AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question 1. I could have sworn I saw the answer to this question at one time, but now I can't find it on a search: What size is a roll of Insulshield? By this, I do not mean "how much Insulshield is in a roll?" I mean, how big is the roll? I know that it is 48" wide and that the 1" are compressed. I need to know whether I can fit the roll into my small SUV or the truck of my car. I guess I'm looking for the approximate diameter of the roll.

Question 2. Can you put two layers of 1" Insulshield to achieve the properties of the 2" Insulshield? Would you want/need to? My understanding is that the 2" gives more absorbtion at the lower frequencies, but not much more is gained at the higher frequencies for 2" over 1"?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I saw the 100' roll in a friend's garage and I would estimate it to be about 3' diameter.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
robertmee and dkramer3 - thanks for the quick responses. It sounds like it will fit without a problem.

dkramer3 - thanks for your earlier post Re: Alpha Insulation. They're who I contacted. I'm headed over there in a couple of days to pick up a roll.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Since a 100' roll is only about $200 bucks, anybody in Atlanta coming up to Raleigh, NC :D

The cheapest I can find it is about $330 a roll :(

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robertmee, My wife's job takes her to Raleigh quite frequently (she drives it now that flying is such a pain). However, she's currently on maternity leave until July. But, my guess is that she'll be back there by the end of July at the latest. We can arrange a delivery, if you're still interested at that time.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Jason,

That would be great. Keep me informed as to her schedule. I haven't started insulation or drywalling yet, so that may be a possibility. :)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
BTW Jason,

Congrats on the new arrival. I was so focused on HT, I didn't even think to congratulate you!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks robertmee. It sounds like you and I might be at similar stages on our home theater. My theater is part of my complete basement finish. We're doing the entire thing ourselves. I'm still at the framing stage, but haven't yet started the framing in the HT. So, at some point you'll be far ahead of me, if not already. I'll try to remember to PM you in a few weeks when my wife's travel is up and running.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Jason,

Sounds very similar. We too are finishing the entire basement along with the HT portion. One area will be for gaming, another the bar/wine storage, and of course the HT area. I'm still pulling cable, as when I think I've finished, I remember something else I should pull (like speaker cable for possible bass shakers, or serial cable from my grafik eye...stuff I may never use, but better do it now).

I'm not relishing the drywall stage at all. In fact, I may chicken out and hire at least the mudding/taping/sanding/finishing out. I can't stand dust :(

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottatl
Jason, looks like we have the same idea in creating a user name.

Where are you purchasing your Insulshield, also have you given any thought regarding the Fabric to wrap it in. I am a little bit ahead of you, doing drywall next week. (that part of the Job I am farming out)

This stuff seems to be popular:

http://www.silentsource.com/acoustic...lorchart1.html
GOM FR-701 is the most popular choice from silent source.

Just curious, scott, but how much area are you Drywalling and what are they charging you. See my previous post for my aversion to dust :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I know we are getting off subject, but I am double sheeting the Media room for the ceiling and interior walls. cost for everything except the Utility and shop. It is costing around $12 per sheet It is around 140 to 150 sheets.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by scottatl
Where are you purchasing your Insulshield, also have you given any thought regarding the Fabric to wrap it in. I am a little bit ahead of you, doing drywall next week. (that part of the Job I am farming out)

This stuff seems to be popular:

http://www.silentsource.com/acoustic...lorchart1.html
Scott,

I called Alpha Insulation in Marietta. I actually had to get the phone number from Johns Manville (the yellowpages number didn't work) - I'd give it to you, but it is at the office and I'm at home until Monday). The guy said that they had 9 rolls and the price was $200 to $250 per roll. You need to call to schedule an appointment - they're really not a retail shop. I'm going to go by next week sometime. By the way, dkramer3 gets the credit for turning me on to Alpha.

I've ordered GoM FR701 samples from Silent Source - should be here any day.

I'm actually not even sure I'm going the insulshield+fabric route in the theater. I have samples of aurelex acoustic foam and might go that route, but I'm not thrilled with the recording studio look. I'm going to get the insulshield and see how easy it is to work with. If I don't use it on the walls, then I'll probably use it in the walls. I'm willing to pay for the experiment. My wife and I are planning on making some acoustic panels for our family room and living room. If that works out well with the insulshield, then we'll probably use it in the theater.

For some reason, my wife is actually looking forward to doing the mudding and taping. I'm willing to put the stuff up and she appears willing to mud and tape. But, we're a ways off from that, so I expect there might be a change of heart. Scott- let me know how your drywall works out. I might want to use your sub. Also, if you have any other reco's on subs for plumbing and electrical, I'm still not set on mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.