AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dual CSI's tonite offered an interesting comparison between new and old material. I thought the second, older show was head and shoulders above the first(this season's finale) with regard to PQ and content. Does anyone know when the second show was originally broadcast?

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 2nd show tonight was the season finale from last season (5/17/01). I agree, it also looked a lot better than the 1st one. I also thought the 1st one was a bad show - disapointing after last week's great episode in Miami.

Here is a great link for info on all CSI episodes. It doesn't have anything to do with HD, but it tells you about all of the shows.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I didn't start watching CSI until this season, but I've been able to tell easily between repeats and first runs not by content, but by PQ. Everything from the first season - IMHO - looks much better than this year.

Not that this year's PQ is awful, no not at all, but the first year's seemed much more vibrant from what I've seen and last night's back-to-back showings drove that point home.

However I liked this year's season-finale. Thought it was a bit different. The rat crawling from the model's mouth made my skin crawl.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
My experience with a number of network shows simulcast in HD is that they appear dark, with a noticable warm color balance.

ALIAS is certainly the darkest of the lot! Max Bickford is close behind, followed by Bernie Mac and CSI. The one network HD show that never disappoints is Jay Leno. This leads me to believe that the film transfer to HD may be at fault, or even that the parameters (color space, black level, etc) needed for filming for 480i NTSC are off for 1080i.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Quote:
ALIAS is certainly the darkest of the lot! Max Bickford is close behind, followed by Bernie Mac and CSI. The one network HD show that never disappoints is Jay Leno. This leads me to believe that the film transfer to HD may be at fault, or even that the parameters (color space, black level, etc) needed for filming for 480i NTSC are off for 1080i.
J.Mike: Isn't Bernie Mac a Fox show and NOT in HD? Sorry about being picky, but we need to continue to let folks know that Fox is not HDTV but instead, at best, EDTV.

Also, unfortunately, Jay Leno looks horrible here in Houston due to KPRC's multicasting on two other sub channels. Fast motion artifacts abound... :(

I do agree that Alias is incredibly dark, but wonder if it isn't shot darkly on purpose?

·
Registered
461 Posts
What your talking about sounds a lot like what Ebert was saying about SWII. Instead of going from Digital to film, HDTV is going from film to digital but the problem is still the same. Too dark and hard to see.

Check out his comments.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/eb-fe...r-ebert14.html

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
JI do agree that Alias is incredibly dark, but wonder if it isn't shot darkly on purpose?
It's completely on purpose. Nobody shoots a television drama to show off technical capabilities of a broadcast system (especially one seen by only about 1% of the viewers), no matter how much people here seem to think they should. Shows are shot to tell a story. If the story is dark and mysterious, it's shot that way. If a story is bright and airy, as some comedies are, they're shot that way. It's about the Story, people, not about whiz bang technology.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I thought the finale was a decent episode with an interesting ending for Grissom. His rat comment in the prologue was very funny.

The repeat was an outstanding episode. Just like last week's MIAMI pilot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I first thought that there was something wrong with my set last night. So in the middle of the first show, I ran the 57 point convergence on my Tosh. The PQ did not improve at all. So I questioned my eyes.

The second show was more vibrant PQ wise. (the content was better too) The first show was missing picture depth, or picture details, just a step or 2 above 24 ( Faux' show).

On the other I am glad it was neither my set or my eyes going...going. :)

Franzius

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wonder if they are going to get rid of grissom, that would really suck. I could take the RAT last night the girl "digging" her face apart was past my limit! I was grossed out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.