AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into replacing my car's(broken) stock CD player.

I am slowly converting my CDs into adigital collection, so I am interested in getting a receiver for the car thatcan play music from either a SD card or a USB stick.

First of all, can I plug in a USB memory stick into the receiver to playback music that is stored on the drive, or is that just for plugging in phones, other devices, etc.?

My next concern is how the receiver scans through music stored on a SD card or USB stick. Will I be able to scan through the album titles rather than having to scan through every individual track? I want to be able to find and select an album and be able to play it from start to finish.

Am I correct in assuming that how I organize the music/albums on the SD card or USB drive will impact how I can scan/search through them?

Finally, what about gapless playback? One of the biggest problems with going digital at home is the lack of gapless support when playing music back from USB or external drives through my main receiver at home. Do most new car receivers support gapless playback from a USB or memory card, or will I still have trouble with gaps between tracks?

Thanks for any help!
-DB

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
I am looking into replacing my car's(broken) stock CD player.

I am slowly converting my CDs into adigital collection, so I am interested in getting a receiver for the car thatcan play music from either a SD card or a USB stick.

First of all, can I plug in a USB memory stick into the receiver to playback music that is stored on the drive, or is that just for plugging in phones, other devices, etc.?

My next concern is how the receiver scans through music stored on a SD card or USB stick. Will I be able to scan through the album titles rather than having to scan through every individual track? I want to be able to find and select an album and be able to play it from start to finish.

Am I correct in assuming that how I organize the music/albums on the SD card or USB drive will impact how I can scan/search through them?

Finally, what about gapless playback? One of the biggest problems with going digital at home is the lack of gapless support when playing music back from USB or external drives through my main receiver at home. Do most new car receivers support gapless playback from a USB or memory card, or will I still have trouble with gaps between tracks?

Thanks for any help!
-DB
Yes, you'll be able to play music from a USB flash drive. Most players require FAT or FAT-32 format, so you'll be limited to a 32GB drive (unless you jump thru the hoops required to go larger).

Most (maybe all) players scan thru the titles oldest--->newest file dates/times, not alphabetically. Also most player have some upper limit of quantities of folders/files they will read.

I use \Artist\AlbumName\TrackName as my directory structure, where the \Artist folders are in the root of the flash drive. I include the track number in the filename of the songs to ensure they are copied to the flashdrive and play in the proper sequence. I can scan thru the folders and then the sub-folders and tracks within each folder.

Gapless playback == NO. The factory systems in my 2014 Maxima is very fast, but still has a small gap. The JVC aftermarket player in my Tacoma has a bigger gap. My Son's Honda CR-Z can play USB, but he doesn't use a flashdrive with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to give a thorough response to my questions--I think you covered pretty much everything I was concerned about.

The biggest negative is the lack of gapless support--don't know why it's taking the industry so long to address this issue. The lack of gapless playback is the one thing keeping me from converting to digital at a faster pace. Eveything else sounds pretty good.

When I looked up specs on specific models I did see warnings about file types and folder limitations. I also looked up how to format in FAT32 on Windows 8, so I'm good with that.

And thanks for the advice on how to organize the files. One question...when you scan or scroll through music, willit be able to search by artist or by album title by organizing the folders the way you said? Or will I need to first choose an artist and then scan through the albums under that artist?

I guess one thing I could do would be totake a USB with music into a box store and if they have car stereos "on" I could at least get a better idea in person of how the searches work.

Really irritated by the gapless problem.It won't be a problem for my wife as most of her music wouldn't be an issue, but it's going to be rough listening to my collection.

Thanks again for the help!
DB

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to give a thorough response to my questions--I think you covered pretty much everything I was concerned about.

