AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a pair of good speakers for my two channels setup in a SMALL apt. I have an Audio Source Amp one amplifier and a Audio Alchemy preamp. Any suggestion?

Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, you didn't mention how much money you are willing to part with, but I really like a bunch of speakers from JMLabs. For more info, go to http://www.jmlab.com or check out reviews on audioreview.com

You'll have to find them somewhere to listen, but personally I think they are very honest and detailed speakers. I have a pair of Dunlavy's, but it was a tough decision in the end.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pda
Price ranges from $500-$1000.
At the risk of being labelled a "Rocket Drone", I recently upgraded my bedroom Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers to the smaller Rocket 150's. They sound pretty amazing, even compared to my living-room's Infinity towers.

They are definitely worth way more than their price - and if I were you, I would consider looking into the Rocket 250 bookshelf speakers (with the better Vifa ring tweeter).

I was pleased enough with the 150's, that I went and ordered a full set for my living room -- even though my current Infinity speakers sounded fairly good! The new Rockets arrived today... yet I am at work :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I highly recommend Totem Acoustics Model One Signatures. A nice small speaker with a gigantic soundstage.

http://totemacoustic.com/

·
Registered
216 Posts
totem mites

jmlab cobalt 806

proac tablette 8

sonus faber concertino

paradigm studio 20

psb stratus mini

monitor audio silver

b&w 602 s3

·
Registered
350 Posts
I very much enjoy my ACI Emeralds that I have in my living room. Magical little suckers. Or, if you could find a set of used Sapphire IIIs, that would also be in your budget.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm curious, how much do the Gallos go for? The little one and the slightly bigger one. TIA

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have many clients with the VMPS 626Rs, and everyone of them is amazed.

Of course it depends on your tastes, but if you want accuracy and realism, they are second to none, (in my biased opinion - I have their big brothers the RM40s)

John

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Desmond
I'm curious, how much do the Gallos go for? The little one and the slightly bigger one. TIA
The Micros are $150 each

The Dues are $1200/pair

Your pick up subwoofer with adjustable crossover....

Awesome sound for the money, IMHO

·
Registered
272 Posts
How much are the VMPS 626? How would they compare to the GR AV-1 or a dynaudio audience 42? I'm sure they all have their own personality. Anyone care to attempt a description?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bburgoyne26
How much are the VMPS 626? How would they compare to the GR AV-1 or a dynaudio audience 42? I'm sure they all have their own personality. Anyone care to attempt a description?
The 626R retails for $799, or $649 for the kit. I'm not sure how they would compare to the above speakers, as I've only heard the RM40's. I have a feeling the 626R's would be a much more accurate and smooth speaker than any of the above though, thanks to the ribbons.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've heard the Dyn's and the VMPS 626Rs and there really is no comparison. The 42's are a nice little speaker, but lose out to the 626R's in litterally every category. Imaging, resolution, dynamics, bass, speed, transparency, musicality, etc. . . All strongly in favor of the 626R. In fact, they are even better than my $3k nOrh marble 9.0's. My friend has the 626R's and I have the 9.0's. After 1 audition I moved the 9.0's to my HT and ordered the 626R's big brother, the RM40.

The thing I love about the VMPS ribbon sound is that they have all the transparency, detail, resolution that ribbons are famous for, but don't have that particular metalic coloration many ribbons have had in the past. Good stuff.

·
Registered
140 Posts
to look at the used speaker market if you really want a big bang for your buck. A quality loudspeaker is built to last many decades, so you will not sacrafice quality and should be able to go (at least) a step up in the line when you buy used.

I also have to throw in a plug for horns when looking at speakers for a small area (they just tend to be too big some times). Good high efficiency horn based mids and highs work very well when you want low volume levels - their clarity keeps my ears and the neighbors happy.

Just be sure to audition bunches (that is the fun part) to get what sounds best to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.