AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere; I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

I'm designing my home theater room and currently have a center channel mounted directly below my 110" Da-Lite HiPower screen. Often, I notice the speaker is localized below the screen. Is it possible to mount a second center channel above the screen to center the sound? Would this "smear" the image?

If it is possible and if it would improve the sound, how do I best split the center channel signal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I used to use two center speakers, one above and one below the screen and it worked fine. I tilted the high one down slightly and the image seemed to center in the screen fine. You could connect them in series from your speaker output. Or if you have a separate amp channel, power them separately and use a splitter from the preamp out.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Since all speakers are different, and rooms, trial and error is the only thing to see if it will work. Some have a rough time trying to get the speakers not to interfere with each other, others have had great results. Let us know what and how you do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did that with my Gallo Micros in recessed ceiling mounts above my plasma that I have mounted over my fireplace. Worked out great for me. I wired them in series to get me 16 ohms seeing my avr is only rate 6-16 ohms. Wiring them in parallel would have given me 4 ohms. The Gallo's are 8 ohm speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Two centers is as wrong as two lefts or two rights, and the many reasons have been discussed here dozens of times. But try it if you like. Just know that physics are not on your side.

The correct solution would have been to do an acoustically transparent screen and place all three fronts correctly. I use a Screen Research drop screen with my center behind it and on an arc and the same height as my identical left and right. Stewart makes fine perforated screens, but for my situation the Screen Research weave works flawlessly.

I wish I could give you good news...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could give you good news...[/quote]

Hey, any news is appreciated, thanks! I had a specific need for a higher gain screen and really like my HiPower. I may just try a second speaker and see what happens. If it sounds screwy, I'll just revert back to a single center and never complain again.

Would Audyssey processing or something similar help out in a situation like this?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkbusch /forum/post/0

Hey, any news is appreciated, thanks! I had a specific need for a higher gain screen and really like my HiPower. I may just try a second speaker and see what happens. If it sounds screwy, I'll just revert back to a single center and never complain again.

Would Audyssey processing or something similar help out in a situation like this?

Neither Audyssey nor Lyngdorf processing can fix the time problems introduced by two speakers reproducing the same material from locations that have different arrival times. I specifically know this about Lyngdorf after a meeting with Peter Lyngdorf last week, and having him tell me just that. You'll get lobing and cancellations, and the center image will lack focus. You'll pick up another 3 dB of headroom if you use a separate amplifier channel and another center speaker, though.

But, hey, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/0

Neither Audyssey nor Lyngdorf processing can fix the time problems introduced by two speakers reproducing the same material from locations that have different arrival times. I specifically know this about Lyngdorf after a meeting with Peter Lyngdorf last week, and having him tell me just that. You'll get lobing and cancellations, and the center image will lack focus. You'll pick up another 3 dB of headroom if you use a separate amplifier channel and another center speaker, though.

But, hey, I hope it works out for you.

Makes sense to me.

BTW, I heard some Triad speakers in a home theater yesterday...NICE!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.