The biggest negative is the lack of gapless support--don't know why it's taking the industry so long to address this issue. The lack of gapless playback is the one thing keeping me from converting to digital at a faster pace. Eveything else sounds pretty good.
When I looked up specs on specific models I did see warnings about file types and folder limitations. I also looked up how to format in FAT32 on Windows 8, so I'm good with that.
And thanks for the advice on how to organize the files. One question...when you scan or scroll through music, willit be able to search by artist or by album title by organizing the folders the way you said? Or will I need to first choose an artist and then scan through the albums under that artist?
I guess one thing I could do would be totake a USB with music into a box store and if they have car stereos "on" I could at least get a better idea in person of how the searches work.
Really irritated by the gapless problem.It won't be a problem for my wife as most of her music wouldn't be an issue, but it's going to be rough listening to my collection.
Thanks again for the help!
DB
There may be some systems that actually do gapless, but mine don't. At least not the two vehicles that I use (Maxima and Tacoma). My son uses his phone with the CR-Z and never a flash drive. And he's away at college so I can't go outside and try it. But like I said before the Maxima (factory system) is very fast, I'd say almost like gapless.

I really don't do much "searching", so unless I go out and try things I'm not even sure how to search :eek:.

I currently have 232 folders on a 32GB flash drive, and I use 192kbps mp3's (mid-range quality) which is plenty good enough for cars. A top level folder such as AC-DC has 13 sub-folders, one for each of the CD's that I've ripped. I have all of the folders/files on my computer, and when I copy something new to the flash drive I usually start it fresh and recopy everything, so that it remains in alpha order on the flash drive.

The units in both vehicles have functions to bring up a list of what's on the drive, but I use that infrequently. I tend to get stuck on one artist for days/weeks at a time, and simply stepping up/down to the next or previous folder gets me to their other CD's. If I want to go from the Beatles to Rage Against the Machine (many folders apart) I will likely make that type of change at a stop light or something using the dropdown list. I'll try to take a few pictures maybe tomorrow of how it looks onscreen. I don't know what units you're looking at, the two I use are double-din units that have a 6" or so screen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again!

I bought the new unit and got it installed into my wife's car.

However, I'm still not quite satisfied with how the receiver "reads" the files and perhaps I need to re-do the folder organization.

The way I have the folders set up now is a list of folders titled by artist and then a sub-folder for each individual album within that artist's folder.

What I was hoping was that the receiver would scan through the artist)= folders and then I'd be able to select that artist and then scan through the individual subfolders in that artist folder. Unfortunately things are not working that way.

Right now I can only scan by album rather than artist, and it takes a LONG time to go through every single album just to get to a particular one.

So is the only way to get the receiver to scan through artist folders only is to create an artist folder and then put all of the actual tracks within that folder and organize those so they are grouped and ordered correctly? Of course, this creates the other problem of having to scroll through a bunch of tracks if an artist has quite a few albums in it.

Seems like a lose-lose unless I'm missing something...

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
The way I have the folders set up now is a list of folders titled by artist and then a sub-folder for each individual album within that artist's folder.
That is how my folders are set up.

What I was hoping was that the receiver would scan through the artist)= folders and then I'd be able to select that artist and then scan through the individual subfolders in that artist folder.
That is how my JVC aftermarket unit works when going to the "Folders" list as shown in my pictures.

Right now I can only scan by album rather than artist, and it takes a LONG time to go through every single album just to get to a particular one.
Effectively you don't ever see the "Artist" folders? That is how the factory unit in the Maxima works. As you can see in the Maxima pictures, between Pyromania (Def Lepard) and Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits) there is no indication of an Artist change (new folder name) just an album change.

So is the only way to get the receiver to scan through artist folders only is to create an artist folder and then put all of the actual tracks within that folder and organize those so they are grouped and ordered correctly? Of course, this creates the other problem of having to scroll through a bunch of tracks if an artist has quite a few albums in it.
That might be a brute-force (and PITA) method to do what you want.

I have three identical USB flash drives, one for the Tacoma, one for the Maxima, and one for my office at work. The Yamaha mini-system at my office works most closely like the Maxima unit, just stringing everything together.
What model stereo did you install?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for writing. The photos were helpful to look at.

My wife wanted a very basic, bare-bones digital receiver, so that's what I got her. It's just a cheap, single-din digital receiver. Everything about it is fine and is all she needs, but this folder thing is a pain.

I figured that ALL modern-day receivers should surely be able to go through folders in the way your JVC does, but apparently that was expecting too much! :)

So it looks like (she) is stuck with having to scan through every single album on the card just to get to one particular album, which really is a PITA when you've got 50+ albums of music on one card.
Your JVC looks like it does exactly what I was hoping ANY current-day receiver would be able to do, but I guess not.

But thanks for listening and for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts