AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm embarrased to admit this, but there are two audio acronyms I see being used lately that I don't understand. I tried a Google search on both of them but they are rather generic terms that turn up no useful results. Also any useful links assume one already knows the meaning of them.


LCR speakers. Seems to imply Left-Centre-Right. Would these be left-centre-right speakers that are exactly matched, even the centre?


DSD. I see this in reference to the upcoming DD+/DTS-HD.


Any help would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I believe you are correct about LCR speakers. They're designed to work either upright (like a floorstander), or on their side, like a traditinal center channel.


DSD=Direct Stream Digital. Add the word 'Sony' to your Google search on DSD and you'll get lots of hits.


-Tweak
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak
I believe you are correct about LCR speakers. They're designed to work either upright (like a floorstander), or on their side, like a traditinal center channel.


DSD=Direct Stream Digital. Add the word 'Sony' to your Google search on DSD and you'll get lots of hits.


-Tweak
Ahhhh! Thanks Tweak!:)


At first I didn't know what you meant by "Direct Stream Digital" but it appears to be an SACD term. It's used instead of PCM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
We all have our times, ive had mine recently too. LCR is a speaker that can be used for the front left and rights and also the center, its the same exact speaker that can be used in all three positions, of course with the center it would just be placed horizontally.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
OK, I'm embarrased to admit this, but there are two audio acronyms I see being used lately that I don't understand. I tried a Google search on both of them but they are rather generic terms that turn up no useful results. Also any useful links assume one already knows the meaning of them.


LCR speakers. Seems to imply Left-Centre-Right. Would these be left-centre-right speakers that are exactly matched, even the centre?


DSD. I see this in reference to the upcoming DD+/DTS-HD.


Any help would be appreciated.


And you argue with me about cable theory? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboon
And you argue with me about cable theory? :rolleyes:
At least I bother to ask questions rather than assuming I know everything in the world.


And what does either term have to do with cables anyway?:confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
At least I bother to ask questions rather than assuming I know everything in the world.


And what does either term have to do with cables anyway?:confused:
The point is, if you don't know BASIC stuff, how do you debate complex issues?


You must be confused, or you wouldn't ask.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Quote:
The point is, if you don't know BASIC stuff,
Funny, the real point is, is that you, boon, don't know basic stuff...your skills consist of BSing people, nothing more...and you're very good at it.

Quote:
You must be confused, or you wouldn't ask.
And you are ignorant, or you would ask...since it's painfully obvious that you don't have a clue, about anything.



Go away you pathetic troll.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboon
The point is, if you don't know BASIC stuff, how do you debate complex issues?


You must be confused, or you wouldn't ask.
Completely non-sequitur. That's like saying if I don't know anything about 14th century art I must therefore know nothing about chemistry.


I didn't know what either meant because neither had any bearing on what I was doing. I don't own LCR speakers nor am I into SACD.


Yes, I was confused about them, that's why I asked! And I got an answer very quickly, one of the great things about the forum. You can actually learn stuff here. You may want to try that out.


Of course, since you already know everything, why are you even here? To educate us? We are eternally grateful.:rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBDA
Funny, the real point is, is that you, boon, don't know basic stuff...your skills consist of BSing people, nothing more...and you're very good at it.




And you are ignorant, or you would ask...since it's painfully obvious that you don't have a clue, about anything.



Go away you pathetic troll.
Are you still talking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Youve never had to ask a question? Come on, even all of us have questions somewhere, I mean I had brain fart recently when it came to bi-pole and di-poles
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
533 Posts

Fraoch said:
Completely non-sequitur. That's like saying if I don't know anything about 14th century art I must therefore know nothing about chemistry.


No, that's like being a chemist having not passed chemistry 101.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Quote:
No, that's like being a chemist having not passed chemistry 101.
No it's not, and the fact that you don't get a simple analogy, speaks volumes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
Ahhhh! Thanks Tweak!:)


At first I didn't know what you meant by "Direct Stream Digital" but it appears to be an SACD term. It's used instead of PCM.
Hi, all. There are two parts to the SACD puzzle. DSD is the encoding method that (debatably) has higher resolution than PCM. It was created as a better way to digitally archive old recordings. SACD is the disc format that allows those higher-resolution files to be played.


So, a music file can be encoded using DSD, but then down-sized to PCM and released as a regular CD. That's what's being done w/ the new Eno remasters. Although Heyworth did a nice job mastering from the original analogue tapes and they sound a little better, I and other Eno fans are disappointed that the label chose to release them only as CDs.


Also, some SACDs can be sourced from PCM files! Most agree that DSD-sourced SACDs sound better, but PCM-sourced SACDs still sound better than regular CDs.


BTW, SACDs really do sound wonderful and I suggest you get a budget player, buy a few discs, and check it out.


Doug


PS That's about all my brain can understand, so don't ask me any more technical questions about it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

iboon said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
Completely non-sequitur. That's like saying if I don't know anything about 14th century art I must therefore know nothing about chemistry.


No, that's like being a chemist having not passed chemistry 101.
But cables are extraordinarily simple...much more simple and "basic" than DSD.


I also don't completely understand the internal workings of a computer CPU. Does this mean I therefore can't hope to understand how a DVD-ROM works? Two unrelated things that happen to be attached to the same subject.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte
Hi, all. There are two parts to the SACD puzzle. DSD is the encoding method that (debatably) has higher resolution than PCM. It was created as a better way to digitally archive old recordings. SACD is the disc format that allows those higher-resolution files to be played.


So, a music file can be encoded using DSD, but then down-sized to PCM and released as a regular CD. That's what's being done w/ the new Eno remasters. Although Heyworth did a nice job mastering from the original analogue tapes and they sound a little better, I and other Eno fans are disappointed that the label chose to release them only as CDs.


Also, some SACDs can be sourced from PCM files! Most agree that DSD-sourced SACDs sound better, but PCM-sourced SACDs still sound better than regular CDs.


BTW, SACDs really do sound wonderful and I suggest you get a budget player, buy a few discs, and check it out.


Doug


PS That's about all my brain can understand, so don't ask me any more technical questions about it!
Doug:


Even better, thanks very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte
...DSD is the encoding method that (debatably) has higher resolution than PCM...
I should have said that DSD is the sampling and encoding method. It samples sound in an entirely different way than PCM.


OK. That's definitely all I know (and some of that might be wrong)!


Doug
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
533 Posts

Fraoch said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboon
But cables are extraordinarily simple...much more simple and "basic" than DSD.


I also don't completely understand the internal workings of a computer CPU. Does this mean I therefore can't hope to understand how a DVD-ROM works? Two unrelated things that happen to be attached to the same subject.
Just think about the fact that those of us who do understand all aspects of this business may not be the best people to debate. I source my comments from the technical and, more importantly, the business side of it.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top