AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my 5000 series has much clearer picture if I don't run it through my cable box. So I am wondering how I can have two inputs for the same cable company. Basically directly in from the cable for all channels except the pay channels, since they need to go through the box. So only the pay channels are recorded via the cable box.

Any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Use ANT/CATV input to Replay directly from cable outlet and use the built-in tuner.

In Setup->Network and Input Settings choose to use built-in tuner for ANT/CATV input. If you want pay channels you have to route through cable box and so from cable box go to IN 1 or IN 2 and in the setup menu specify your input source accordingly. The ANT/CATV channels numbers will start at 1001. In Setup->Add or Remove Channels remove all the overlapping (duplicated) non-premium channels and then you're ready to go.

-Kevin

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
P.S. Didn't mention the obvious which is you will need a cable splitter and optimally a signal amplifier pre-split.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it did not work. I just have channels 2-72 same as normal. I tried both IN 1 and IN2, one each time, set it for Analog Cable Box, Same Cable Company. It did a connect, and there wasn't any channel 1001 or similar.

I even tried using a different cable companys choice in my area instead of my cable company. Then the channels went from 2 -123. I can't figure out how you get one of them to bump up to channels 1001 - 1072

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there something wrong with my machine or am I just a dunce?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dumb Question?

You did go back into setup to tell Replay RF is cable (Not Digital)

and that Input 1 is Cable with box?

That should do it, It Does on mine.

Remember to delete channels 02-99 in the guide,

They are going thru the Box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wanted to do essentially the same thing, and after some futzing around found out how to do it. I have digital OTA tuner connected to Line2 (SVideo) and cable into the RF connector.

I went to the setup screen and selected the local cable company (analog) for the ant/catv input and selected the local cable company (digital) for the Line2 input. Then I went through and disabled all of the overlapping and nonexistant (digital cable) channels. Now it knows to select the internal tuner for the cable channels (eg SciFi on 54) and the Line2 input for the local OTA channels (Fox4 on '1004'). It doesn't know how to control my HD tuner, so I still have to make sure I turn it on and tune the correct OTA channel before it can record, but at least it knows which input to use.

Don

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I even cleared all the entries and started from scratch. ANT/ is Cable (no box) IN 1 is Cable with Box. Since both have exactly the same channel lineup just 2 - 72 show up. And you can't tell which one it would be recorded from.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
You MUST specify to use built-in tuner for ANT input. This is what forces channels to get 1000 added to them. Also, you may have to reboot for things to take effect AFTER changing the input specifications.

I have this exact setup with a 4508 so I know it works.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use of the built in tuner is the only option if you pick th ANT/ input method. Maybe its something different on the 5040's. I spent an hour trying every thing I could think of. I rebooted it 4 times.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I did this recently on my 5040 and I suspect you must use different lineups, even if they are essentially the same thing. For example try Digital Cable and Rebuild. The key here is to give them each one with a different name.

When I gave them both the same line-up, it only tuned RF channels.

If you need an additional "rebuild", you can possibly request one for your line-up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not familier with the term "rebuild" used in this context. What is an additional "rebuild" and who would I request it from? I will attempt to use digital cable, but I am pretty sure the channel lineup is very different and would not work. I am curious about the additional rebuild though....

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well I just looked @ it, and what I have is "Cable" on the ANT/CATV (only one choice for my provider) , "Digital Cable" (also only one choice) on Input 1 and DISHNETWORK on Input 2.

It just so happens the analog portion of the line-up is the same for both Cable and Digital Cable on mine. No Rebuild options available... never mind.

If your channels aren't the same, you may be out of luck. But call SB and explain the situation... perhaps they can add the line-up you are looking for and call it a "Digital Rebuild" as another selection for your zip code, so it will fit with the current arrangement. Best of luck

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I guess what I don't understand is why the "Digital Cable" for your zip code and provider won't have the channels correct for your Cable Box?

Why not just use "Cable" and "Digital Cable" as the choices?

·
Registered
77 Posts
After reading this thread, I tried the process on my 4508 and it worked like a charm. Analog (non-premium) cable channels go through the built-in Replay tuner which btw, changes the channels a lot faster than going through the digital cable box. The premium channels go through the cable box as usual.

Stan

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I use "Cable" for ANT/CATV input and "Digital Cable" for IN1. The channel lineup from 2-99 is the same for "Cable" and "Digital Cable" choices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.