AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a little on this topic, but want to hear more. I'm currently running a 7.1 system with a Lexicon MC-1, Parasound amps, and an M&K S-150 speaker system. The sub I use is the M&K MX-150THX (one, currently). My room is about 13' wide by 26' long - with a 7' ceiling (basement).

I've "found" the "ideal" location for my sub. Man, what a difference that made! Now the question is, would two subs be better? I'm thinking of selling my MX-150 sub, and going with two M&K MX-350's. Would this "smooth" out the bass even more? As for placement, a guy at M&K said to stack the subs, but I'm wondering if putting the the other sub across the room from the existing one would do the trick. I know experimenting is the key, but just curious on this two sub strategy.

Interested in your feedback.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
BamBam> The 150 is a very capable sub. I use to have two MX125s and always had them stacked in the same location. This is generally the best idea, considering MOST rooms. However, I always recommend experimenting before finding a final resting spot. I have the same dimension room as you except I have 8 ft. ceilings and several openings into other rooms. I never had a problem with the 125s running out of gas. I'm guessing that 2 350s will give you a little more headroom, but probably not enough to notice at your normal listening levels. My recommendation is to get 1 more 150 and save a little money. Or you could sell the 150 and get a couple of SVS subs, which is what I replaced the 125s with, and I don't regret it for a second. IMO the SVS subs outwoof, atleast the middle of the line M&Ks with ease. And these are the non-Ultra SVS I'm talking about. I too have the S150 speakers for the rest of my set-up. Just giving you some other alternatives as far as woofage goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm using two 350's in my system with excellent results in a room a little smaller then yours. Mine are sittng side by side with one facing into the room and the other facing the wall. Both subs are in the anechoic EQ setting position and bass is rock solid throughout the room. I've also got an M&K MPS-5410 (aka: MX-5000) as a surround sub that works incredibly well in balancing out the entire soundfield. Given the size of your room I would push for the two 350's to make it more efficient but the two 150's would do an excellent job as well -- maybe a couple of less db overall. Stacking the subs would also work well and, as in any room, all options should be explored for the best bass response. Adding a third 150 or 350 as a surround sub would put you at a whole other level of performance (and cost) and is certinally worth looking into. If your processor does not allow you to add a rear channel sub you could always get an M&K LFE-3 from their Professional Division and put it between your surround preouts and the amp. This will allow you to derive the rear channel bass information from that "full range" signal -- it will crossover the surrounds to 80hz and send all bass information below that to the sub. If cost in a major concern you could always look into the SVS subs as I've only heard great things about them.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
If you stack the subs, they'll couple better and you'll get significantly more output than if they're placed in separate locations. More output means you can turn the level down, and they'll be more articulate. I like two subs over one because you can get the proper bass level with less excursion and you have more available headroom. Of course, you'll have to experiment with placement in your room to get the best results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.