AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the HS-10, a Sony HD-200 HDTV receiver and now a new Samsung HD-931 dvd player, both with DVI outputs. I watch an equal amount of HDTV and DVD's, should I go DVI with the HD-200 for HDTV and component with the HD-931, which can upconvert dvds, or the other way around? which would benefit more from DVI ? DVD's? or HDTV programing?

greg

p.s. can't afford a DVI switcher yet!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Obviously, you have the luxury of trying both and making up you own mind. Why do you want someone else to do it for you?:D

My first thought would be to use it on the DVD. If you can get your DVD material to look more similar to HDTV (by improving it through a pure digital connection), then DVD won't be as much of a let down for you. The PQ should be more similar switching back and forth.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would think the DVI-DVD would offer a more drastic yield vs. DVI-HD.

1080 looks pretty darn good regardless, but 480 can look a lot better.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Try em both and see which one makes the bigger difference. I am running HDTV from my Comcast cable box to my HS10 via component, since the DVI port on the Motorola DCT5100 isn't active, and it looks great. Hard to imagine it could get better than what I'm seeing, though I'd like to be able to compare. ;)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
You want em both in DVI of course, but unfortunately you'll take a big drop in picture quality running the 931 through component.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have $500.00 try the Gefen DVI switcher, available from many sources including Ram electronics. It will switch either dvd or hd200 and is hdcp compliant

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drogot
If you have $500.00 try the Gefen DVI switcher, available from many sources including Ram electronics. It will switch either dvd or hd200 and is hdcp compliant
Spending that money on upgrading to the HS20 might be a better idea. It has DVI and HDMI inputs, so with an HDMI-DVI adapter should be able to accept both. Plus there are all the other advantages of the HS20 over the HS10.

Might be more money than you want to spend, though.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Drogot,

What is wrong with the EXT-HDTV-241 @ $249.95 from the same site page ?

It says:
Quote:
Price: $249.00 - Available late September

EXT-HDTV-241

HDTV Switcher

Now you can switch easily and reliably between any combination of two HDTV sources using only one HDTV display.

How it works:

Simply plug the HDTV display directly into the switcher output. Connect the supplied DVI cables to the switcher inputs and to the HDTV sources you want to control, and press select, or switch remotely using the RMT-2 remote control.

The HDTV Switcher is HDCP compliant.

Package Includes:

the HDTV Switcher

One 5v Power Supply

Two 6ft DVI cables

Features:

•Saves money on hardware costs

• Maintains 480P, 720P, and 1080I resolution video

• Switches easily between any two HDTV sources

• Optional RMT-2 Remote control unit

• Supports HDCP compliant devices

• Supports DDWG standard resolution

• Installs in seconds
Is there a list of current and future DVD players that have a DVI output ? Do the DVD recorders have DVI connections ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone provide a DVI switch inside a home theater receiver yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Archangel,

At half the price of the Gefen I would have to agree, the EXT-HDTV-241 looks great. From personal experience I can only report the Gefen works as advertised.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.