell of a subwoofer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/20845905


since you say you want lower extension, you should get a sub with solid response at 20 hz. That suggests something different than another pl-200.

+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
It looks like the pl-200 is about 18db down at 20hz and begins to fall off below 40hz. Now this is not accurate and an estimation, but if you compare Ricci's cea #'s of the Rythmik to audioholics and the hsu it looks like it would have ~20db more at 20hz. Colocated doubling of subwoofers gives a 6 db increase so it would take ~8 pl-200 to match the HSU at 20hz.


The 15H will have much better sound quality for your 60% music. With tuning and q control adjustablility even better for setting up for personal preference or better frequency response. Both good subs for the money spent and the 15H costs more for a reason.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top