AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have really been looking forward to the Mae-X drivers sold through DIYcable.com. This will be my first project with a 18", so I am admittedly excited about it! Especially since I hear the Mae-X does so well in the sealed alighnment. The first thing I would like to do with one of the drivers is load it in a 5 cu. ft. (factors out to 4.20) 22" cube with a 2" baffle and run it with the Bassis/EP2500. My room is a dedicated sealed 20X10X9', so low end gain is good. I had to modify the enclosure to accept the 18" Mae-X on account of it being used in the past for the 15" RLp and the 15" SDX.

What I'll do for now is load the sealed with the Bassis in the RF corner and load the project I'm currently building in the LF corner as another option. For optimal performance to all seating in my little theater, it would of course be best to have the same like sub in each corner. This might and might not happen? I do need to put a false wall up front along with finishing the room. Two larger units in this room might prove to be a little size restrictive concerning the false wall, but preliminary measurements look like it would work with a couple inches of leeway? Sealed would fit just fine.

Option two.. 48"H X 25.5W X 28.5D 17.5 cu ft enclosure. Factors out to about 15.25-15.50 cu ft after loading. Ports will be two 6" at 38" long.

I will most likely build flares for the bottom of the ports and add a layer underside the top panel as to increase the flare potential radius from 3/4 to 1 1/4.

I haven't decided exactly what finish to go with yet. A previous sub I built on the large side I wound up veneering, but since this will be hid in time, I think not. Maybe incorporating a little stained hardwood with paint will suffice?

Anyway, here is what I'm looking at so far. Needs to be glued up after doing some port work.

SIDE NOTE> This Thread will not be a sealed versus ported Thread. I like both alignments (hence the Bassis) and really like having the option of both.

Thanks, Steve

Sealed one..

Sealed two..

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ported Mae-X

Middle

Bracing

Front view

Top, same as bottom

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ported Mae-X

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saved

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Sweet pics, Steve. As I said in our PM's, I am sure BOTH will deliver the goods. Although I am curious about the sealed sub since we have similar sized rooms. Would be interesting to see the room gain from just the one sealed and then the one vented. Even with the vented sub you should get good output near 10hz in that room. Hopefully you get all sorts of gain below the midteens.

Looks great! When can we expect some of the first listening impressions, Steve?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Scott. I'm sure I will get plenty low with both, hence the Bassis and going so large. I might decide to build a larger sealed enclosure though? The drivers are due to land today, so it shouldn't be long my friend. Every truck I hear going by.. my eyebrows raise wondering if it's the brown van.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Warp, Thanks! It's cherry, I bought a bunch of it for a couple projects.

You know that UPS guy didn't even ring the bell! He just dropped and ran
I'm glad I decided to look and make sure. Do you remember what it was like going from 12"s to 15"s? Well going from 15" to 18" from looks anyway, is quite amazing! Take a look at a DVD jacket as opposed to size! You see this Scott?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
I also have a M-x on the way and cant decide between sealed and ported.

They both will be good if done properly. I'm Bi when it comes to subs though
Hope yours land soon.
Quote:
subscribed

Ha ha, Sherv, I love you buddy

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Hey those look exactly like my 2, even down to the splotches of spray lube on the Basket and Magnet.....

Is that just plain veneer, how wide?

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn /forum/post/15499249

I'm glad I decided to look and make sure. Do you remember what it was like going from 12"s to 15"s? Well going from 15" to 18" from looks anyway, is quite amazing! Take a look at a DVD jacket as opposed to size! You see this Scott?

Nice! Glad they made it today. I remember way back when I bought my first subwoofer. Went from an 8" Yamaha to a 15" Def Tech. Now that's a jump in size!
Hehehe, too bad the DefTech sucked ass. Those M-X's sure look purdy.

I took a pic just like that back when I got my RLp18's.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn /forum/post/15499249

I just talked to Kevin and he said that he accidentally shipped my M-X's to you. I'll pm you my adress so you can forward those on to me.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
I just talked to Kevin and he said that he accidentally shipped my M-X's to you. I'll pm you my adress so you can forward those on to me.

Today 03:23 PM

Lol, you know I thought about helping out since I have two. I don't think you should have to much more of a wait though.
Quote:
Is that just plain veneer, how wide?

I forgot the second half of your question Warp. 22" wide.. 22" cube actually.
Quote:
Nice! Glad they made it today. I remember way back when I bought my first subwoofer. Went from an 8" Yamaha to a 15" Def Tech. Now that's a jump in size! Hehehe, too bad the DefTech sucked ass. Those M-X's sure look purdy.

I took a pic just like that back when I got my RLp18's.

8" to 15"! Yes indeed! I remember that pic Scott, nice!

Oh the feel of resistance when you load a driver in a sealed cube. Maybe I ought to make the pics smaller? Kind of in your face size pics if you asked me!

Loaded and ready to go. The enclosure is begging for some varathane though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I am so into this thread.

I would like to go the pr route if the stars align, otherwise it is a cube like yours.

When you get it fired up, would like listening comments, and (strange , I know) what settings you used for the bassis.

Going from a sealed 12" myself, the difference should be staggering!

1 - 20 of 152 Posts