AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on order one Mach 5 Audio IXL 18" woofer and one Sound Splinter RLp 15" D2.

I am going to build two 13 cu ft cabinets for the Mach 5 IXL 18's, as I will order another IXL as soon as I get the first.

Final choice is 13 cu ft net(after driver and port are installed), 15Hz tune and one 8" flared port. As is my way of building I will build a dual wall cabinet 1.5" thick walls braced,the port will be lined with very thin dense sponge,flared at both ends.

Low pass filter at 12Hz and the sub will most likley be cut at 50hz,crossed to the mains.

Amp Crown XTi 1000,A ok for now. As the subs will be installed in a tiny space. Under 100W is all that is needed to reach serious SPL.

The Sound Splinter RLp 15" ,I am in WinISD ...ironi is it not. 13cu ft tuned to 15Hz ,and again a 8" port.Same filters applied works great.

Note I am not looking for an extremly low tune, 15Hz is fine as it resides under the magic 16Hz. For extra fake sound effects in movies(under 14Hz) I may go in the future for one or two fan based subs. A much better aproach IMO.And since music represents 99% of the use of my systems,a solid 14Hz with room gain is all you may need.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=853333 This older thread, it was all sealed,not the next six subs will be all EBS ,sealed takes a proverbial nap.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Instead of an rl-p, why not a tempest x? it has greater excursion, costs half as much, and models far better in that enclosure. Also, how are planning on tuning a 13 cubic foot box to that frequency with an 8" port? What crossover are you using to your mains?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12864885

Instead of an rl-p, why not a tempest x? it has greater excursion, costs half as much, and models far better in that enclosure. Also, how are planning on tuning a 13 cubic foot box to that frequency with an 8" port? What crossover are you using to your mains?

The port will be around a meter long,that is how. Resonance in the port,the port will be lined up with very thin dense foam.

...more on the crossover later....to work now...

Ok back,back from HomeDepot. I cannot get my MDF t oday as the saw blade is dull and cuts will not be as they should. Monday I will be \\ack to get the 12 sheets and have the large cuts done. At least I picked up a 1" roundover Freud bit ($70) and two cutting Freud bits for speaker and brace cutouts.

The crossover,I will have a 14Hz lower cutoff and 60Hz upper cutoff. The EQ will be unused,as the subs will be quite flat to 15Hz . External dimensions 34" tall by 24" wide by 37.5" deep,tuning hovering around 15Hz and port used an 8" thicker sonotube,with a flare to 10" at both ends. WBT binding posts,everything flush mounted from woofer to binding post plate.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the IXL 18 this morning, have the MDF. Will post pics when I get home.

The RLp 15 is two to three days away...on its way.

The building starts tonight.

Two Crown XTi 4000 on the way too. Better have juice to spare.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He he he ok I am finally home ...

I pitty the fool who forgets how heavy TWELVE SHEETS of 3/4" MDF are.

Only six sheets are cut,the other six are ...pre cut so I can cut them on my spanking new Bosch table saw.As final dimensions of the two last subs are to be finalised.

Nowthe driver arrived ,double boxed,the box in perfect condition ! I am shocked the delivery people did not throw or drop the box (like my TC Sounds crates...)!!

I will post pics below in a few moments...

Plus the MDF (6 sheets of 4x8' are all cut,ready for routing and gluing this Sunday). Each cabinet will be around 200lbs-210lbs empty plus the 35-40lbs driver.

I placed the IXL 18.4 on two Paradigm "subs" the Seismic 12 (bottom)and UltraCube 10,just to put size in perspective(cheated by the angle no doubt).

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the tracing done,ready for cutting/routing. Final MDF usage,almost 3 complete sheets per sub. The braces will look quite good.

Pics comming...

For today...just some of the new tools I have purchased for the EBS mania projects...

No pics... I am sick...too much MDF in my lungs. The room was so brown I had to use two large Ridgid shop vacs to clean (partial)the room. I am not finished. Two more days...

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will revive this thread shortly with progress pics...

Now waiting for my CSS SDX15 and still waiting for my RLp 15. I'll post pics of side by side of the drivers.

Be patient...

·
Registered
142 Posts
How many subs are you building?..and why are you using three different drivers? Are these going in different rooms or is this like a Whitman Sampler of subs?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmon /forum/post/12972766

How many subs are you building?..and why are you using three different drivers? Are these going in different rooms or is this like a Whitman Sampler of subs?

Arthur has a seemingly endless supply of money and uses it to build and buy subs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey, anyone who can build and buy subs like this is good in my book. I just wished I lived closer so I could listen to all the toys.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy /forum/post/12973010

Arthur has a seemingly endless supply of money and uses it to build and buy subs.

Interesting hobby...kind like bowling balls and golf clubs - one is simply not enough.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am building EIGHT subs. EIGHT EBS subs,13 cu ft apiece,double walled...braced like few. Be prepared to look at 260lbs/cabinet(empty) .
And yes I am stacking,all using 8" flared ports.

The title no longer holds...it is EIGHT.

Something special is brewing. Cannot stop the DIY bug. I am salso being eaten with envy to tell my JL dealer "go Gotham go". A little more wait.

Here ...

Sorry, my tracing is not that visible...

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/12973398

I am building EIGHT subs. EIGHT EBS subs,13 cu ft apiece,double walled...braced like few. Be prepared to look at 260lbs/cabinet(empty) .
And yes I am stacking,all using 8" flared ports.

Something special is brewing. Cannot stop the DIY bug. I am salso being eaten with envy to tell my JL dealer "go Gotham go". A little more wait.

damn... I thought my 300L is big... I guess mines is just a little ant compare to your subs...

Good luck... I'd love to see those pictures coming. It's pretty quiet here lately.

Al,

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOO HOO my RLp just arrived !

The world is getting better one driver at a time.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
So what subs are you doing? I assume an eD 19Ov.2, maybe a tempest X, a creative SDX 15, one of those ficar drivers, can you get ahold of some TC1000's or 2000's perhaps?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am building subs with the following. CSS SDX15 ,Mach5Audio IXL18.4 ,SoundSplinter RL-p15 , eD 190v.2 . Two times.

The TC1000 15" I will have to order the 15" Rythmik sells(I will check to make sure they are built by who I think they are).

Also I am ordering one Crown iTech 4000 to properly drive my sealed dual TC3000 15" sub. The iTech demolishes pretty much anything out there as far as sub amps go. 5000 of DAMPING ! Take that for control. I spoke with a Crown tech and this is THE amp I am getting. later this year I am gunning for the iTech 8000. The iTech 8000 is a real powerhouse for sub duty.monster power and all this with control only a few amps can hope to match.

I decided I am no longer adding XTi amps...iTech is worth the moolah to me.

Ordered a rackmount ...to add the rackmount amps. This way before I max out on space I will be in the danger zone. People who thing commercial subs are capable...hah my sub system will beoff the charts.Nothing less. In thecomming weeks I will get a serious dosage of boxes.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Plus my CSS SDX15 went out today. More orders to place ...this week.Busy busy here.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Gotta love how Arthur says he'll buy stuff and actually does

1 - 20 of 263 Posts