Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First, let me say that I appreciate all of the feedback and info provided by the members of this forum. It's clearly a labor of love for some.

I'll be receiving a new HLM507W in about a week and have two questions:

1. What's the best place to get a DVI cable? We're buying this unit initially to use as a demo screen at the upcoming Macworld Expo in San Francisco and we'd like to connect a Titanium PowerBook to it using the DVI input. I understand Monster makes a DVI cable but can't find it at any of our local electronics stores. Any recommendations on other good brands?

2. In between tradeshows, this TV will be "stored" in my living room so I'm wondering how well VHS tapes display. I've read a lot about DVD and Cable/Satellite performance, but not so much about VCRs. Obviously, I would prefer to always view DVDs, but the reality is that we end up renting a lot of VHS tapes as well, so I'm hoping that the PQ is acceptable.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Friends don't let friends do VHS on the 507 :(

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Friends don't let friends do VHS on the 507

:)

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If you are a cheap b*stard like me, the best place to pick up a DVI cable is on eBay. I picked up a new 3m DVI-D to DVI-D single link cable for $6.99 BIN with free shipping. The guy I bought it from had hundreds of them left when I got mine, so I assume he is still listing them.

As for VHS, I'd always heard that VHS has lower resolution than broadcast/cable TV, but I'd never noticed the difference. Now that I have a 507W, I can really see the difference. Now I'm not an videophile, so I'd certainlly say VHS is watchable - especially if all you are viewing is Weekend at Bernies. But the 507W does magnify all the flaws.

If you can't watch VHS with everything blown up big, I've found the side-by-side PIP mode of the 507W usefull. Put a blank screen on the other side, and you've got a normal sized picture for stuff that really shouldn't be blown up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate to ask this of the Samsung faithful (plus, I swore off Sony after owning a high end Sony receiver and DVD player), but how does the GWII handle VHS? About the same as the 507 or better (or worse)? How about plasma?

If VHS on the 507 is at least watchable (i.e. not DRAMATICALLY worse than on your typical 36" tube), I'll probably stick with the Samsung. And as Salmoneous points out, I guess you can always watch tapes at a smaller size in a PIP window.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
One basic concept to the newer tv's:

GI=GO or

Garbage In = Garbage out

I still have a Top-of-the line S-VHS Mits in my house, hooked up to my old trusty Hitachi 51 RPTV (circa 1996) and use that set to watch compressed crappy sd signals and VHS of shows that I am not home to watch and are not on a HD channel.

Your set will show the worst of a VHS picture, practically un watchable.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.